Some MDR questions

Despegue

I am a Dive-in fan. I don't recall the food being served on metal trays on the Noordam; I recall on plates. I like the buzzer concept to notify one when your food is ready. Since it operates anywhere on Lido Deck, I place my order, go into the Lido restaurant and obtain what else I want to eat, and find a table. Once the food at Dive-in is ready, I can obtain it, return to my table, and I am ready to eat.

Maybe the MDR is closed on port days on the shorter cruises only. As noted, Alaska last year it was closed on each port day, not what we are used to.

I found the Dive In OK, but we hated the pager, the line-up, the whole miasma: too many pax, too little space.

The fries are also in the Lido and they are worth it!

Meet you in the MDR 3 meals a day!

I agree, I find the dive in ok. I just don't understand the raves about it. I do like the fries as I'm a carb person. I find eating the burger and fries way to much food and I'm hardly a small eater:D. 3 cheers for the MDR.

I am a Dive-in fan. I don't recall the food being served on metal trays on the Noordam; I recall on plates. I like the buzzer concept to notify one when your food is ready. Since it operates anywhere on Lido Deck, I place my order, go into the Lido restaurant and obtain what else I want to eat, and find a table. Once the food at Dive-in is ready, I can obtain it, return to my table, and I am ready to eat.

The had metal trays on the NA so maybe it differs by ship.

Metal trays on Westerdam as well.

Enjoyed the food, but the place seems to be becoming a victim of its own success - usually very crowded with long wait times, and despite the efforts of the stewards and staff, somewhat disorganized.

The chicken sandwich at the Dive-in is quite good.

Hate to say this but I actually like lunch in the Lido as I can sample a bit of this and that, have a half sandwich or an entrée from the main station, some pickled beets and cucumbers from the salad bar, and then there is the Asian station - and not end up with a huge meal. To each his own.

The MDR was closed for lunch most of the days we were on the Eurodam last week (4 port days on a 7 day cruise)

DH found he enjoyed a salad from the Lido salad bar topped with a piece of fish from the entrée bar. He then used squeezed fresh lemon on it as dressing and had a low fat/low carb lunch. As for me - I had salad twice with pizza from Slice and Dive-In twice. The portabello mushroom "burger" and Nathan's hot dogs were very tasty and totally different from what we eat at home for lunch.:)

We carried our lunches out to the Sea View pool deck to relax as we ate.:)

Summersigh, we were on your Eurodam cruise and loved the Dive In. Admittedly, that is easy, because I like all kinds of burgers/hot dogs. Yes, I have had better ones in real life. But this one had the extra seasoning that only a wide open ocean can offer. ;) The mushroom one was good and I always like Nathan's. Fries were a bonus.

Personally, I usually find it a chore to change to go to the MDR at lunch. I did so for the Mariner's lunch where we only had an appetizer, as we had a late breakfast and then again for the Indonesian tea. Mostly, I don't want to interrupt my day with putting on pants for lunch. Shorts/cover-up and off to the Lido with the Philistines for me. That's where I can find sushi and other favorites to mix and match.

I have never found it a problem to change sides for a main dish or ask for more than one appetizer, etc. in the MDR. The folks there are very accommodating. Also, I prefer the pre-chosen cheese plates (no menu of cheese) offered this cruise. They were curated well.

Summersigh, we were on your Eurodam cruise and loved the Dive In.

Wasn't that a wonderful week HealthyTouch?? Being a southerner, and used to dealing out the appropriate hospitality :D I was so thrilled that the weather was as close to being perfect as I've ever experienced on a cruise. Those folks from the cold, snowy north deserved that and more!!

Paired up with excellent service and good food ... it doesn't get much better than that :D

Summersigh, we were on your Eurodam cruise and loved the Dive In. Admittedly, that is easy, because I like all kinds of burgers/hot dogs. Yes, I have had better ones in real life. But this one had the extra seasoning that only a wide open ocean can offer. ;) The mushroom one was good and I always like Nathan's. Fries were a bonus.

Personally, I usually find it a chore to change to go to the MDR at lunch. I did so for the Mariner's lunch where we only had an appetizer, as we had a late breakfast and then again for the Indonesian tea. Mostly, I don't want to interrupt my day with putting on pants for lunch. Shorts/cover-up and off to the Lido with the Philistines for me. That's where I can find sushi and other favorites to mix and match.

I have never found it a problem to change sides for a main dish or ask for more than one appetizer, etc. in the MDR. The folks there are very accommodating. Also, I prefer the pre-chosen cheese plates (no menu of cheese) offered this cruise. They were curated well.

Are you really not allowed in the MDR at lunchtime or teatime in shorts?

This is our first HAL cruise, but we have cruised with half a dozen other lines and this has never been an issue before!

This is our first HAL cruise, but we have cruised with half a dozen other lines and this has never been an issue before!

You can wear shorts in the MDR for regular lunch. The poster was talking about a special event that asks for 'smart casual', it is not the normal situation.

You can wear shorts in the MDR for regular lunch. The poster was talking about a special event that asks for 'smart casual', it is not the normal situation.

That's good, thanks. It didn't read like she was just talking about the special lunch, sounded like she meant in general.

We always wore shorts to the MDR for lunch except for the Mariner's Brunch which is smart casual.

I'd imagine that what the poster meant was that to go to the MDR if you've been at the pool or some other outdoor activity it would require showering and grooming etc to lunch in the MDR.... too much trouble for food :D

Not only are shorts and tee shirts allowed in the MDR for lunch (except the Mariner Brunch) they are also allowed in the PG for lunch.

I apologize for the confusion!

I meant for the special Mariner's lunch with the captain's toast and the handing out of tiles. I changed for that. We went for the tiles ;)

Are you saying they hand out ceramic tiles for returning guests? I like that idea, what a nice memento of a cruise. At what level do they do that for guests, would we get one on a second or third HAL cruise? Our first with HAL is in May, and we've been telling each other we can't wait for this Dam cruise lol But I guess that is a running joke with HAL ships.

Lorie

Are you saying they hand out ceramic tiles for returning guests? I like that idea, what a nice memento of a cruise. At what level do they do that for guests, would we get one on a second or third HAL cruise? Our first with HAL is in May, and we've been telling each other we can't wait for this Dam cruise lol But I guess that is a running joke with HAL ships.

Lorie

All Mariners get a tile on every cruise.

I have so many, I have most in a bag under the sofa!

They are nice, though!

Yes, you can order smaller dishes as an appetizer, especially the pasta. You can also go the other way and order appetizers as an entrée and add a veggie.

My experience has been that it is not always possible to order appetizer portions of main dish pasta dishes. I have asked on several cruises and it has been hit or miss.

One Dining Room Steward said it depends on how the pasta is being prepared, which is completely understandable. If the dish is baked in individual servings, smaller servings are impossible. A different Dining Room Steward mentioned sometimes it has to do with the timing in the kitchen, though the "anytime dining" has helped with that.

I will also shore my experience ordering appetizers/vegetables as a meal rather than a main dish. I did this a couple of nights because nothing on the menu was sounding good to me. And each time I was questioned multiple times by my stewards, and in fact the Dining Room Manager, to make sure that I was not missing any part of my meal or waiting on something. It is possible to do it, but it does not come without some concern on the part of the staff.

I apologize for the confusion!

I meant for the special Mariner's lunch with the captain's toast and the handing out of tiles. I changed for that. We went for the tiles ;)

Hehehehee ... we went for the tiles too.

Were you at the 11:00 or the 1:00 Mariner's lunch? We were invited to the 11:00 and wouldn't have even known there was another seating except that one set of our dinner tablemates were invited to the 1pm. I have no clue what the difference was although I didn't hear any microphone recognition for those with high numbers of sailing days at ours - didn't think to ask the tablemates if that happened at theirs.

All Mariners get a tile on every cruise.

I have so many, I have most in a bag under the sofa!

They are nice, though!

I bought a big wooden tray at a craft store and am lining the bottom of the tray with the tiles. It's really looking great. One more HAL cruise and I'll be done.:D

We arrived late (!) for the 11 AM one...we thought it was 11:45 and we both rushed to the room, me after I walked all around the 11th deck, the 9th floor, the spa, etc. and changed quickly to arrive in time (10 minutes late). We ordered only the appetizer because we had that late breakfast. The waiter checked with us again and tried to bring us a dessert anyway, which we politely declined. It did not seem an issue.

Side note: We enjoyed the conversation with our tablemates so much. They were siblings from Newton, Iowa, home of the Maytag cheese I adore. It was offered on the ship, too and I loved hearing the stories of their working there when they were teens. I have really enjoyed meeting people on the ship and I am NOT a people-person in general. Maybe vacation lets me cut loose a little.

Edited by HealthyTouch101

I wish this question had come up earlier in my thirteen cruise history with Holland America. (I may have wasted many of almost a thousand meals.)

Many times there have been wonderful appetizers which I'd have dearly loved to substitute in quantity for an entree. On any particular occasion, I've not hesitated to ask for whatever I wanted and almost always gotten it, but to ask almost every day for four or five of an appetizer, which are often tiny, instead of an entree would have seemed to me to be an unjustified imposition on a busy steward. Would combining them on one plate be an obstacle for him?

Of course, this is a question for a Dining Room Manager or Assistant Dining Room Manager with whom one has developed a familiar enough relationship to expect him to treat the question seriously instead of just saying, "Whatever you want, sir." Asking the stewards would just "put them on the spot."

I really don't want to be a "problem passenger" to the stewards I have come to admire so much, but, on the other hand, I don't want to pass up culinary delights that are readily available.

Do any of you have any inside insight that you can share with us ordinary passengers?

I wish this question had come up earlier in my thirteen cruise history with Holland America. (I may have wasted many of almost a thousand meals.)

Many times there have been wonderful appetizers which I'd have dearly loved to substitute in quantity for an entree. On any particular occasion, I've not hesitated to ask for whatever I wanted and almost always gotten it, but to ask almost every day for four or five of an appetizer, which are often tiny, instead of an entree would have seemed to me to be an unjustified imposition on a busy steward. Would combining them on one plate be an obstacle for him?

Of course, this is a question for a Dining Room Manager or Assistant Dining Room Manager with whom one has developed a familiar enough relationship to expect him to treat the question seriously instead of just saying, "Whatever you want, sir." Asking the stewards would just "put them on the spot."

I really don't want to be a "problem passenger" to the stewards I have come to admire so much, but, on the other hand, I don't want to pass up culinary delights that are readily available.

Do any of you have any inside insight that you can share with us ordinary passengers?

On a B2B on the Westerdam in Alaska last July, I ordered the crab legs appetizer and received two, finger-sized, legs. At the end of the meal, I told my waiter that I should have ordered more of that delicious appetizer.

The second week, with the same menu, I ordered three crab legs appetizer servings on the same plate. When the plate arrived, it was heaped with crab legs. Questioning the size of three orders, I observed my waiter hold up five fingers and flash a big smile.