coki or emerald

Boatingmom

Many threads compare these beaches including this one -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1993432

You're docked in Crown Bay and Lindbergh (aka Emerald) is much, much closer. Coki is sure to be congested, Lindbergh not as bad...

What other activities are you interested in? Snorkeling comes to mind...

Edited by blue_water

We have been to st thomas several times efore. I love the place. We have shopped, been to magens bay, sapphire and coki, and hired the daysail high pockets. We have always wanted to check out st john's but we're nervous about doing it on our own. So we BOOKED it thru ship but then heard bad reviews. So then we again considered a beach we have not tried aka Lindbergh/emerald. In the past, we did like the coki vibe but not the crowd. Magenns was beautiful but we hears st johns is even nicer. Any suggestions? We live near the water so we are used to water activities. We have a snorkel trip booked the day after and the private island with watertoys the port before. Traveling with teens. Help

Taxi to Red Hook and ferry to STJ to see the beauty there as you intended, take the island tour and get dropped at a beach. Total cost including the island tour is about $70pp, without the tour $50pp.

Or take the Champagne cat to STJ, nice excursion through the cruise lines.

I've been to St. John three times. The first time we did it on our own. (lots of time spent waiting for the ferry if you don't time it right.) Second time on a ship excursion on through RCI. And the last time (2014) we did the ship excursion through Celebrity called St John on your own. It takes you there via boat and then drops you off for 5 or 6 hours. You do whatever you want and be back by the time the boat leaves. They all average to be the same cost. The first way (on our own) was wasted time for us because we weren't right there when the boat left. I believe the second and third times through the ship, were quicker because the boat was waiting for us near our ship and we didn't have to take a taxi to get to the boat to take us to St. john. (hope that makes sense). The first two times we went, it was nice and not crowded. We really enjoyed our time there the most. I don't know how many ships were in port but not many. Last year....so crowded! I think we had four or five ships. We didn't enjoy it nearly as much. We vowed not to go back when there are that many ships in port.

Since you have so many ships in port, i would just go to a beach on the island and save the St. John trip for another time, when there aren't so many ships. Just my opinion.

Edited by rcprncss

I can not compare because I have only been to Coki so far. However, we absolutely loved Coki and the snorkeling was awesome!! I have a complete review listed in my signature line with TONS of photos if you are interested. :)

I'd love to see you pics, as this will be our first visit to St. Thomas. I couldn't get the link to work in your St. Thomas review. I can read the review, but the picture link is broken. Do you have another link?

Thanks so much!

I'd love to see you pics, as this will be our first visit to St. Thomas. I couldn't get the link to work in your St. Thomas review. I can read the review, but the picture link is broken. Do you have another link?

Thanks so much!

The "picture link"? :confused: If you go to my signature line, you'll see "St Thomas" and then to the right of it list Sapphire Beach and Coki. Click on "Coki" and it will take you to my review. Scroll down until you hit post #353, which is where the Coki review starts. The pictures are located within the review for many pages. ;) :)

STJ on your own is the nicest way to go, no queues at the ship and the ferry departs every hour. The champagne cat sail is also a very nice day, just depends on what you want. From your description I would suggest Libdbergh, lovely beach with amenities and activities and not nearly as congested as Coki.

• 2 weeks later...
STJ on your own is the nicest way to go, no queues at the ship and the ferry departs every hour. The champagne cat sail is also a very nice day, just depends on what you want. From your description I would suggest Libdbergh, lovely beach with amenities and activities and not nearly as congested as Coki.

Hi, I think I'm too nice! I can't seem to get the taxis to take me to Lindberg Beach, they all want to push me in the direction of some place they are already going, like Coki or Megan's Bay. I guess I have to push back harder or hire someone like I did to get taken to Secret Harbor a few years back, LOL Laurie

Yes you need to be firm! ;)

You are right, most ppl are herded to Magens, and drivers like to deliver you to Coki where friends and family work.

Lindbergh is a good alternative - just say no to Magens and Coki!:D

If you are alone or just a couple, most taxi drivers may not be willing to take you to Emerald during the busy season. You could waste precious time arguing with them or trying to report them.

Best to make advance arrangements if you're at Havensight and want to go to Emerald. Avoid the hassle and save time.

Edited by Ms411

Looks like just 2 ships in port so not a bad day. We visited Honeymoon Beach on WI while staying on the island with 2 ships in port that day and it wasn't crazy there that day but it got a little full as the smaller charters stopped for lunch. But any spot that day will be a good choice - enjoy!:)

Looks like just 2 ships in port so not a bad day. We visited Honeymoon Beach on WI while staying on the island with 2 ships in port that day and it wasn't crazy there that day but it got a little full as the smaller charters stopped for lunch. But any spot that day will be a good choice - enjoy!:)

Meant to add that Heidi's or Dinghy's Beach Bar would be a good lunch spot on WI, we liked the fish sandwich at Dinghy's, and Heidi's menu looked great and everyone there was happy. A nice lady who sailed to STT and lives on her boat provides free rides (for tips) from the ferry dock to and from Honeymoon. I understand there's also a larger boat that is dedicated to taking folks over who are on the shop excursion and I don't know if that drops you at Honeymoon or at the ferry dock. But it's easy to take the ferry, you just need to obtain tokens before getting on the ferry. We went upstairs to the office, I'm hoping these are available at your excursions desk - can anyone confirm whether that is the case or nor?

Edited by blue_water

Our family just returned and we visited Coki beach and we did the Sea Trek adventure at Coral World. It WAS AWESOME!! Highly recommend Coki if you like to snorkel. We were the first ones at the beach at 8:30 AM, but by the time we left around 3 PM, the place was very busy (yet not too busy for us).

Taxis are readily available to take you back to dock. $8 per person each way. We had planned on visiting Sapphire after the morning at Coki, but we were having so much fun we decided to stay!