Pinnacle Grill tipping

Ranch Cruiser

Ranch Cruiser, Many on these boards leave a tip for exceptional service in the Pinnacle restaurant. We hand it to the steward in cash. Once we left it on the table and did not feel comfortable with it after we left the restaurant. There is no place on the receipt to add a tip. If you have an alcoholic beverage it will be added to your bill with the gratuity.

We've only been on one HAL ship that had the Pinnacle and didn't try it. We were only on a 7-day cruise and really liked our table mates. We'll be on the Volendam in February for a 10-day and probably will give it a try. For some reason our TA put us in a table for two so it's not like we'll be missing the normal interaction we enjoy.....though I'm thinking I'll ask to be moved to a larger table. Anyhow, thanks for this thread as it reminds me to think about tipping the waiter in the Pinnacle if we give it a try this time.

We've only been on one HAL ship that had the Pinnacle and didn't try it. We were only on a 7-day cruise and really liked our table mates. We'll be on the Volendam in February for a 10-day and probably will give it a try. For some reason our TA put us in a table for two so it's not like we'll be missing the normal interaction we enjoy.....though I'm thinking I'll ask to be moved to a larger table. Anyhow, thanks for this thread as it reminds me to think about tipping the waiter in the Pinnacle if we give it a try this time.

Hey Randy, just a heads up! If you'd rather sit at a larger table, have your TA put that request in now rather than wait until you're on the ship where you have to ask the Maitre 'd

Have a great cruise!

PS

Try the Pinnacle, it's a great experience!

John - You're absolutely right......I most probably will call my TA and get it changed before the cruise. We will have access to the Neptune Lounge and I thought about waiting until we boarded and let them sort it out but not sure I want to take that chance. Thanks Marine from the Army!

guts_19.jpg.3ceb13d58595e2cc18a76e33fb1abd61.jpg

Is the tip in the Pinnacle Grill left in cash?????

Thanks

Denny

Denny,

HAL has instituted a $10 per person per day service charge which covers all crew members, including the Pinnacle Grill staff. While you are always welcome to leave additional gratuities as you please, you should not feel compelled to do so; it is completely at your discretion.

Others may say that the Grill staff only receives "pennies" from your daily service charge. Do the math and calculate how 5-10 pennies per person per day on an 1,800 passenger ship will add up for the Pinnacle's small staff. With HAL's (relatively) new policy, additional tipping is not required and should not be expected. An additional tip is optional, not required, and you should never let yourself feel inferior (or cheap) if you decide to leave no extra tip.

That said, if you wish to leave an additional (optional) gratuity for extraordinary service, take greenbacks.:)

If you were to leave the tip on the table at the end of the dinner, would it not be shared with those who served us? How would you give each one individually a tip? They might not necessarily be around when you decided to leave. I am trying to visualize the evening and I cannot image them standing around waiting for a tip from us. What would happen, do you think, I we just left the tip on the table, like we do at restaurant usually.

RANDY.....

Please don't settle for your TA putting you at a seating you do not want.

There is plenty of time between now and February for you to advise your TA that you don't want a table for two but rather a larger table. Do not let them 'fool' you into thinking that you can't be changed to what you want.

It isn't up to the TA to decide what sort of table you want. It is up to you.

While it is true the Concierge would try to help you when you board, it is very much harder because all of the table assignments have been made and then the Maitre d' has to wait to see if anyone at a larger table wants to leave it and he can swap your seating and theirs.

Do it now.

If you were to leave the tip on the table at the end of the dinner, would it not be shared with those who served us? How would you give each one individually a tip? They might not necessarily be around when you decided to leave. I am trying to visualize the evening and I cannot image them standing around waiting for a tip from us. What would happen, do you think, I we just left the tip on the table, like we do at restaurant usually.

We have never just left the tip on the table as my DH likes to hand it to the stewards. He shakes the stewards hand, thanks him and hands him cash. IF you were to leave it on the table, it's okay. The stewards would get it but it seems a little nicer to extend the thank you directly.

Pinnacles are not that big and there are not that many stewards so there would be no confusion as to which steward served your table.

S7S - Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go back to the TA and ask for a change to a larger table. I actually hadn't talked to the TA about it and was just a bit surprised when I noticed they'd gotten us a table for two since we'd not discussed table preference one way or the other. I don't think they'll have any trouble, at least from their end, in asking for the change. Naturally my DW is like "And there's a problem with just having me to talk to at dinner?" It's one of those questions husbands hate to hear or answer. :rolleyes:

Usually it's harder to get tables for two, which is what hubby and I always request.

S7S - Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go back to the TA and ask for a change to a larger table. I actually hadn't talked to the TA about it and was just a bit surprised when I noticed they'd gotten us a table for two since we'd not discussed table preference one way or the other. I don't think they'll have any trouble, at least from their end, in asking for the change. Naturally my DW is like "And there's a problem with just having me to talk to at dinner?" It's one of those questions husbands hate to hear or answer. :rolleyes:

Archived