Balcony Pros and Cons

mothermary

We have had a balcony on five of our eight cruises. The other three were all ocean view. The balcony is okay, not sure it is worth the premium. We usually go out there when we first get in the room. I sometimes hang out on the balcony first thing in the morning before my wife wakes up. She tends to sleep in longer than I do. We don't really have an issue with the lights or slamming doors. The lights don't bother us as we have a neighbor that has an outside light that shines outside the bedroom window as well as having led candles in our bedroom. So we are used to light and sound at night.

We never eat out on the balcony and don't drink coffee, so we mainly used the balcony for the view and fresh air.

Our next three cruises, all this year, are all going to be interior. Though two of them are porthole. So we will have a little natural light, though no view. I guess we will find out if we really miss the balcony and/or view or not. I usually go up on deck when sailing away from ports. It is nice to sometimes go out there when pulling in to ports. I might miss that as I am usually on the balcony in the early morning when pulling in to port. Guess I will have to go up on deck. Of course two of our cruises this year, both Fantasy Class, don't even have balcony staterooms. For the Magic, we have booked a Spa Interior.

One con I found to balconies is that they are rather small. Only enough room for two small chairs and a table. Not much room otherwise. No way to lounge out there. Though the chairs on the Dream Spa Balcony were a little better.

Some people also like to "sunbathe" if you get the drift.

On embarkation day I was sitting on the bed and DH caught the creepy guy in the next cabin peeping around the divider.

And there's the reason not to "sunbathe" on your balcony, unless arkjeweler meant wearing your bathing suit and I misunderstood. :p

Edited by Acosmo

PROS-

Fresh air, being able to have a private place to relax when the pool decks are busy, a place to sit and have a drink at night before bed and listen to the ocean, being able to watch us pull in or out of port, being able to check the weather without going up on deck,

CONS-

Your quiet relaxing balcony can be ruined by a neighbor and thats out of your control. Thankfully we have had good luck so far with neighbors.

I agree! I would add slipping out there in your bath robe in the morning with room service coffee. Watching the activity of docking the ship, private clothes line: dries faster than the shower; I used a bungee slipped through the items as a clothes line. We also adjusted the drapes at night for just right amount of ambient light. We opened our deck to our neighbor/friends deck and had private together space. Priceless!

Some people think rules are for everyone except them (smoking wise).

That applies to most every rule on the ship (smugglers, chogs, line breakers, etc.....)

Pro - Balcony Club! :D

Con - Cabins with the light left on at night even though no one is out there (kills star gazing). :(

Edited by Out to sea!

That applies to most every rule on the ship (smugglers, chogs, line breakers, etc.....)

Pro - Balcony Club! :D

Con - Cabins with the light left on at night even though no one is out there (kills star gazing). :(

Agree on leaving the lights on. Luckily, we hVe only experienced that a couple of times.

I have never had a balcony room but fantasize about keeping the door open at night via bungee cord and falling asleep to the sound of the ocean. Needless to say I am watching the prices for my cruise in May.

The problem with that fantasy is twofold. One, it is a violation of the rules (not allowed to keep balcony door open except for going in and out of the balcony) and two, it creates cooling problems for your neighbors.

Edited by Out to sea!

I have never had a balcony room but fantasize about keeping the door open at night via bungee cord and falling asleep to the sound of the ocean. Needless to say I am watching the prices for my cruise in May.

As was said you can't keep the door open. Just bring along an air mattress or hammock and sleep out on the balcony.:p But please keep the snoring to a minimum.:o

Edited by DirtyDawg

Pros:

- Having your own private outdoor space is wonderful; sitting out there with a drink watching the waves go by is sublime.

- Cheapest way to get a separate space; this is handy when you're sharing a cabin with kids and someone wants a quiet spot, or Dad wants to step out while the girls dress.

- Fresh air anytime

- Natural light (okay, a porthole provides this, but on a smaller scale)

- Best place for sail-away or to watch the ship coming into port

- Good place to leave wet bathing suits, kids' stinky shoes, a stroller, blow-up floats that the kids are taking ashore

Cons:

- Usually (though not always) more expensive

Edited by MrsPete

The price out weights the pro's for us.

On the Conquest type ships I can get a 300+ sq ft stateroom with 2 windows for 30-40% less than the cheapest balcony.

For us it's a no-brainier.

That's why they have choices because people have different needs and the value we put on them.

We like the extra room more.

Could you share which ship and cabin # as I agree the $$ for the balcony and room size difference isn't worth it.

Our favorite time on a cruise is happy hour on the balcony. I'm not anti-social but I could sit out there all day and just watch the world go by. I actually prefer to do this when we are at sea and not in port. I love to watch for things like whales, fish, birds, other ships, etc.

The only con I can think of is when the sun is just right and you are blinded while sitting out there. Just takes some chair adjustments but it can be annoying.