Fort Lauderdale Taxis

SabreSailor

Yes. There's a card reader in the cabs. You swipe your own card. The driver doesn't touch it.

Driver may not touch it but it processes through the taxi company. I wonder how secure. If Target got so badly hacked??

I have never used credit card in taxi (seems, to me, a ripe target for ID theft) but I think they will accept them.

Not so in Vancouver. They only get to see the last 4 digits of your card number. I no longer fear using a card in Vancouver.:)

Yes. There's a card reader in the cabs. You swipe your own card. The driver doesn't touch it.

Brian, do you know whether the cab driver gets to see your entire card number? In Vancouver they only get to see the last 4 digits. See you soon at dinner time on the 10th of April.

Credit card issues aside, I had a bad experience in December taking a cab from the airport to the Embassy Suites. The driver drove at warp speed and scared us to death. When we arrived at the hotel he just dumped our bags on the entry road and took off quickly, leaving me to scramble to get the four bags out of the way of incoming taxis. This was after I gave him a five dollar tip for a ten minute ride.

I mentioned it at check in and the clerk said it is a frequent complaint. The taxi drivers get mad because the Embassy Suites is so close to the airport and they want a longer drive for a larger fare. They don't like getting stuck going there.

Brian, do you know whether the cab driver gets to see your entire card number? In Vancouver they only get to see the last 4 digits. See you soon at dinner time on the 10th of April.

By law all that prints is the last few digits of your credit card number. It's about as secure as swiping it an any machine. The hacks don't generally take place is swiping machine. The servers that store all the information are much riper targets. I use my CC in taxis. Our biggest data breach was through our health insurance company, Anthem Blue Cross. The attackers made off enough information to do full blown identity theft on about 80 million people.

htttp://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-anthem-is-warning-consumers-20150306-column.html

The worst part is that Anthem never once gave us a ride to the airport.

Thanks, POA.

Now that you mention it, I recall the announcement about the Anthem Breach. Did they ever contact all impacted individuals?

Sadly, the only way you'll get a ride to the airport from Anthem Blue Cross is in an ambulance. :eek: Please do NOT choose that method of transportation. :)

Thanks, POA.

Now that you mention it, I recall the announcement about the Anthem Breach. Did they ever contact all impacted individuals?

Sadly, the only way you'll get a ride to the airport from Anthem Blue Cross is in an ambulance. :eek: Please do NOT choose that method of transportation. :)

We did receive information from Anthem, now sure how it will impact us but time will tell. I use a separate card when I swipe with a very low limit. Scary world out there..

We did receive information from Anthem, now sure how it will impact us but time will tell. I use a separate card when I swipe with a very low limit. Scary world out there..

Good idea to use low limit card. I keep one I use for Amazon/Internet shopping. :)

Credit card issues aside, I had a bad experience in December taking a cab from the airport to the Embassy Suites. The driver drove at warp speed and scared us to death. When we arrived at the hotel he just dumped our bags on the entry road and took off quickly, leaving me to scramble to get the four bags out of the way of incoming taxis. This was after I gave him a five dollar tip for a ten minute ride.

I mentioned it at check in and the clerk said it is a frequent complaint. The taxi drivers get mad because the Embassy Suites is so close to the airport and they want a longer drive for a larger fare. They don't like getting stuck going there.

I will be prepared and hope for the best and ask that I and my 2 suit cases and carry on get dropped off at front door so bell hop can take over. I will become very unladylike if he tries to do to me what happened to you. The taxi drivers don't really like coming to Richmond either from Canada Place in downtown Vancouver because they are not allowed to pick up a fare in Richmond and go to Vancouver.

Well at least he turned the meter on. Mine didn't, and proceeded to take me down side streets. I thought to myself, this is how I'm going to die. I wouldn't trust any of the cab drivers in Fort Lauderdale with my credit card number. Too bad if they don't like a short trip. It's better then no trip. They whine about that in Calgary too.

I will be prepared and hope for the best and ask that I and my 2 suit cases and carry on get dropped off at front door so bell hop can take over. I will become very unladylike if he tries to do to me what happened to you. The taxi drivers don't really like coming to Richmond either from Canada Place in downtown Vancouver because they are not allowed to pick up a fare in Richmond and go to Vancouver.

Good luck with your cab ride.

Well at least he turned the meter on. Mine didn't, and proceeded to take me down side streets. I thought to myself, this is how I'm going to die. I wouldn't trust any of the cab drivers in Fort Lauderdale with my credit card number. Too bad if they don't like a short trip. It's better then no trip. They whine about that in Calgary too.

This time I am going to ask him to put the bags next to the hotel front door and withhold the payment and tip until he does.

I agree about the credit cards. It's cash for us.

Edited by sapper1

If I did not have enough cash on me, I'd have no problem using a credit card. There are protections in place at your own financial institution, and keeping an eye on your charges is simple these days. You cannot go through life worrying about everything as some people here seem to.

If I did not have enough cash on me, I'd have no problem using a credit card. There are protections in place at your own financial institution, and keeping an eye on your charges is simple these days. You cannot go through life worrying about everything as some people here seem to.

Yes, of course there are. I don't need the hassle of getting a new credit card. I have had to in the past. It's all what you feel comfortable with. I don't think anyone here suggested that's what everyone should do. Do what is comfortable. On that same vein, many places used to ask for ID with cc. I hated that practice and said on here that I did. Several posters ripped me a new one. I didn't appreciate that so I don't make that choice for others should do. I don't see what's wrong with expressing contrary opinions.

Yes, of course there are. I don't need the hassle of getting a new credit card. I have had to in the past. It's all what you feel comfortable with. I don't think anyone here suggested that's what everyone should do. Do what is comfortable. On that same vein, many places used to ask for ID with cc. I hated that practice and said on here that I did. Several posters ripped me a new one. I didn't appreciate that so I don't make that choice for others should do. I don't see what's wrong with expressing contrary opinions.

So far as I know, we all still have the right to decide for ourselves what to worry about and what to let slide. Until we've walked in someone else's shoes, no one knows the history of why each of us makes our personal choices. Besides,,,,,, why would anyone else care enough to bother commenting? :confused: Who cares?

• 3 weeks later...

From the OP - just to clarify what really happens/happened:

1) The cab we got from the hotel to the port did NOT accept credit cards. So not all Fort Lauderdale cabs do. BTW, he gave us a rather fast ride - I saw 84 mph on his speedometer at one point and his seat belts did not work!

2) The cab driver from the port complained because we were "only" going to a rental car facility - guess he wanted a ride to the airport where he could make more money. And he insisted that there is a $20 minimum on credit cards.

So caveat emptor!

Only once many years ago did we have a problem with a taxi driver taking us to the Embassy Suites at the end of a cruise.

Haven't had a problem since then. The cab drivers even help move the luggage to the doors.