Does the home port change the vibe of the cruise? Florida vs. Texas Cruise

IslandGrl411

Ummm, Texas public schools do not get out mid-May - college perhaps, but not K-12.

Anyway, I love cruising out of Texas. I've noticed that there is a difference in the staff on Texas cruises. They just seem to be more chatty & relaxed. That's not to say that staff on Florida cruises are not friendly, just not as many. It's kind of hard to describe the feel.

I didn't notice lots of country music on my last 2 cruises out of Galveston (thank goodness). I'm a classic rock fan myself.

I must go through life in a fog, because I didn't notice any different "vibe" between my cruises from Galveston and my cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. :o

same. We've done new orleans (CCL & RCL), Galvaston (Disney), San Juan (CCL), and Houston (NCL).

all seem the same to me

Gal, had more people from local states but that was Disney, so not really the same (Disney only has 4 ships, and that's only one 'close' and it's not full time)

Go out of FLA. Texas outdated alcohol laws really restrict what you can do the first day. And don't forget their revenue officers that try to shake you down after the cruise.

The only thing restricted is you can't buy cheers til second day out of Texas?

Yes, the post cruise shake down is rather embarrassing. :o

New Orleans is the most unique Port of Departure in respect that cruisers stay twice as long & spend nearly 3X more per day pre/post cruise then any other home port in the NA market....it really does not matter the make up (what State they come from) of the guests on any particular sailing ....there is a different "spirit" because of the reputation of New Orleans....Mobile has that same feel

Of course the 8 hour journey to the Gulf just adds to the mystic

Great question by the OP! I was beginning to wonder about Galveston sailings, because my upcoming Magic cruises have little roll call activity. I realize that sometimes the CC roll call has absolutely no correlation to a fun cruise, so now I'm hoping that's the case.

I'd rather have a dead roll call and a lively cruise, than a lively roll call and a dead cruise.

I think a lot of people are using social media site for their roll calls. I see them, but haven't joined them. I don't mind a countdown here on CC, but I don't advertise on social media that I'm gonna be out to sea for a week if there's not gonna be someone here in my house.

New Orleans is the most unique Port of Departure in respect that cruisers stay twice as long & spend nearly 3X more per day pre/post cruise then any other home port in the NA market....

I'm surprised by this. I would have thought it was San Juan.

I think it does change the feel of the cruise.

When we cruised out of Florida and California, there were people from all over the country. It didn't feel like a Florida or California cruise.

When we cruised out of Texas, the cruise was mostly southerners. We had worn Iowa shirts one day, and for the rest of the cruise people we never had spoken too were saying "Hey Iowa!" (we are actually transplanted Texans though) -it was that unusual for us to not be from Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma or Arkansas.

Southerners are just so friendly though, so we thought it was a wonderful vibe. It was also more casual though, some people might not like that.

I have sailed out of Galveston, New Orleans, and Port Canaveral. The cruises from Galveston and New Orleans seemed to have a more friendlier, fun and outgoing crowd. The cruises out of Port Canaveral seemed like an older, not as friendly, boring crowd. The sail away parties out of Galveston and New Orleans had hundreds of people out there, not the case with Port Canaveral. The crew on the Freedom told me that they liked Galveston a lot better then Fort Lauderdale because of the people.

You will get the demographics of the region on a ship. It is fairly well known (although subjective) that there are cultural differences between people in the Northeast (who fly to Florida to cruise) and folks from Texas and the bordering Southern/western states.

You actually hear folks say thing like "hi"... or, "here, let me hold that door for you".... perfect strangers smile at each other!

Any thoughts about the new York sailings

In my experiences, it is like Miami. Not a majority of locals (NYC being locals here) - mostly people coming in from out of the area. We met people from Saratoga Springs and Albany during our cruise, which is 2-3 hours away by vehicle.

Probably not as much "fly-in" cruisers as out of Florida. Mostly drivers from the tri-state area and PA, MA, NH, VT, ME.

Edited by ZanziBarred

You will get the demographics of the region on a ship. It is fairly well known (although subjective) that there are cultural differences between people in the Northeast (who fly to Florida to cruise) and folks from Texas and the bordering Southern/western states.

You actually hear folks say thing like "hi"... or, "here, let me hold that door for you".... perfect strangers smile at each other!

Very, very true. Every bit of your post is true.

Common courtesies like holding open a door, saying thank you, and saying please are very rare on cruises out of the Northeast, especially cruises out of NY/NJ where it's every person for themselves.

Very, very true. Every bit of your post is true.

Common courtesies like holding open a door, saying thank you, and saying please are very rare on cruises out of the Northeast, especially cruises out of NY/NJ where it's every person for themselves.

Yes, the northeast is a different beast. I have actually had the pleasure of being knocked over by someone rushing through the chute to get on the ship before others.

Ive cruised out of Port Canaveral, New York, and New Orleans ......

Out of New York I had a blast. The Night Club always had great music, the activities were always on point, and the people were very energetic.

Port Canaveral I had fun, it was my first cruise so I really didn't know what to expect. It was cool though I had a great time.

New Orleans It was cool. There really wasn't a party scene the ship seemed quiet. However because I love New Orleans and I love the iteneray they have for it, I am cruising out of there again in August. So far cruising out of New York has been my favorite for now.

I cannot speak to Texas but San Juan is very different from Miami, Tampa and Port Canaveral.

That's because San Juan is the best. If I could afford an additional $1,000 per cruise I would go out of San Juan every time. Probably the best regular cruise itinerary CCL offers.

Edited by ZanziBarred

That's because San Juan is the best. If I could afford an additional $1,000 per cruise I would go out of San Juan every time. Probably the best regular cruise itinerary CCL offers.

That is why I have only done it once.

Ive cruised out of Port Canaveral, New York, and New Orleans ......

Out of New York I had a blast. The Night Club always had great music, the activities were always on point, and the people were very energetic.

Port Canaveral I had fun, it was my first cruise so I really didn't know what to expect. It was cool though I had a great time.

New Orleans It was cool. There really wasn't a party scene the ship seemed quiet. However because I love New Orleans and I love the iteneray they have for it, I am cruising out of there again in August. So far cruising out of New York has been my favorite for now.

Interesting about New York. When I ask the crew what is their favorite homeport and their least favorite they say that Galveston or New Orleans is their favorite and that the northeast homeports are their least favorite because the guests are so rude to them.

Any thoughts about the new York sailings

sailing out of NY was a little different than my previous cruises (miami, baltimore and galveston)... from NY, it was mainly people from the surrounding states (NJ, NY, PA, CT, etc.) but also a fairly large contingent (at least concerning those i came across) of canadian / french canadian. i'd say demographics skewed a little older on the whole, with less kids. most people seemed to keep to themselves / their group a bit more than some other ports i've experienced (especially galveston!).

that's not to say, however, that it was all sedate... there was a considerable group of younger adults (20s-30s) which i came across and would see all over the ship, the dance club was always rocking late into the night, and i even made my best cruise friends to date on a sailing out of NY. and, the total opposite from my galveston cruises, where almost everyone was a texan, i was the only texan (at that time) that i found!

also, i would have to say i found certain 'groups' that were not from let's say 'line cultures', with people cutting in line, insisting on overloading elevators before letting people off, etc. i saw more of this on my cruise from NY than my other sailings combined, though i can't say from my limited experience that it is the 'norm' on sailings from NY, could have just been an off week / groups.

sailing out of NY was a little different than my previous cruises (miami, baltimore and galveston)... from NY, it was mainly people from the surrounding states (NJ, NY, PA, CT, etc.) but also a fairly large contingent (at least concerning those i came across) of canadian / french canadian. i'd say demographics skewed a little older on the whole, with less kids. most people seemed to keep to themselves / their group a bit more than some other ports i've experienced (especially galveston!).

that's not to say, however, that it was all sedate... there was a considerable group of younger adults (20s-30s) which i came across and would see all over the ship, the dance club was always rocking late into the night, and i even made my best cruise friends to date on a sailing out of NY. and, the total opposite from my galveston cruises, where almost everyone was a texan, i was the only texan (at that time) that i found!

also, i would have to say i found certain 'groups' that were not from let's say 'line cultures', with people cutting in line, insisting on overloading elevators before letting people off, etc. i saw more of this on my cruise from NY than my other sailings combined, though i can't say from my limited experience that it is the 'norm' on sailings from NY, could have just been an off week / groups.

I would agree with your assessment, especially the last part. You said it better than I could have......

I think it all depends on that specific cruise sometimes. My experience has been this:

Our New York Carnival Glory 5 Night sailing to Canada in July seemed to be comprised of mainly of local NY and NJ people on a "quick" get away. It felt like everyone was in a hurry and not able to just chill and relax. Many looked like they just wanted to get this over with and get back because they had things to do. I saw many more that looked like they were on a working vacation than any other cruise I have been on. During the shows many of them sat with their arms crossed, barely applauded, and just seemed like they just couldn't wait to get out of there because they had somewhere else they wanted to be. I actually started to feel bad for the entertainers who really weren't that bad.

Our New Orleans NCL Jewel Cruise 7 Nights in October seemed to be comprised mainly of couples like us. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary on that cruise. It just seemed like a laid back relaxing cruise for couples.

Our FLL Ruby Princess 5 Night Cruise in March surprised us. We were expecting more of a Spring Break crowd and ended up with a cruise full of FLL Retirement Groups and Snow Birds. We were definitely some of the youngest and we were in our mid-40's. Quite frankly it was a little too sedate for us.

All of our other cruises were out of FL (Port Orlando, Port Everglades, Port of Miami, and Port of Tampa) on NCL, Disney, and CCL. They all seemed to have the same type vibe with similar demographics....mostly families from all around country and world on a family vacation.

Edited by Warm Breezes