HELP!! Fiance now scared to cruise!

pls5286

seriously, this is a joke right.

You do know more people are killed each year by vending machines falling on them then go overboard a cruise ship and die.

Come on get a grip

This us a good one.

And, though a bit hard to swallow, the comment about getting a new fiance might be worth a consideration.

Millions of people cruise each year. Do you think they would stay in business if people were falling off their ships?

This is about the most irrational thing I have heard in some time. What else is he afraid of.

If he really doesn't want to turn his man card in and stay home, he could walk around the ship wearing a fall protection harness with a lanyard attached to the ship. Just ask chengkp75 -- this is typical of what crew use to stay out of the drink.

He'll look exceptionally manly wearing all this gear... hard hat is optional, but I'd go with the whole package. Maybe get him a pink one.

fallpro1.jpg

Good lord, people, the man has a phobia. You can try rationalizing but, as we all know, phobias aren't rational and can be terrifying and debilitating. If he is truly this scared, cancel the cruise and book a nice hotel somewhere you both might enjoy. Why would you want to drag a terrified human being somewhere they are afraid of? Especially for a honeymoon.

Now, a suggestion to help see if he can overcome his fear- do you live local to the cruise port? Did you use a TA to book ( or know a local TA)? A TA can often get access to a ship the day it comes into port for a tour or lunch. They are often allowed to bring guests. You have a while to try to arrange this so he can get a feel for the actual ship.

So you're a TA and a psychiatrist -- excellent! Thank you, doctor!

It doesn't take a psychologist to recognize an irrational fear. But, since you asked, I actually have a PhD in Industrial Psychology with a FT job in that field. Being a TA is a small, fun, side job for me!

Good lord, people, the man has a phobia. You can try rationalizing but, as we all know, phobias aren't rational and can be terrifying and debilitating...

If truly a phobia and realypysch issue, okay.

If just a paranoid irrational naive person, think again. How many more skeletons in the closet?

Some of things that everyday people believe make me wonder. Like those that think envelope glue has bugs in it.

Or that our moon mission was faked.

Or......

It doesn't take a psychologist to recognize an irrational fear. But, since you asked, I actually have a PhD in Industrial Psychology with a FT job in that field. Being a TA is a small, fun, side job for me!

Well, alrighty then... I was joking with you, mostly but I find your area of study fascinating. I work in occupational safety. IWO psychology is a huge gap in my field. Only now, within the past 4 or 5 years, are we starting to take a genuine look at behavioral habits as they relate to worker safety combined with a healthy balance of not blaming the worker for hazardous conditions present in the workplace. It is a complex dynamic in need of a displaced academic approach. For the most part, though, where the rubber meets the road, we don't get it right... at all.

WAY off topic now, but I'd be delighted to meet you on a ship one day and chat a bit about the topic.

Anyway... blah blah... cheers! :)

Edited by triptolemus

Good lord, people, the man has a phobia. You can try rationalizing but, as we all know, phobias aren't rational and can be terrifying and debilitating. If he is truly this scared, cancel the cruise and book a nice hotel somewhere you both might enjoy. Why would you want to drag a terrified human being somewhere they are afraid of? Especially for a honeymoon.

Now, a suggestion to help see if he can overcome his fear- do you live local to the cruise port? Did you use a TA to book ( or know a local TA)? A TA can often get access to a ship the day it comes into port for a tour or lunch. They are often allowed to bring guests. You have a while to try to arrange this so he can get a feel for the actual ship.

Can it really qualify as a phobia if he was totally fine with the trip up until reading sensationalized recent news items?

Let me pick a few nits with your statement. I agree that you cannot "accidentally" fall overboard. You can, however, make a very stupid decision (whether fueled by alcohol or the immortality of youth), and fall overboard. This is not an "accident" regardless of how tragic it ends, it took semi-conscious decision to put themselves in harms way. This is probably the most common cause of overboards, people sitting on balcony railings, people climbing around balcony dividers, or as another poster on another thread posted a picture link, standing on top of a lifeboat at sea.

Unless the OP's fiancé is a center for the NBA, there is no way that he could fall overboard, given a minimum railing height of 42", and many are 46". I've been working on ships for 40 years, including 4 years on cruise ships, and have never once seen a person go overboard, and that includes crewmembers working over the side of the vessel.

Hi chengkp I don't want to hijack this thread but I've always wanted to discuss lifeboats, evacuations, complications of such, etc. If you're game let me know and I will make a separate new post in ask a cruise section. [emoji568]

As I've told you before that is in my signature even tho it doesn't show up in my profile I don't type it every time

*Living large one week at a time*

You haven't told me that... but you probably told someone else.

You're using a mobile forums app... I get it now.

Maybe you should just delete it. I mean, I trust you're living large... those who live large don't need to tell anybody about it... they just do it! :)

How about you find out the number of folks that cruise each year. Google it. Everyone, except for a very, very, very tiny few, go on a cruise and do not fall overboard.

And if he has a fear of that, remind him that he does not have to stand right at the railing to have a nice time enjoying the outdoor decks and views and oceans. I get a little nervous when standing right at the railing and looking over. Not sure why, but I do. I feel better when being a bit further back from the railing relaxing.

Or if he hears honeymoons on ships cause kids. [emoji51]

It doesn't need to be a honeymoon.....we have a Princess daughter and Norwegian son. Yup, seriously....no joke. We were actually a bit nervous when we took our Disney cruise.....but, alas, no Disney child materialized.

What I will add to this discussion is that more people die driving to the cruise ship than fall overboard while on it. That is a statistical fact.