HELP!! Fiance now scared to cruise!

pls5286

My fiancé and I are booked on the Sky for 4 days for our honeymoon on June 22. My DD is all taken care of thanks to church camp schedule and her big brother volunteering to babysit his sister (she is 12, he is 18) for 1 day and get her to church to leave. We picked this week for this reason.

Now the problem, he has seen all the stories about the person that fell overboard on CCL. Now he is scared to cruise. I have tried to tell him that the railings are very high and have plexiglass over them. I also said it takes effort to go overboard, not simply stumble, but he is nervous.

Any advice I can use to convince him that this will be fun and he will be safe other than the rail height?

TIA

Trust me, you cannot go over the railing on a cruise ship unless you're doing something stupid and/or you're drunk. Oh, I guess there's one other possibility - someone tosses you over. I don't believe I've ever seen, read or heard a report about someone falling off a cruise ship accidentally under "regular" circumstances. If that's not enough to reassure your fiance, then he just believes what he wants to believe.

I'd cancel the cruise and do a land vacation, because you don't want him stressing during your honeymoon!

I'd cancel the wedding. bwahahaha. Just kidding OP. As others have said, tell him to get a grip.

My husband is fearful that I will throw him overboard....rightfully so too. :rolleyes:

All I can suggest is that you find photos and videos of your specific ship that show people standing by the railings. Ask him - what would these people in this photo have to do to "fall over" this railing? Is it a physical possibility for them to just "go over?" He should be able to determine that it's not.

It's hard to fight general uneasiness -- if he were afraid of sinking, that's a pretty hard one to combat. But the railing issue should be something he can conquer with the evidence of his own eyes.

If you can find a place around town with similar railings, take him there, and point out the resemblence, that might help, too.

You can also assure him that you'll stand between him and the railing at all times :)

Edited by DaisyGoldberg

If he will not get excessively drunk, then stand or sit on one of the safety railings around the ship outside areas, or sit on the protective railing around the balcony rooms' balconies with his feet hanging over the edge of the moving ship, then tell him that I promise him he will not even get close to falling off the ship. But.....he must adhere to those requirements.

Tell him to man up! Only morons fall off cruse ships, he has a higher chance of getting in a car accident or dying on the toilet than falling off the ship, sounds like a cop out to me

*Living large one week at a time*

Well, now I've heard everything. Think about this. At peak times such as Easter and Christmas vacation and summer, there can be as many as 600 children on board. Maybe more. No one would take their child on a cruise if they were worried about falling overboard. Your fiancé is a grown man but maybe he has other issues about not wanting to cruise that he is not telling you. Better to find out now.

I agree with the other posters that there is no way you can accidentally fall overboard on a cruise ship - you either have to jump or be thrown.

Simple pushing would not work because the barriers (whatever type) are just too high.

Youtube is a really good resource for information on lots of things including cruise ships. Here are just a few videos on the Sky to get you started

balcony stateroom -

Sky "tour" - just one of many. Looks like this was made with some sort of selfie stick? Lol read the youtube notes and answered my own question- $15 camera mono pod from Best Buy used with their GoPro.

Seriously, Larry and I discovered cruising in 2001 and since retiring it is our very most favorite type of vacation. As we get older our cruises get more frequent :) We could get in an accident on the way to the airport or the plane could go down or the ship could sink but we could also die in our sleep. There are no guarantees in life so we're just going to continue doing what we enjoy while we can.

I agree with the other posters that there is no way you can accidentally fall overboard on a cruise ship - you either have to jump or be thrown.

Simple pushing would not work because the barriers (whatever type) are just too high.

Let me pick a few nits with your statement. I agree that you cannot "accidentally" fall overboard. You can, however, make a very stupid decision (whether fueled by alcohol or the immortality of youth), and fall overboard. This is not an "accident" regardless of how tragic it ends, it took semi-conscious decision to put themselves in harms way. This is probably the most common cause of overboards, people sitting on balcony railings, people climbing around balcony dividers, or as another poster on another thread posted a picture link, standing on top of a lifeboat at sea.

Unless the OP's fiancé is a center for the NBA, there is no way that he could fall overboard, given a minimum railing height of 42", and many are 46". I've been working on ships for 40 years, including 4 years on cruise ships, and have never once seen a person go overboard, and that includes crewmembers working over the side of the vessel.

Chengkp75, I'm honored you decided to pick nits with my post :) I am a cruise critic addict as well as a cruise addict and I really appreciate the extra information garnered from your experience that you provide in your posts.

We all have weird fears - they're called phobias for a reason but you can reassure him that you can't accidentally fall overboard. I should post a picture of my husband standing on the deck chair in order to point the camera through the partitions to get a shot of Freedom Tower - that's how high the decks are.

Hell .....marriage is more dangerous than a cruise ship *LOL*

Tell him to relax . Like others have said you can not just slip or fall off a cruise ship unless you are forced, try some real stupid stunt , or toss yoirself overboard on purpose

All I can suggest is that you find photos and videos of your specific ship that show people standing by the railings. Ask him - what would these people in this photo have to do to "fall over" this railing? Is it a physical possibility for them to just "go over?" He should be able to determine that it's not.

It's hard to fight general uneasiness -- if he were afraid of sinking, that's a pretty hard one to combat. But the railing issue should be something he can conquer with the evidence of his own eyes.

If you can find a place around town with similar railings, take him there, and point out the resemblence, that might help, too.

You can also assure him that you'll stand between him and the railing at all times :)

How about watching the ships go out around 4 or 5 on the webcams? The most closeups I see when the ship goes by is the one from port Canaveral or FLL. Those cameras can zoom in close.

It might be better to fly somewhere and do a land vacation.

If someone has such fears after one person went over (I know there are more) and reason does not work, do not go there.

We have a 30+ cruise history and have never felt we could come close to going over and have no intention either.

But fears are fears and reconize that.

I agree with another poster than I feel safer on ships than I do driving in a car. At least I am in more control than driving with many crazies on the road.

Remind him how many elderly people that aren't very stable on their feet, use canes and walkers, etc., and also toddlers/children that aren't known for paying much attention to their surroundings when they are running around, are sailing on cruise ships every year and none of them "accidentally" stumble and fall overboard. Unless you deliberately climb over the railing - or someone throws you over - it just doesn't happen. You have to put some effort into falling off a cruise ship.

If someone has such fears after one person went over (I know there are more) and reason does not work, do not go there.

That's a good point...there might be more to this fear or his reluctance to go on a cruise, you have to decide how far you're willing to push it.

Edited by Illyria