whale watching in Juneau with senior with mobility issues

LeDemonBlond

Going to Alaska in May with my Dad who has some mobility issues. He can walk ok but find having a walker works better for him to get around. Were bringing a wheelchair as frankly its just faster/less tiring for him.

HAl has a couple of whale excursions were interested in.

The Whale Watching & Wildlife quest I think is run by allanmarinetours. On information I can find, the boat they use is larger ( more people ) and should not be an issue for my Dad to get on. At least it reads that way as I found reference to that in the forums.

The Discover Alaska whales excursion has less people but also a smaller boat. I think its run by Gastineau guiding. I have not been able to find how they deal with someone with mobility issues. On the surface, the boat should accommodate ok. Anyone have experience with this excursion?

Thanks

I recommend the tour thru Allen Marine. I did this tour with a relative who was in a wheelchair. They took great care with her, getting her off and on the vessel. Not sure what ship you are looking at, but I also did the tour in Sitka with the same situation. I do agree a wheelchair is much easier for all parties involved. Enjoy your cruise, Kathy

Edited by 1ANGELCAT

I recommend the tour thru Allen Marine. I did this tour with a relative who was in a wheelchair. They took great care with her, getting her off and on the vessel. Not sure what ship you are looking at, but I also did the tour in Sitka with the same situation. I do agree a wheelchair is much easier for all parties involved. Enjoy your cruise, Kathy

I will second this. Allen Marine does a great job and provides a nice tour. They seem to handle handicap situations easily.

Going to Alaska in May with my Dad who has some mobility issues. He can walk ok but find having a walker works better for him to get around. Were bringing a wheelchair as frankly its just faster/less tiring for him.

HAl has a couple of whale excursions were interested in.

Double-check your ship is not TENDERING in Juneau. My Zuiderdaam trip had cruisers coming across in lifeboats as they ran out of docks. There was a letter saying something like wheelchair passengers were to remain on the ship and swimming was not an option.

My Mom's mobility is similar to your Dad's. I chose Allen Marine after talking to their representative about stepping in and out of the boat and other wheelchair access issues. He said the ramp goes right onto the boat, that there is no awkward stepping from a dock to a boat for a wheelchair passenger. You can contact them at http://www.allenmarinetours.com.

Vicki

My Mom's mobility is similar to your Dad's. I chose Allen Marine after talking to their representative about stepping in and out of the boat and other wheelchair access issues. He said the ramp goes right onto the boat, that there is no awkward stepping from a dock to a boat for a wheelchair passenger. You can contact them at www.allenmarinetours.com.

Vicki

I used Allen Marine last July in Alaska and there were several wheelchair passengers. The ramp to the pier is steep but the crew will have someone in front and in back of the wheelchair. There is a ramp to roll on and off the boat.

Edited by Crew News

I think that is the tour my DH did and he really enjoyed it.