Staying noro-free onboard

Kinkacruiser

Having also seen way too many passengers lick their fingers and then return to serving themselves in the buffet line, I carry pocket size disinfectant wipes to wrap around the serving utensils. I used to grab a paper napkin, but those are seldom to be found.

Having also seen way too many passengers lick their fingers and then return to serving themselves in the buffet line, I carry pocket size disinfectant wipes to wrap around the serving utensils. I used to grab a paper napkin, but those are seldom to be found.

A poster on another thread has begun using disposable gloves for the buffet line. They are only 5 cents each when purchased in bulk at Costco, so I may begin doing this also.

A poster on another thread has begun using disposable gloves for the buffet line. They are only 5 cents each when purchased in bulk at Costco, so I may begin doing this also.

Can you imagine how absurd you will look. Unless I had an impaired immune system, I would take my chances before wearing disposable gloves around the ship. What next - biohazard suits - http://www.edarley.com/tychemr-tk-encapsulated-suit/. A better picture - http://www.edarley.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/19/image/3034/

NORO is one of the most common intestinal illnesses in the US and is everywhere. The only reason we do not see it is that crowds come together and then separate. You can get NORO at a sports event. You can get NORO at a cultural event. You can get NORO anywhere. However, only on cruise ships do we find people making fools of themselves trying to avoid the disease.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Can you imagine how absurd you will look. Unless I had an impaired immune system, I would take my chances before wearing disposable gloves around the ship. What next - biohazard suits - http://www.edarley.com/tychemr-tk-encapsulated-suit/. A better picture - http://www.edarley.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/19/image/3034/...

I wasn't thinking in terms of wearing them around the ship, just while in the buffet line. The biohazard suits are what I'm told they wear to clean your cabin after you are quarantined with Noro :).

Wash, wash, wash! Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize! Don't just use hand sanitizer when you enter the dining room; use it after handling the coughed/sneezed on germy menus, too. Don't just sanitize before touching the tongs in the buffet; sanitize after, too. Like BruceMuzz said, the hand sanitizer bottle is one of the germiest things you will carry, so put it away before scrubbing your hands; otherwise you've just re-infected yourself with the germs. Try to avoid using the public bathrooms. If you have to use a public bathroom, use a paper towel to open and lock the stall door, to activate the soap and sink if not auto, and to open the door. Take Airborne starting a week before your cruise to boost your immune system, and take it during the cruise, too. Sanitize your stateroom right away with Lysol spray and Clorox wipes. Last but not least, don't touch your face. Healthy cruising to us all!!

Edited by cruisequeen4ever

The formula of Purell used on the ship is arguably more effective against viruses than the variety you can buy (in the US, anyway).

There is some testing to show this and I've checked that the Purell on Cunard (at least) is the "good" kind.

Edited by Underwatr