Norwegian Dawn - Cruise to Bermuda - Passport Question

craigles14

Hello everyone!

Me, my girlfriend, my sister and my brother in-law just booked our first cruise, the Norwegian Dawn cruising to Bermuda. The cruise leaves May 1st.

Ive done a bit of research, and I know that technically a passport is not needed for this cruise, that it is highly recommended to have one in case of emergencies.

My question is, given the fact that the cruise is pretty much exactly 6 weeks away from today, do you think a passport would come in time if it were not expedited? Given the increased cost of expediting a passport, Id like to stay away from doing so if at all possible. I know the passport website says 4-6 weeks for standard service, but Id like to hear thoughts from those with a little more experience.

Thanks in advance!

tl,dr: Cruise is six weeks away, will my passport come in time with non expedited service?

tl,dr: Cruise is six weeks away, will my passport come in time with non expedited service?
Chances are yes, but send your application off ASAP. Do it now.

Edit: It might help if you let people know which passport office you'll be going through. But 6 weeks should be plenty if everything goes normally. Send it off today.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

It is a RIP OFF to use the absolutely positively have to be there overnight

express delivery ---UNLESS--- that is the case. With a 6 week window you

should be fine - no government holidays to contend with !

"BUT" don't delay - do it now - if something is missing from your passport

paperwork you want the time to correct it post haste !

The primary reason a Passport is beneficial is that if you miss the boat

or have a medical emergency you can fly home from that point with little

or no fuss. No passport and the airlines are reluctant to deal with your

problem and it not quite as simple as waiting a week or more for the next

voyage with the cruise line that got you where you are. Of course the US

Consulate will help you but why put up with all the red tape and perhaps

extra expenses relative to getting the problem solved ?

If you're going to apply for a passport this close to the cruise, be sure to have an extra copy of your birth certificate. You have to submit your BC with the passport application, and it won't be returned to you until the passport issuance process has been completed. (It will be returned in a separate envelope by the way.) If there's a delay in issuing the passport, you'll need the birth certificate as proof of citizenship for the cruise.

Hello everyone!

Me, my girlfriend, my sister and my brother in-law just booked our first cruise, the Norwegian Dawn cruising to Bermuda. The cruise leaves May 1st.

Ive done a bit of research, and I know that technically a passport is not needed for this cruise, that it is highly recommended to have one in case of emergencies.

My question is, given the fact that the cruise is pretty much exactly 6 weeks away from today, do you think a passport would come in time if it were not expedited? Given the increased cost of expediting a passport, Id like to stay away from doing so if at all possible. I know the passport website says 4-6 weeks for standard service, but Id like to hear thoughts from those with a little more experience.

Thanks in advance!

My guess is that if you apply this week you will have them before April 15th unless there is some government shutdown, or unless there is some issue with your application.

Current turn around time is less than 4 weeks.

If you're going to apply for a passport this close to the cruise, be sure to have an extra copy of your birth certificate. You have to submit your BC with the passport application, and it won't be returned to you until the passport issuance process has been completed. (It will be returned in a separate envelope by the way.) If there's a delay in issuing the passport, you'll need the birth certificate as proof of citizenship for the cruise.

Excellent advice!

Make sure it is a certified copy with a raised seal, not just a photo copy. A photo copy will not be accepted.

Make sure it is a certified copy with a raised seal, not just a photo copy. A photo copy will not be accepted.

Forget the "raised seal" part. Many if not most jurisdictions no longer use a raised seal on the BC but rather use other methods to identify the document as genuine. It just has to be the official BC issued by your state, county or city.

Just FYI: we sent our passport renewal 2/14 priority mail, delivered 2/17 P.O. Box. Processing completed 3/13, received today 3/18 via priority mail. Approximately 4+ weeks with a holiday in between. This might give you an idea of the times.

Please be aware that most birth certificates do not have raised seals. You need to have a birth certificate that is certified by a governement agency. Some use seals, some use stamps, and others use special paper. it doesn't matter whihc form is used, as long as it is certified according to that state's laws.

If it a renew of an existing or expired passport you should be fine, but like others have commented...get the ball rolling. We just renewed our daughters passport and it was in the mailbox in less than two weeks. Not sure if the turn around time is as quick for a first issue, but hopefully you'll be ok.