clock radio on the Nieuw Amsterdam

I have never been able to have a plug in clock work on a cruise ship. What did you find that works? I was gold by a ship's engineer that because of the voltage or amps or whatever differences that they will not keep correct time on a ship. Thanks for whatever information you have.

Gary

I have never been able to have a plug in clock work on a cruise ship. What did you find that works? I was gold by a ship's engineer that because of the voltage or amps or whatever differences that they will not keep correct time on a ship. Thanks for whatever information you have.

Gary

You are correct. The frequency will vary as large loads (propulsion, thrusters, A/C) come on and off. This change in frequency will cause the clock to run fast or slow (generally slower), so you may lose a few minutes each day. Even the ship's master clock (the one that drives all the other mounted clocks around the ship) exhibits this, and is reset from the satellite time signal daily by the navigating officer.

Some of the TV's have a built in clock that will turn the tv on and off at preset times. The only problem is the clock will not change as ship's time changes.

Go into the menu on the remote to access the clock function.

I did this on the Rotterdam and Amsterdam.

Not all electric clocks have this problem, but it's unlikely that this issue is even addressed in any clock radio's documentation.

Often, there's a power spec printed or embossed where the AC power cable enters the clock. If it says you can use either 50Hz or 60Hz without using a switch, then the clock does not depend on the line frequency. Also, if the clock is powered by a DC output from a wall wart, you're OK. And of course, a battery clock will do the job.

Not all electric clocks have this problem, but it's unlikely that this issue is even addressed in any clock radio's documentation.

Often, there's a power spec printed or embossed where the AC power cable enters the clock. If it says you can use either 50Hz or 60Hz without using a switch, then the clock does not depend on the line frequency. Also, if the clock is powered by a DC output from a wall wart, you're OK. And of course, a battery clock will do the job.

Yes, that's why your smart phone will keep better time than an electric clock.

I have a great battery travel clock from LL Bean that never fails me. :) It stays permanently in my carryon bag. I've never had to replace the battery but every now and then I check to be sure I have a 'safely dated' spare.

I am glad to know the clock radio will stay on when I leave the stateroom!

It's just a cheap nightstand type clock/radio/alarm...nothing special and have never had problems with it not keeping proper time on the ship.

We enjoy the local radio stations...It's fun to turn on Cayman Radio, etc., when we are in port.....And we always know what time it is so we never miss a meal!

I don't like to deal with my iphone when I get onboard. I associate the iphone with work/stress so it immediately goes in the safe upon embarkation and is not touched until the sad day of dis-embarkation! Part of my cruising ritual....aka detox time!

This HAL board is key to making the most of cruising. Thanks again for the info and intel!

See you onboard a 'dam ship!

Edited by GulfShoresCruiser
typo

Yes, that's why your smart phone will keep better time than an electric clock.

Unless, as is being discussed on another thread, your phone changes time zones when you don't want it to. Especially if ship's time and local time in port are different!

Especially if ship's time and local time in port are different!
With very few exceptions, HAL adjusts ship time to match port time. One exception is Puerto Vallarta because it sits right on a time zone boundary.

I have a great battery travel clock from LL Bean that never fails me. :) It stays permanently in my carryon bag. I've never had to replace the battery but every now and then I check to be sure I have a 'safely dated' spare.

I bought some of these travel clocks (below) at an Eddie Bauer Outlet Store for a $1 a couple years ago. They had a bin full of them. It has a clock w/several time zones), alarm, flashlight, day/date, and temperature. I really like the temperature feature. I figured somebody might have returned them, but they work great. I got several so when the batteries died (for a buck) I could just pitch them. The original one is still running fine.

628x471.jpg

Unless, as is being discussed on another thread, your phone changes time zones when you don't want it to. Especially if ship's time and local time in port are different!

Got bitten by this once in Disneyland when my phone adjusted dinner reservation times originally set at home to Pacific Time. On cruises we bring a Wi-Fi only iPod Touch with our relaxing music on it, don't need to worry about auto time changes, it sends us to sleep and I adjust the clock myself as ship time changes.

I bought some of these travel clocks (below) at an Eddie Bauer Outlet Store for a $1 a couple years ago. They had a bin full of them. It has a clock w/several time zones), alarm, flashlight, day/date, and temperature. I really like the temperature feature. I figured somebody might have returned them, but they work great. I got several so when the batteries died (for a buck) I could just pitch them. The original one is still running fine.

628x471.jpg

We bought one of these a while back and loved it! Then we discovered we had issues as we were crossing several time zones and the clock would not adjust except for major cities. We were off on the time in Tahiti and ok in Sydney - so if traveling far afield, it is best to watch the time changes.

I bought some of these travel clocks (below) at an Eddie Bauer Outlet Store for a $1 a couple years ago.QUOTE]

A great deal; they are currently being sold on the Magellan's and Travelsmith sites at $24.50 and $24 respectively. I have a small battery operated alarm clock I purchased at Radio Shack (on sale at Christmas for $5) at least 10 years ago and just put in a new battery for each major trip to be sure it doesn't die when needed most!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)