Norwegian Rip Off

Rainman1234

The original post here is more of a "rip-off" than the issue in question.

This was a mis communication or mis-understanding of the booking offer. From what I can see, the poster never actually booked this, but thought the TA was booking it. Once the TA completed things, they figured out what was offered to the passenger is not what what NCL was selling.

Oops.

Simple stuff.

Oops.

No rip off. If you do not want this cruise, then do not go.

But to post here you were "ripped off" by NCL is wrong.

Edited by garycarla

I agree with what others have said. The problem here is incorrect information you received from your ta and not NCL's fault. You can verify this yourself by going to the NCL website and doing a mock booking for your cruise. When you do this, you will see that the UBP is not included as one of the freestyle choice promotions. I understand your frustration. It stinks to be told something is included and then be told it's not only days later. However, this is a problem that your ta needs to address for you.

Even without the UBP this is a pretty sweet deal. I hope you are able to put this issue to rest and enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

How the heck is refusing to take your money a Rip-off ???

You are out Nothing if you did not spend it !!

:confused: If the OP booked a May 2 sailing two or three days ago, they would have had to pay in full right away, so based on what they have told us, NCL has taken their money.

Actually, the OP never said it was "reclassified", but that it was classified. It falls under the category of Pacific Coastal anyway, so where's the issue? It's all a matter of semantics and doesn't take any responsibility away from the TA.

To the OP, sorry if you feel you were ripped off, but in this case, it does seem clear that the problem exists between you and your TA, NOT with NCL. All companies use ubiquitous selling techniques sometimes (think big red 'Yes' button compared to a small, gray 'No Thanks'), but inevitably it's up to the consumer to be aware.

Is it fair? No, but it's a fact of life and not specific to any one company.

No it's not semantics, it actual wording in an advertisement and/ or an offer to make a contract. However,

For all Pride of America, Transatlantics, Repos, and Panama Canals air credit will replace the ultimate beverage package.
is pretty clear cut wording of the contract being agreed to.

This may seem lame but its clearly not a rip off by NCL. Need more evidence to know if the TA was the problem or not.

I understand the OP frustration, and sometimes out of frustration we express strong feelings. If I felt Ripped off I would probably say that, and then realize later that it was a combination of TA confusion, wording of terms and lack of knowledge of the cruise line. If the OP got air travel credit, take the $ you would have spent on airfare and buy the UBP. Problem solved!

OP, I hope you will give NCL a chance. We have found them to always try hard to keep our business when we've been frustrated a time or two.

Debbie

Well my agent who also missed this and I should probably have been more vigilant in searching all of possibilities and Norweigan should be a lot clearer if they are excluding the offers on some cruises. That is not information (in my opinion) that you should have to search the entire web site for when you book. It was a lesson for me and maybe the post will assist some one else in the future when they book with this company.

Sorry for your disappointment and am sure this info will be of assitance to others. It certainly made me more aware of making sure I check vigilantly for exclusions and terms.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. The cruise was advertised as a "Coastal Cruise" not. Repositioning cruise and the word repositioning was not used anywhere in the advertising. When it wAs booked it showed that Haven villas were eligible for all of the special offered IE room credit, 2nd 3rd guest free, free dining for two, room credit, free drinks for two, it wasn't until two days later we were notified that this was being classified as a repositioning cruise and the drink pCkage was being disallowed.

Had it been written or showed up on the exclusions that would have been different. As it was advised it was misleading. The cruise is for 5 days.

Cruises are never advertised as repo cruises, doen't make any difference what line you cruise. We have done several, the latest was the Dawn from Tampa to Boston last spring and just before that we did Princess from Canada to Ft Lauderdale. I haven't read all the responses so I will ask a question someone has already asked,but haven't seen your answer: did you book directly,on line or how? I will add 2 days later they did not decide to reclassify the cruise.I am sorry you are disappointed, I would be as well. But this isn't the fault of NCL. This is why sometimes it pays to read all the small print or better, choose to book with someone who is experienced.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Well my agent who also missed this and I should probably have been more vigilant in searching all of possibilities and Norweigan should be a lot clearer if they are excluding the offers on some cruises. That is not information (in my opinion) that you should have to search the entire web site for when you book. It was a lesson for me and maybe the post will assist some one else in the future when they book with this company.

Now, I see you did have an agent: your agent certainly should have known the criteria for the promo. I can assure you mine would know or check to make sure before booking the cruise for me.

Edited by newmexicoNita

What use is an agent that doesn't understand the details of the travels they offer? That is the reason you use an agent.

Your agent, from what you have posted, is the culpable party in this situation. When using a TA, they should be the expert. Their role is to advise, inform, and assist.

However, it is incredibly dramatic on your part to say you were "ripped off" over a beverage package.

If a ship leaves from one port and ends up in another, isn't it logical it's repositioning?:confused: Does it have to be in writing?

Now I would have defined a repositioning cruise as moving the ship from one defined area to another for a specific part of the season/year (eg Europe to Bahamas).

I never would have even thought departing Venice arriving in Rome as repositioning. After all your still in the Med. I would see that definition as just offering passengers different variety of ports during the season.

Actually, the OP never said it was "reclassified", but that it was classified. It falls under the category of Pacific Coastal anyway, so where's the issue? It's all a matter of semantics and doesn't take any responsibility away from the TA.

To the OP, sorry if you feel you were ripped off, but in this case, it does seem clear that the problem exists between you and your TA, NOT with NCL. All companies use ubiquitous selling techniques sometimes (think big red 'Yes' button compared to a small, gray 'No Thanks'), but inevitably it's up to the consumer to be aware.

Is it fair? No, but it's a fact of life and not specific to any one company.

that depends on how you interpret it: He did say, 2 days later NCL decided to classify it as a repo. To me, that means he is saying they reclassified it. Someone also mentioned even a TA couldn't be expected to know it was a repo: I totally disagree with this. I good TA knows exactly which itineraries are repos.They may not know the policy on all promos (actually they should) but they do know a repo when they see one.

I love it when someone does not take the time to read the terms and conditions of an offer and then when they do they say that the cruise line is 'ripping them off' or 'hides everything in the fine print'. Hey OP, no one ripped you off.

that depends on how you interpret it: He did say, 2 days later NCL decided to classify it as a repo. To me, that means he is saying they reclassified it. ....

Maybe, maybe not.

Could this have happened:

OP : Dear TA - please book this cruise and have the beverage package included.

TA : Sure, I will get that done for you. Give me your credit card.

TA then goes to book it, does not get the beverage confirmation, calls NCL and they point out the reason why. Might take a day or more, especially if TA tries to escalate or get clarification.

TA calls OP : Hey, it turns out NCL has changed the rules and beverage package does not go with this cruise. Sorry Charlie.

At that point, even if past final payment, the OP should either say "OKAY", or tell them no deal since they (TA and/or NCL) can not deliver what was agreed to.

If a ship leaves from one port and ends up in another, isn't it logical it's repositioning?:confused: Does it have to be in writing?

Not always

In Europe they alternate on the spirit

BCN->Venice

Venice->BCN

The sun does similar in Alaska Vancouver=>anchorage->Vancouver

Not always

In Europe they alternate on the spirit

BCN->Venice

Venice->BCN

The sun does similar in Alaska Vancouver=>anchorage->Vancouver

A repositioning cruise is nothing more than a cruise in which the embarkation port and the disembarkation port are different.

Some ships reposition from one home port to another at the change in season. After the end of the season, the reposition back to the original home port, or maybe even to another completely new homeport.

However, there is nothing that says that a ship has to stay in the new port for any given time...or at all.

Later this year, the Escape will sail from Hamburg to Southampton. This is a repositioning cruise. The Escape will do a CTN from Southampton, followed by a Southampton-Miami Transatlantic. This will also be a repositioning cruise.

There is nothing to say that a ship can't do one reposition after another after another....

I agree with what others have said. The problem here is incorrect information you received from your ta and not NCL's fault. You can verify this yourself by going to the NCL website and doing a mock booking for your cruise. When you do this, you will see that the UBP is not included as one of the freestyle choice promotions. I understand your frustration. It stinks to be told something is included and then be told it's not only days later. However, this is a problem that your ta needs to address for you.

Even without the UBP this is a pretty sweet deal. I hope you are able to put this issue to rest and enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

We do our own bookings and we are nowhere near as expert as a TA is supposed to be, trained and certified to be, et al. But when we booked our last New Orleans to Boston Caribbean Adventure cruise it didn't say it was a repositioning cruise, (one season to another, one locale to another far distant one). But when we attempted to apply the promos offered, the choices were airfare, OBC or UDP. UBP as never even on the table.

In Suites, the whole enchilada looks to include UBP, but if this choice does not load on a 'mock booking' then you can be fairly certain there is a reason for that. And when you see and asterisk* that leads to fine print, it is spelled out.

A TA who does not know these basics, and promises the whole package and then turns around and tells you NCL 'reclassified' the cruise is not only passing the buck :rolleyes: but remiss for not accepting responsibility for their own error of assumption. IMHO.

It sounds like the NCL rep misspoke. The fine print say's no California coastal cruises, and not repositioning.

Are you starting at one port and ending in another port? Are you re-positioning? If it doesn't explicitly say repositioning in their fine print, you may want to push it a little.

Someone also mentioned even a TA couldn't be expected to know it was a repo: I totally disagree with this. I good TA knows exactly which itineraries are repos.They may not know the policy on all promos (actually they should) but they do know a repo when they see one.
That was me :p but that is not what I said. I said I would not "expect a TA to know automatically which ones would be considered repos and excluded from the UBP". Because there are many examples of reposition cruises (for example, in Europe), that are identified as reposition cruises by NCL, but they in fact allow the CHOB promo code (Free Ultimate Beverage Package) if you book an OV or higher. Since the terms and conditions of the promo say that "repos" are not eligible for the UBP, I would expect a responsible TA to say "hold on a second, there might be an issue here, let me find out for sure if the promotional beverage package is available on that cruise and I'll get right back to you".

Perhaps I wasn't clear. The cruise was advertised as a "Coastal Cruise" not. Repositioning cruise and the word repositioning was not used anywhere in the advertising. When it wAs booked it showed that Haven villas were eligible for all of the special offered IE room credit, 2nd 3rd guest free, free dining for two, room credit, free drinks for two, it wasn't until two days later we were notified that this was being classified as a repositioning cruise and the drink pCkage was being disallowed.

Had it been written or showed up on the exclusions that would have been different. As it was advised it was misleading. The cruise is for 5 days.

It looks like you are very unclear about what you booked. A quick look at the web site shows that you will receive:

3rd & 4th guests free (not 2nd & 3rd)

On board credit of $300 (you listed room credit twice)

Ultimate dining pkg for each person in your cabin

Air credit of of $200 (or $500 if you're booked in the garden villa)

Free gratuities for the first 2 people in your cabin

Even without the UBP, that it is a pretty impressive list of amenities for a 5 day cruise.

The cruise is listed on the NCL site as a 5 Day Pacific Coastal cruise. On NCL's web page advertising the Free Style Choice promotion, for the UBP, it clearly states "Not available on Hawaii, Panama Canal, Transatlantic or Pacific Coastal cruises". I don't see how this could be any clearer. It's not misleading at all.

If your TA is the one who told you that you would be getting the UBP, he or she is the one who mislead you, not NCL. They should have known this while they were in the process of booking for you. They could have stopped the booking and notified you then, giving you the option of moving to another cruise, if UBP was a deal breaker for you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I understand the OP frustration, and sometimes out of frustration we express strong feelings. If I felt Ripped off I would probably say that, and then realize later that it was a combination of TA confusion, wording of terms and lack of knowledge of the cruise line. If the OP got air travel credit, take the $ you would have spent on airfare and buy the UBP. Problem solved!

OP, I hope you will give NCL a chance. We have found them to always try hard to keep our business when we've been frustrated a time or two.

Debbie

I also got sucked into this and I'm pretty aware of what's going on. When I read the latitudes email for March it offered 4 different cruises and 4 freestyle choice options. We wanted the 11 day Panama Canal on the pearl. It let you go all the way to the end then said we had to take one of the other options because UBP was not offered on the Panama Canal.

If this true and yes I did look at the terms and conditions.....then why advertise it that way. The email is very misleading and close to false advertising. What I don't get is why I can take a 10 day Caribbean cruise with UBP and not have on a 10 or 11 day PC cruise.

I actually though it was a promotion they were offering just for latitudes for PC.