British Isles Cruises?

robinlynn

I am getting real close to booking mt British Isles cruise on the Silhouette for 2016.

I would love to get some feedback from anyone who has taken this cruise in either April or August.

The August one is the EXACT itinerary I want, with lots of extra time in Scotland, which is what I prefer, but we are a bit leary of planning a trip in August, since we have always been warned it is the most crowded month, with Europeans all on vacation as well. I know this advice makes sense in the Mediterranean or places that are the most popular to visit like Rome or Paris, but I don't know if the BI are on the same level of crowds as those other "hot spots" where everyone seems to gravitate . I also think the weather is better in the BI in July and August.

I know April would be less crowded, but I would lose most of the Scotland stops, with only one,

As I am writing this, I guess I am answering my own question:o, but i would still love to get any feedback from anyone who has done this trip.

Thanks. I am glad to be back on board planning another Celebrity trip!!

Robin

I am getting real close to booking mt British Isles cruise on the Silhouette for 2016.

I would love to get some feedback from anyone who has taken this cruise in either April or August.

The August one is the EXACT itinerary I want, with lots of extra time in Scotland, which is what I prefer, but we are a bit leary of planning a trip in August, since we have always been warned it is the most crowded month, with Europeans all on vacation as well. I know this advice makes sense in the Mediterranean or places that are the most popular to visit like Rome or Paris, but I don't know if the BI are on the same level of crowds as those other "hot spots" where everyone seems to gravitate . I also think the weather is better in the BI in July and August.

I know April would be less crowded, but I would lose most of the Scotland stops, with only one,

As I am writing this, I guess I am answering my own question:o, but i would still love to get any feedback from anyone who has done this trip.

Thanks. I am glad to be back on board planning another Celebrity trip!!

Robin

I did the trip in late May, so I can't advise you about August. That being said, if the August one has more stops in Scotland, I would absolutely take that one. If your cruise is during the Edinburgh Tattoo, definitely get tickets for that. Enjoy!

Hi We live in the UK and did a British Isles cruise in 2014 in August, the weather was fabulous most of the time. It was very busy in Edinburgh because the Tatoo and the Fringe was on. The atmosphere was very lively even though it was drizzly.

I wouldn't perhaps drive down to Cornwall in August because it is peak holiday time but on a cruise ship you will be saved from busy roads etc.

We didn't do the cruise on Celebrity but I would definitely recommend that you do the Itinery that appeals to you. We loved our cruise.

I definitely vote for August, although of course in the UK we never know what the weather will be like from one month to the next.

Robin

I didn't see an April British Isles cruise for next year -- but, we're booked on the May Silhouette sailing. I'm hoping that it won't be too chilly, in late May/early June. Sadly, our cruise only has one stop in Scotland, though.

I didn't see an April British Isles cruise for next year -- but, we're booked on the May Silhouette sailing. I'm hoping that it won't be too chilly, in late May/early June. Sadly, our cruise only has one stop in Scotland, though.

I guess the one you are taking is the one i was thinking of when I said April. I can't decide which to take. I think May will be less crowded, but I love the extra days in Edinburgh and Inverness. But we lose Glasgow which sounds great too and is on the May cruise as well.

And I guess with these cruises, weather is always a factor. But either one will be great!

Robin

We did this cruise in August last year. Unlike Jem 12 who found the weather fabulous, we were freezing. We came to find out that last August was the coldest on record. Our perception probably had a lot to do with the fact that we are desert rats from Las Vegas!

This is a great cruise and I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. Take warm jackets, good umbrellas and waterproof shoes. If they are not needed, leave them in your cabin. Our favorite part of the whole cruise turned out to be Wales. Very surprising to us. We did DYI in every port.

Judy

We did this cruise in August last year. Unlike Jem 12 who found the weather fabulous, we were freezing. We came to find out that last August was the coldest on record. Our perception probably had a lot to do with the fact that we are desert rats from Las Vegas!

This is a great cruise and I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. Take warm jackets, good umbrellas and waterproof shoes. If they are not needed, leave them in your cabin. Our favorite part of the whole cruise turned out to be Wales. Very surprising to us. We did DYI in every port.

Judy

Thanks for the advice. My husband will not be happy to hear it will be so cold and wet!! Did you use the roll calls for the DYI tours?? I did that on our last cruise of the Adriatic a few years ago and we got much more personalized tours. I even hired two of the tour guides that Rick Steves used

on his shows, for a fraction of the cost of the ship tours.

Thanks again!

Robin

Hi We live in the UK and did a British Isles cruise in 2014 in August, the weather was fabulous most of the time. It was very busy in Edinburgh because the Tatoo and the Fringe was on. The atmosphere was very lively even though it was drizzly.

I wouldn't perhaps drive down to Cornwall in August because it is peak holiday time but on a cruise ship you will be saved from busy roads etc.

We didn't do the cruise on Celebrity but I would definitely recommend that you do the Itinery that appeals to you. We loved our cruise.

I definitely vote for August, although of course in the UK we never know what the weather will be like from one month to the next.

Definitely doing August and keeping our fingers crossed about the weather....we are from Florida and don't do well in the cold (but are definitely used to rain!)

Thanks

Robin

Hi, I live near Loch Lomond not far from Glasgow. Even in August you can still get the 4 seasons in the same day! Don't let that put you off as it is a beautiful place all year round. Never gets too busy. I am biased but you must visit Glasgow.

If you decide to do the August 2016 cruise, here is the roll call for it which my husband started:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44806159#post44806159

We have quite a few people already and we are talking about doing a pre-cruise dinner in Amsterdam. Some of us have already booked tickets through Celebrity for the Military Tattoo with the thought we might get together for a private tour and cancel the Celebrity tour. We just wanted to make sure we get in.

As to weather, we are from Seattle so rain won't bother us.

We did around the UK cruise in August 2014. Last week of August and the first week of September on the Infinity. It was a great cruise. The weather was perfect. We like the Infinity it is a little smaller than the S class ships.

We did around the UK cruise in August 2014. Last week of August and the first week of September on the Infinity. It was a great cruise. The weather was perfect. We like the Infinity it is a little smaller than the S class ships.

Glad to hear you had such good weather!!! I hope we are as lucky!!!:)

Robin

If you decide to do the August 2016 cruise, here is the roll call for it which my husband started:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44806159#post44806159

We have quite a few people already and we are talking about doing a pre-cruise dinner in Amsterdam. Some of us have already booked tickets through Celebrity for the Military Tattoo with the thought we might get together for a private tour and cancel the Celebrity tour. We just wanted to make sure we get in.

As to weather, we are from Seattle so rain won't bother us.

I'll be joining your roll call as soon as I complete my reservation. Waiting for my TA to get back in town. Wow!! You all are really early birds....I thought I was booking early!! BTW I am Robin and my husband is Larry.

My friend and I are also on the August, 2016 Silhouette British Isles cruise and the roll call is great! It's been a very active roll call for months now.

We had originally booked the same cruise in 2015, but it went to the British Open and we aren't golfers. Then we changed our booking to the August, 2016 specifically to go to the Military Tattoo and to see more of Scotland.

Hope you guys can join us!! :D