Best method of payment

Once the cruise is all paid for, what is the best method to pay for purchases on the ship? Really do not want use my debit card. Is it better to use a credit card or cash? Thanks!!

Easier to use a credit card because you don't have to wait in line at Guest Services to pay off your bill on the last night.

Once the cruise is all paid for, what is the best method to pay for purchases on the ship? Really do not want use my debit card. Is it better to use a credit card or cash? Thanks!!

We always use our credit card. You fill out the information when do your "check in" on line and then you don't have to do anything else other than present the same credit card at check-in at the Terminal.

You can check your account on the TV during the cruise or stop at the Purser's desk (Guest Services) for a print out of your bill anytime during the cruise.

Have a great cruise.

:)

I do a cash account setup and pre purchase OBC through Gifts and Gear. Generally have some left so I go down around midnight on the last night and "cash out". No lines to deal with so far.

Between debit card and credit card though, credit card is the only way to go.

I never use my debit card for travel. The "hold" policies seem to vary from place to place, and it's annoying when you get home and the "hold" on real money is still there. On a credit card, that is never an issue.

I open a credit card account, and on the last night I pay with cash. During the cruise I am never bothered to visit guest services to update my account. I only have to stand in line once, on the last night of the cruise, to pay off my balance in cash. It usually does not take long (I avoid the line at dinner time, because that is when it seems longest).

Credit card is best. Less money to carry. If you paid for everything, including tips and drink packages, than your final bill would be minor. You can always pay off your credit card bill after the cruise. Credit Cards also offer protection, and they do not tie up your cash.

Tell them you want to pay cash then at the end of the cruise either use a debit card or credit card. That way RCI will not put a stop on the card which has happened to us before, went to use the card shore side only to have it refused, had to call bank to find out why and told the RCI had put a holding request on the card. Now only tick the cash box when checking in.

Tell them you want to pay cash then at the end of the cruise either use a debit card or credit card. That way RCI will not put a stop on the card which has happened to us before, went to use the card shore side only to have it refused, had to call bank to find out why and told the RCI had put a holding request on the card. Now only tick the cash box when checking in.

Well that would depend on the credit limit on the credit card. We've always used a credit card checking in on the ship and never had it declined at a port. RCCL nor anywone else puts a "Stop" on your card. But perhaps a hold for a certain amount of money........

Either way (cash or credit) there is no good reason to ever use a debit card.

Edited by bouhunter

They really should only be used at your bank!!!

Huh? :confused:

Sigh. I know its a waste of time replying to you as you will never return to the same thread twice but what, exactly, does this mean? My debit card carries the SAME zero liability protection your credit card does :rolleyes: And the two times my debit card has been compromised, my bank put the money back in my account THAT day. Does your credit card do that? :confused:

The ONLY reason I wont recommend using a debit card for Seapass is because of the holds that may or may not happen.

I wont hold my breath waiting on a reply.

Sigh. I know its a waste of time replying to you as you will never return to the same thread twice but what, exactly, does this mean? My debit card carries the SAME zero liability protection your credit card does :rolleyes: And the two times my debit card has been compromised, my bank put the money back in my account THAT day. Does your credit card do that? :confused:

The ONLY reason I wont recommend using a debit card for Seapass is because of the holds that may or may not happen.

So true - she never, ever does. But it's got her up to 65,000 posts!:rolleyes:

Funny that you say that about your debit card, as mine is the same. On another thread entitled Debit vs Credit, I had made the same statement and was basically called a liar in not so few words and that I didn't know what I was talking about. Obviously some people don't know that consumer protections are increasing with debit cards.

Credit card is best. Less money to carry. If you paid for everything, including tips and drink packages, than your final bill would be minor. You can always pay off your credit card bill after the cruise. Credit Cards also offer protection, and they do not tie up your cash.

Credit card is so easy.

I just do not understand why so many people have trouble with this.

Easy.

Cheap.

Free.

Simple.

Because not everyone has a credit card or do not wish to use them.

And I don't understand that either. (other than those that can not have them for financial history or self control issues). After all, they are free.

I have run into people that say they have zero cards, or just one card. And they are as proud as a peacock of that.

Edited by garycarla

And that's their prerogative. Maybe they do have spending issues and don't want to be tempted. I personally don't use my credit cards very much--no need to

And, I agreed earlier that those with spending issues (tempted) it may not best. I get that.

For others, credit cards are much easier to deal with.

Our flights to FTL and return from Barcelona, and one hotel are all covered with points using our credit cards.

For those that COULD have cards, they are apparently PROUD they are paying cash for flights and hotels we get for free. Good for them. And also proud they could be stranded in a distant city with limited access to funds. Cool stuff.

Edited by garycarla

And,I agreed those with spending issues (tempted) it may not best.

For others, credit cards are much easier to deal with.

Our flights to FTL and return from Barcelona, and one hotel are all covered with points using our credit cards.

I agree. Those that aren't using credit to buy everything they can and paying off each statement are losing thousands of cash back, free flights, cruises, hotels.