WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

As with many things it's interesting how different people have different interpretation of things. I was just on the 2/28 sailing on Brilliance and had a really nice go of it when it came to drinks. When we (my wife and I) booked we got $250 of OBC. Since we weren't going to use that on anything else we decided to buy our drink packages on board instead of prepaying for them. (We would have bought packages in any case) The out-of-pocket for 2 premium packages was ~ $300.

We had really good service at the bars we went to. The R bar in particular was spectacular with their service and expertise. I never once worried or thought about any sort of menu that others have mentioned. I like Remy Martin Sidecars and I think the bartenders appreciated that. Not only did they make anything I or my wife requested, they came up with suggestions and made new things for me to try.

I completely understand that not everyone likes to drink and each person needs to decide what is right and wrong for them based upon their own unique set of values and finances. Given the fact that we take maybe 2 vacations a year, this is just part of the cost. I may not like it but it's really nice to be away from home and job and on a ship in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. The cost was totally worth it for me. That doesn't make me an RCI apologist or anything. It merely makes me a guy who likes to get away from time to time and have a few cocktails to go along with it.

For me, I'm kind of stuck. I don't drink enough to warrant buying the drink package, but I'm not going to pay $10 per drink either. My bar tab usually run $130 for the week. I guess I'll get my first drink when I board, and then stick to my drinks in the diamond lounge for the rest of the cruise. No way am I going to the CL. It will probably be so crowded that people will be out in the halls drinking :-) Happy sailing everyone.

Yeah, I think RCCL is trying to get everyone to buy a package. :(

How long do you think it will be before the cost of the drink packages go up to compensate for people buying them to avoid the higher prices of individual drinks. Only a matter of time

How long do you think it will be before the cost of the drink packages go up to compensate for people buying them to avoid the higher prices of individual drinks. Only a matter of time

Honestly... I was shocked they didn't already

Slightly off topic, and I have not read the entire thread, but could the recent price hike be temporary due to spring break cruises/cruisers? A way to limit or recoup the damage caused by spring breakers? Just a thought...

Slightly off topic, and I have not read the entire thread, but could the recent price hike be temporary due to spring break cruises/cruisers? A way to limit or recoup the damage caused by spring breakers? Just a thought...

Not likely.............. but it's a nice thought!

Can someone tell me what drinks are actually free on the cruise?

There's a post around here somewhere with a list. I'm going on my first RCL cruise in 3 weeks, but I seem to recall reading something like this:

lemonade

iced tea

hot tea

juices (not the fresh squeezed)

flavored water

coffee (not the specialty Starbucks)

There's a post around here somewhere with a list. I'm going on my first RCL cruise in 3 weeks, but I seem to recall reading something like this:

lemonade

iced tea

hot tea

juices (not the fresh squeezed)

flavored water

coffee (not the specialty Starbucks)

Plus milk and the juices are only at breakfast.

They measure now, not weak, but no over pours either

Yeah, between our December and January cruises a couple months ago they started measuring :rolleyes:. The worst part is at nearly every bar, they didn't even fill the shot glass.

It was bad enough at the old prices to get a weak drink, but forget it now at $12. I'm over it. I hope it backfires on them.

Yeah, between our December and January cruises a couple months ago they started measuring :rolleyes:. The worst part is at nearly every bar, they didn't even fill the shot glass.

It was bad enough at the old prices to get a weak drink, but forget it now at $12. I'm over it. I hope it backfires on them.

................any large drinking establishment chain always keeps a strict control on it's "pour policy". That's where the money can disappear real quick. They know exactly how many drinks should be poured out of every bottle. Why are they going with those automatic robot bartenders? Strict control on alcohol..............

................any large drinking establishment chain always keeps a strict control on it's "pour policy". That's where the money can disappear real quick. They know exactly how many drinks should be poured out of every bottle. Why are they going with those automatic robot bartenders? Strict control on alcohol..............

By all accounts those robots spill quite a bit.

Maybe the price rise is to cover the wastage :D

What does the robot do with the 18% gratuity?

That is when the robots are working. From what I hear they only work when they feel like it. Also the drink doesn't always taste the way it should, and they charge you more for a drink from the robot than they do from the bar next door. All I can say is that you must have more money than sense if you are willing to pay more just to have it poured by a robot.

hello,

I was just looking at the pricing on the drink pkg and noticed a premium pkg, is this new or did I just plain miss it?

For quite some time they have had 3 unlimited alcoholic beverage packages: Select, Premium, and Ultimate.

Sorry to hear of the huge increase on drink prices. We are not heavy drinkers, but tend to drink more on vacation and on board ship (no drinking and driving worries). Previously we felt the drinks were priced about the same as at home, nothing extravagant!

We are sailing this Friday. May be our last cruise for awhile! I always considered a cruise a good value for a vacation.

I don't believe I saw them measure a shot once in January, the drinks were always strong, sometimes too strong. Things have really changed!

They measured on Liberty in November (weak) and did not measure on Jewel in February. I think it's a crap shoot right now.

We purchased our premium drink package back in mid January(we are Canadian's and our dollar was falling fast) This was before the increases, do you think we'll have to make up the difference, 3%, on our drinks? It is what it is...just curious:confused:

We did too and I'm thanking my lucky stars that we did. One week after we purchased royal increased the canadian pricing and I thought that was bad, now this. I feel I can really enjoy my drink package now