Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean sailing March 1, 2015

Mama24

We just got back from our cruise on Freedom of the Seas, and I thought I'd share a few thoughts about our experience.

We arrived at Terminal 1 before 11 a.m., and the first three levels of the parking garage were already full. I happen to need wheelchair accessible parking and every single disabled parking spot was already taken. I ended up parking in the very last spot in the corner of the top level in order to have enough room for the ramp to open from my van. Turns out it worked out just fine. I realize it's not something that the majority needs, but if you need wheelchair parking plan on getting there very very early. In my opinion, the parking garage isn't nearly big enough, especially of Oasis of the Seas is going to be spending her winter season at Port Canaveral.

By the way, the signs directing the way to the new terminal are practically non-existent. Royal Caribbean is still only listed on the B Terminals highway signs. In order to get to Terminal 1, you need to take the exit for the A Terminals. I found this out the hard way.

Check in was very quick and efficient, no delays to speak of. Debarkation also went smoothly, though not as quick, and it seemed like the lines in the Customs area moved right along. Also, it was much easier to locate our luggage because they now have it separated according to your debarkation number.

At the Captain's Corner, Captain Ron said that there was a repair crew onboard to work on FR's propulsion issues. According to the Captain, it was due to be completely repaired in time for the current March 8 sailing.

Anyway, DH and I kind of keep to ourselves on cruises, preferring the spend our time on the cabin balcony or strolling around Deck 4 on the outside promenade. We did have dinner one night at Giovanni's Table. The menu wasn't at all what I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, the food was good, but not great. I guess I was expecting more traditional Italian dishes on the menu.

Freedom looks all shiny and clean after her dry dock. She's just a wonderful ship. I was sad to hear that she'll be spending part of the year in FLL. On the other hand Oasis will be in Port Canaveral, and from what I've been told, change is good.

I'm also just off the FoS as well. Speaking of dining, I highly recommend Sabor. It is open for lunch on sea days for $15 a person. Most of the same items on the menu for lunch & dinner. It was good enough that we went there twice. They were not full on the first sea day, but busy on the second. The dessert sampler at the end was very fun.

Very displeased to hear this about handicap parking :( There was always ample room and spaces at Terminal 10. I guess i will get there even earlier than my original 10:30 - 10:45 am time slot.

Do they still allow vehicles with adaptive driving equipment to park for free? My truck has hand controls and i was always able to park at Terminal 10 for free.

Thanks for your review and info :)

I'm also just off the FoS as well. Speaking of dining, I highly recommend Sabor. It is open for lunch on sea days for $15 a person. Most of the same items on the menu for lunch & dinner. It was good enough that we went there twice. They were not full on the first sea day, but busy on the second. The dessert sampler at the end was very fun.

...and thanks for the heads up about Sabor lunch on sea days. I hadn't heard about that and will definitely consider it since we'd like to hit Giovanni's and Chops as well.

Thank you for the info. DH & I were thinking of going there, but it is much easier to get away from DS for lunch than for dinner. I know that we could take him, but the idea of a yummy Mexican lunch without a preschooler sounds amazing.

We just got back from our cruise on Freedom of the Seas, and I thought I'd share a few thoughts about our experience.

We arrived at Terminal 1 before 11 a.m., and the first three levels of the parking garage were already full. I happen to need wheelchair accessible parking and every single disabled parking spot was already taken. I ended up parking in the very last spot in the corner of the top level in order to have enough room for the ramp to open from my van. Turns out it worked out just fine. I realize it's not something that the majority needs, but if you need wheelchair parking plan on getting there very very early. In my opinion, the parking garage isn't nearly big enough, especially of Oasis of the Seas is going to be spending her winter season at Port Canaveral.

By the way, the signs directing the way to the new terminal are practically non-existent. Royal Caribbean is still only listed on the B Terminals highway signs. In order to get to Terminal 1, you need to take the exit for the A Terminals. I found this out the hard way.

Check in was very quick and efficient, no delays to speak of. Debarkation also went smoothly, though not as quick, and it seemed like the lines in the Customs area moved right along. Also, it was much easier to locate our luggage because they now have it separated according to your debarkation number.

At the Captain's Corner, Captain Ron said that there was a repair crew onboard to work on FR's propulsion issues. According to the Captain, it was due to be completely repaired in time for the current March 8 sailing.

Anyway, DH and I kind of keep to ourselves on cruises, preferring the spend our time on the cabin balcony or strolling around Deck 4 on the outside promenade. We did have dinner one night at Giovanni's Table. The menu wasn't at all what I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, the food was good, but not great. I guess I was expecting more traditional Italian dishes on the menu.

Freedom looks all shiny and clean after her dry dock. She's just a wonderful ship. I was sad to hear that she'll be spending part of the year in FLL. On the other hand Oasis will be in Port Canaveral, and from what I've been told, change is good.

Thank you for the info about parking & the new terminal directions. I have heard the parking availability complaint from several people now. I find it sad that they built a new terminal and parking garage, but did not build it large enough to accommodate the crowds. Oasis is likely to cause this to be a disaster. We are planning on trying to arrive at 10:30 and that sounds like it is a good idea.

Very displeased to hear this about handicap parking :( There was always ample room and spaces at Terminal 10. I guess i will get there even earlier than my original 10:30 - 10:45 am time slot.

Do they still allow vehicles with adaptive driving equipment to park for free? My truck has hand controls and i was always able to park at Terminal 10 for free.

Yes, parking is free if your vehicle has adaptive driving equipment.

I counted 6 handicap parking slots on each level, for a total of 24. I suspect most of them were full very very early. Terminal 1 is also used by Enchantment of the Seas, which could account for the lack of handicap parking.

I found this on the Port Canaveral website. Maybe a call to the contact person at the port would give you more information. In hindsight, I wish I had called ahead of time.

http://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Directions-Parking

Thank you for the info about parking & the new terminal directions. I have heard the parking availability complaint from several people now. I find it sad that they built a new terminal and parking garage, but did not build it large enough to accommodate the crowds. Oasis is likely to cause this to be a disaster. We are planning on trying to arrive at 10:30 and that sounds like it is a good idea.

The new terminal is actually being used by Freedom, Enchantment and Explorer right now. Explorer is set to leave Port Canaveral very soon to head to a long drydock and a new home port. Oasis will be using that terminal with Rhapsody if I remember correctly, since Enchantment is heading to Miami once Majesty leaves. Someone counted out the total number of berths currently and once all the ships redeploy and there is a net decrease of around 1,000 so that should make a huge difference.

There are currently hotels offering discount parking coupons at the port (40% off) so that might also be factoring into the overcrowding.

I agree, the parking situation is likely to get much worse when Oasis starts using PC as her home port. Pre-paying online seems to be a good idea. What I don't know is if it guarantees you a parking space.

Yes, parking is free if your vehicle has adaptive driving equipment.

I counted 6 handicap parking slots on each level, for a total of 24. I suspect most of them were full very very early. Terminal 1 is also used by Enchantment of the Seas, which could account for the lack of handicap parking.

I found this on the Port Canaveral website. Maybe a call to the contact person at the port would give you more information. In hindsight, I wish I had called ahead of time.

http://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Directions-Parking

Thank you so much!

The new terminal is actually being used by Freedom, Enchantment and Explorer right now. Explorer is set to leave Port Canaveral very soon to head to a long drydock and a new home port. Oasis will be using that terminal with Rhapsody if I remember correctly, since Enchantment is heading to Miami once Majesty leaves. Someone counted out the total number of berths currently and once all the ships redeploy and there is a net decrease of around 1,000 so that should make a huge difference.

There are currently hotels offering discount parking coupons at the port (40% off) so that might also be factoring into the overcrowding.

That's good to know. A decrease of 1000 would make a considerable difference.

I had no idea that some hotels offered discount coupons. We've stayed at Country Inn and Suites the three times we've cruised from PC, and they do have a park and cruise program. We've never used it because they do not have shuttle vans that can accomodate a wheelchair.

I had no idea that some hotels offered discount coupons. We've stayed at Country Inn and Suites the three times we've cruised from PC, and they do have a park and cruise program. We've never used it because they do not have shuttle vans that can accomodate a wheelchair.

I found the park and cruise deal to be the same. Last time I did it, LaQuinta used Cocoa Beach Shuttle. Now Im sure they almost have to have a shuttle with a lift but for whatever reason, it wasnt available. They had to lift me up into the front passenger seat of the shuttle and then take my chair apart and load it.

I am SO glad Port Canaveral allows free parking for those of use that drive vehicles with adaptive equipment. Tampa did not allow this.

Edited by ryano

Thanks for your report! Did you happen to notice if the suites deck furniture had cushions?

I'm sorry, I didn't notice. We had an accessible balcony cabin. I was a little surprised to see 2 chairs and 2 loungers and a little table on our balcony. They were the kind they use on the pool deck with the blue plastic slats.

I agree, the parking situation is likely to get much worse when Oasis starts using PC as her home port. Pre-paying online seems to be a good idea. What I don't know is if it guarantees you a parking space.

One of the moderators reported that he had prepaid, but since the lot was full he had to park across a busy street and walk a fair amount to get back to the terminal.

I wonder how many accessible parking spots there are at the other terminal. I seem to remember there are a lot of them in the outdoor parking area.

Pretty sure Explorer is on her last sailing from Port Canaveral now, so soon it will be only Freedom and Enchantment sailing from that terminal. Hopefully, that will make a huge difference. I don't think anyone calculated what the berths are for just those two ships and I am too lazy to go do it.;):D