another Explorer specialty restaurant announced...

Portolan

My guess is Regent will never put in an Indian restaurant because too many people dislike Indian food or are not familiar enough with it. There is a reason most specialty restaurants are either Italian, steak houses or possibly French. An Asian fusion type restaurant sometimes works too because it's not too specific and gives people options. Only a mega ship like RCCL or Norwegian where they may have twenty restaurants on board can afford to have something as specific as Indian. jmo.

I ordered an INdia curry several times on Regent cruise last Nov-Dec . IT was billed as "mild" but I asked for SPICY! That's the way I like it! I like almost all veggies.

I too am a big fan of the Indian curry on Regent and ask for it hot as they make it not very spicy to please more people I guess. But I don't see them ever putting in an indian restaurant. Just too exotic for a significant portion of the passengers.

Rachel, when we were on the Voyger several years ago we had a Insian Butler. I really like Indian food so we placed an order with the butler to have in our suite. I told him I like it real spicy. No worries on that end as he had his own personal spices and would lend them to the chef and he had to clear this order with the F&B manager which we understood because this was not a ship provision.

We know good Indian food and this meal was excellent. I son't think Indian food would go over very well on luxury lines because of certain spices used in cooking. For us it was perfect. We have tried Indian food on Crystal but it did not hit the mark like we had on the Voyager.

Edited by Suite Travels

Suite Travels - have you tried making a special request on Crystal for an Indian meal? Agree that Indian would not make it as a specialty restaurant but we love the cuisine nevertheless. In terms of spice level, there are some local restaurants that provide a small array of spices on the table so you can adjust the level to your taste. While this may not be as good as having the spices cooked into the dish, it does avoid having bland food when you are hoping for something with a bit of a kick. This may be something that cruise lines should think about.

Suite Travels - have you tried making a special request on Crystal for an Indian meal? Agree that Indian would not make it as a specialty restaurant but we love the cuisine nevertheless. In terms of spice level, there are some local restaurants that provide a small array of spices on the table so you can adjust the level to your taste. While this may not be as good as having the spices cooked into the dish, it does avoid having bland food when you are hoping for something with a bit of a kick. This may be something that cruise lines should think about.

Yes we have made a special request on Crystal but nothing like what we had on the Voyager. My tolerance for hot spice is very high and our butler could not believe I could eat such spicy food.

I have never had boeuf tartare well done. In America it is usually raw. Is that a European thing? :D

Funny! when I made that comment it never occured to me that in America you use the term "well done" for a cooked piece of meat!! Of course tartare is raw, and when "well done" made with raw egg yolk and cognac too... !!

We had a great Indian experience on the Mariner once - our lovely butler, Pritham, asked if there was anything he could do to make our cruise more enjoyable and I said "Indian dinner please". Pritham is quite amazing. All he said was "when would you like it?" And we settled on the following evening. We were served a full Indian dinner - absolutely delicious - in the Compass Rose. People stopped by our table and asked how we had managed to get it!

Gnomie - I have that book, given to me by the chef at Rasoï when I was taking cooking lessons there. Have you tried the cardomon panna cotta? It is to die for!

And Jackie - do come to Switzerland but please see more than Geneva. Geneva is not Switzerland - it is a very international city barely connected to the rest of the country (strip of land 5km wide...) Switzerland is an amazing, diverse (culturally, linguistically and visually) country. It is too bad that for a land of so many great and famous sailors we have no sea port.

Edited by Hambagahle