I'm Jumping Ship! Help!

goldgirl2

[quote name='Stateroom_Sailor']I don't want to put words in the OP's mouth, but there has been major uproar on the RCL forum, loyalists infighting, and people bailing to various other cruise lines just this week. These are the major complaints:

1. A jump in 2016 fares, seen by some as unreasonable
2. An up to 40% jump in price for alcoholic beverages
3 A cut in waitstaff (waiters serving more tables).[/quote]

[quote name='wallie5446']All the things that Celebrity did last year.[/quote]

Yep -- that's the "short list" of Michael Bayley's more popular changes to the X brand. :mad:
Good luck, RC folks (you're gonna need it)! :eek:

[quote name='wwcruisers']Yep -- that's the "short list" of Michael Bayley's more popular changes to the X brand. :mad:
Good luck, RC folks (you're gonna need it)! :eek:[/QUOTE]

This gets me wondering, I wonder if RCI may use X as its experimental business unit before rolling things out to RCL...

[quote name='cle-guy']This gets me wondering, I wonder if RCI may use X as its experimental business unit before rolling things out to RCL...[/QUOTE]

Interesting question.

Somewhat different demographic in terms of age/traveling with kids/income. Also, Celebrity cruise lengths also tend to be longer.

Having said the above, I think they go both ways and take 'best' practices of all their lines. I hope they allow each line to test/try out new ideas/product-service offerings and then expand ones that work across brands.

On our Brilliance of the Seas cruise this past January, we are Diamond level, we attended the Diamond Club and also took advantage of the option to not attend Diamond Club evening event and get complementary drinks directly at the Schooner bar during trivia on a couple of evenings.

I loved that option and hope Celebrity would adopt that feature which I consider a GREAT benefit for Captains Club Elite members.

[quote name='shipshape sam']Interesting question.

Somewhat different demographic in terms of age/traveling with kids/income. Also, Celebrity cruise lengths also tend to be longer.

Having said the above, I think they go both ways and take 'best' practices of all their lines. I hope they allow each line to test/try out new ideas/product-service offerings and then expand ones that work across brands.

On our Brilliance of the Seas cruise this past January, we are Diamond level, we attended the Diamond Club and also took advantage of the option to not attend Diamond Club evening event and get complementary drinks directly at the Schooner bar during trivia on a couple of evenings.

I loved that option and hope Celebrity would adopt that feature which I consider a GREAT benefit for Captains Club Elite members.[/QUOTE]

Could say the same thing the opposite way. I've followed both lines since the merger and can't say either one has followed the other. There may be coincidences but they really have operated as seperate lines.

Actually, thinking back to the merger, any change which was perceived in any way as negative was immediately blamed on Royal Caribbean whether justifed or not. This went on for probably 10 years. Edited by dkjretired

[quote name='dkjretired']Could say the same thing the opposite way. I've followed both lines since the merger and can't say either one has followed the other. There may be coincidences but they really have operated as seperate lines.

Actually, thinking back to the merger, any change which was perceived in any way as negative was immediately blamed on Royal Caribbean whether justifed or not. This went on for probably 10 years.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but they (royal and celebrity) trade/promote whatever you want to call it, upper level executives and they bring their past with them.

I would think that a good idea would be considered. Richard Fain would want the best for both as he is judged on the combination. Not to say that a good idea that is not of the Celebrity cruise line's wheel house should be forced on them. I don't expect to see big screens on the pool deck as an example but they are very popular on Royal and other main stream lines. Edited by shipshape sam

[quote name='wallie5446']You will receive the Classic level perks:

Classic Member Benefits*
(after completing your first sailing**)

• Exclusive Captain's Club Celebration event
• Access to Reunion Cruise and President's Cruise events
• One category upgrade through AquaClass® (prior to sailing, when available, restrictions apply) ***
• One Complimentary scoop of gelato from the Gelateria (not available on Celebrity Century®)
• 10% off any single Internet package (restrictions may apply)
• 10% discount on any digital or print photo package at the Photo Gallery
• Access to Captain's Club newsletter online
• Use of the Loyalty Desk service center between cruises
• Access to the onboard Loyalty Host during your cruise
• Eligibility for Captain's Club promotions when booking a future cruise onboard
• Earn Double Club Points if you travel solo in a stateroom (as of July 1, 2014)
• Receive Hertz Gold Plus Rewards membership (earn free rentals) with weekly rental discounts, free upgrades, and other special offers. Learn more.[/QUOTE]

This is incorrect. As a Platinum on Royal Caribbean you will be Select on Celebrity's Captain Club.

While we usually cruise on Celebrity, we did a cruise on the Freedom a couple of years ago. While we had a wonderful time ( we always do, we're on a cruise) , great cruise director, the ship often felt crowded to us, especially the ocean view cafe at lunch time. We could never find a place to sit especially as there was no outside seating area attached to the cafe and things like hamburgers, etc were in the cafe. On Celebrity there is an outdoor grill at the pool area which many people for lunch. We also thought the selection at the cafe for lunch is much better on Celebrity but of course that is subjective.

We also often felt that we were not on a ship as we could rarely see the ocean, except on our veranda. We don't use the bells and whistles ( or rock climbing wall, flow rider) which may be why the cost is higher. We enjoyed the shows, especially the ice show however, we did not like having to make all those reservations well before the cruise for the shows and that everyone lined so early to go to a show.

Give Celebrity a try and enjoy your cruise!

[quote name='Yorkshire-Pudding']This is incorrect. As a Platinum on Royal Caribbean you will be Select on Celebrity's Captain Club.[/QUOTE]

OPPS! You are correct!

"For instance, if you are a Crown & Anchor Platinum or Emerald member and a Captain's Club Classic member, you will be automatically be entitled to the Select level in the Captain's Club and Explorer in Le Club Voyage ." :o

[quote name='wallie5446']OPPS! You are correct!

"For instance, if you are a Crown & Anchor Platinum or Emerald member and a Captain's Club Classic member, you will be automatically be entitled to the Select level in the Captain's Club and Explorer in Le Club Voyage ." :o[/QUOTE]

That is one of the nice perks of sailing with Royal and Celebrity.

They do cap it at Diamond and Elite though. We are close to Elite Plus and real close Diamond Plus, each on their own and once attaining Diamond Plus would not get Elite Plus status on Celebrity. That is fine with me as I appreciate the nice perks of Crown & Anchor and Captains Club at the Diamond and Elite levels.

I am looking forward to the fun and memories of sailing both Royal and Celebrity to attain both Diamond Plus and Elite Plus over the coming year(s). We will never reach the next levels as we have too many land based trips we love to do.

[quote name='wallie5446']You will receive the Classic level perks:

Classic Member Benefits*
(after completing your first sailing**)

• Exclusive Captain's Club Celebration event
• Access to Reunion Cruise and President's Cruise events
• One category upgrade through AquaClass® (prior to sailing, when available, restrictions apply) ***
• One Complimentary scoop of gelato from the Gelateria (not available on Celebrity Century®)
• 10% off any single Internet package (restrictions may apply)
• 10% discount on any digital or print photo package at the Photo Gallery
• Access to Captain's Club newsletter online
• Use of the Loyalty Desk service center between cruises
• Access to the onboard Loyalty Host during your cruise
• Eligibility for Captain's Club promotions when booking a future cruise onboard
• Earn Double Club Points if you travel solo in a stateroom (as of July 1, 2014)
• Receive Hertz Gold Plus Rewards membership (earn free rentals) with weekly rental discounts, free upgrades, and other special offers. Learn more.[/QUOTE]

I am Select on X and I get Platinum on RCI. Would t the reverse be true and thr OP get the Select level?

[quote name='Champagne Cruiser']I am Select on X and I get Platinum on RCI. Would t the reverse be true and thr OP get the Select level?[/QUOTE]

The programs are reciprocal through Diamond and Elite. If, for example you are Elite Plus, and sail Royal, you will be recognize and get the benefits of Diamond level on Royal unless you have earned them specifically on Royal.

As I mention earlier, we are getting close to Elite Plus on Celebrity on our own and are very close to Diamond Plus on Royal on our own, but I am pretty happy with Diamond and Elite status.