Proof of 18% gratuity on specialty restaurants

hpecorari

I thought the charge for the specialty restaurants was the gratuity, was that really not true?

This is one of my beefs with RCI. They jacked up their specialty restaurant prices in the last few months as well. I distinctly remember when these upcharge dining options appeared on RCI that the $25 charge for Chops was the tip. Now its almost $40 and not worth it.

littlelulu01

I agree with you 100% that I think the crew have felt they are well compensated. I have purchased the UBP before and was confident that the gratuity that I paid with the package was reaching those who deserved it. The question though is what about all the UBP that have been given away since the promotion started back in December. It takes time before it can be seen if they are having an impact. With the cost of drinks increasing 7%, the tip increase to 18% and more people drinking with the promotional UBP and soda packages they bar staff should be seeing a significant increase in pay from this point forward. Would be interesting to know if someone hears of that happening.

CantWaitToCruise50

You will not have to pay anything additional as your package is grandfathered in.

Rochelle

My guess is that NCL is probably not doing all this out of the goodness of their hearts and perhaps keeping a little for profit but if in the end staff end up getting more then we all end up winners. We get better service and happy staff. They get more $. The 18% on specially dining is on the high side if they still get DSC.

I'll be on the same cruise as you so let's hope it's all ironed out by then and we end up with happy staff and happy passengers. Btw to thanks for the spreadsheet on the roll call.

For me, it's about the bottom line. I love Disney Cruise. They "charge" a daily charge to my OBC for tips. The website breaks it down by per position per day. The specialty dining is "at your discretion." When I dine in specialty dining, I don't decrease the tip to my daily server because he didn't serve me that day. So basically I'm paying him for doing nothing for me and I'm tipping my specialty dining server.

When I dine in specialty dining on NCL I tip the wait staff.

So assuming the cash tip I gave the specialty dining is indeed pooled there is no difference at all to me.

I would rather cruise Disney but the bottom line is generally considerably higher than NCL.

Rules set many years ago are just that and require changes now and then. Remember the time we weren't being charged for checking luggage at the airlines, when we could bring a bottle of soda through the security checkpoint? How about when smoking was allowed on balconies? Did you complain when that rule was changed? Rules change over time - be it from economic or societal pressures. Like I said, it's not a reflection on you or me. You can go with the flow or let it leave a sour taste. I prefer to go with the flow.

You used the example of people not tipping in the specialty restaurants as justification for this recent change. That is not valid !! The specialty restaurants were in place when the auto gratuities started and the waitstaff in the specialties were included in the pool, so back to my original statement that was a quote from NCL.. Tipping was not required nor expected.

NCL made the original move, and I have no quarrel with that, but don't try to justify their actions by saying the reason is people not tipping. They have been tipping all along via the auto gratuities.

Another reason I don't believe the 18% is fair is the waitstaff in the specialties don't work any harder than those in the MDRs. In fact their jobs are easier because of the proximity of the kitchens to the dining rooms in the specialties. The MDR kitchen is much further away.

The ONLY reason NCL can assess the 18% is that they have a dollar figure to attach the charge to in the specialties. It is a phony charge that was slipped in without notice and therein lies the crux of the problem.

It is your choice if you choose to accept it. I have no argument with what you do.

Edited by swedish weave

You used the example of people not tipping in the specialty restaurants as justification for this recent change. That is not valid !! The specialty restaurants were in place when the auto gratuities started and the waitstaff in the specialties were included in the pool, so back to my original statement that was a quote from NCL.. Tipping was not required nor expected.

You said in your previous post complaining of the added 18% charge for specialties of NCL: "They set the rules many years ago and now are changing them." I'll refer back to this at the bottom of my post.

A year ago, NCL had a rule that one could smoke on their balcony. That changed last October. If you are such a stickler about rules being changed, you should have complained when the smoking rules changed.

Your statement covers ALL rules, not just rules that you don't like or just the DSC. You can bemoan the loss of your "Tipping was not required nor expected" rule now all you want, just like all those smokers bemoaned the loss of their balcony privileges. I'm sure many of them thought the same thing - NCL unfairly changed the rules on them.

There a word for championing rule changes you like and offering the above statement in response for rule changes you don't like.

You said in your previous post complaining of the added 18% charge for specialties of NCL: "They set the rules many years ago and now are changing them." I'll refer back to this at the bottom of my post.

A year ago, NCL had a rule that one could smoke on their balcony. That changed last October. If you are such a stickler about rules being changed, you should have complained when the smoking rules changed.

Your statement covers ALL rules, not just rules that you don't like or just the DSC. You can bemoan the loss of your "Tipping was not required nor expected" rule now all you want, just like all those smokers bemoaned the loss of their balcony privileges. I'm sure many of them thought the same thing - NCL unfairly changed the rules on them.

There a word for championing rule changes you like and offering the above statement in response for rule changes you don't like.

Actually, NCL made proper notification to customers that the smoking rules were changing. They did it months in advance of the change. Before final payment was due for the cruises affected by the change, thus giving guests the opportunity to cancel if they felt this change wouldn't suit them.

Nice try...your point is valid, sure.... Next time just use a better example!

Actually, NCL made proper notification to customers that the smoking rules were changing. They did it months in advance of the change. Before final payment was due for the cruises affected by the change, thus giving guests the opportunity to cancel if they felt this change wouldn't suit them.

Nice try...your point is valid, sure.... Next time just use a better example!

I think the "NCL proper notification" rule went out when the BA folks found out their reservations for shows where no longer in effect once they were on board the ship, so imagine I used that one instead.

However, I think the majority of the posters complaining on this thread are not within their final payment period - which to me is the same thing.

Edited by rpb718

I think it depends how the service it. Last cruise I gave the room steward an extra $40 in cash for 2 rooms we had because he was fantastic and just really nice guy to talk to. Everything was always done right away. However, I never did that on any other NCL cruises. Hopefully at least the staff is getting all this extra money.

None of this is helping the CEO get his extra $50 a week as it should all go to the staff based on how it is being billed!!!

Edited by BrPanthers99

I( don't understand how you equate smoking rules with the 18% gratuity. Maybe in your mind, they are similar, but they are definitely two different items altogether.

Please don't tell me what I should have done. That is an inane statement and doesn't relate to the subject of this thread.

NCL is blatantly double dipping with the added charge and they are not providing any information that will justify their actions. As I said earlier, the only reason they did this is because they have a dollar figure to attach the charge to. They CAN'T do this with the MDR's because they don't have a number to attach it to.

I( don't understand how you equate smoking rules with the 18% gratuity. Maybe in your mind, they are similar, but they are definitely two different items altogether.
Obviously, every example where they have changed a rule is different from every other example where they have changed another rule. But rpb718's point is very simple: Your argument that the rule has always been this way, so it should always remain this way, is invalid. You have the right to complain when rules change (in fact, you have the right to complain whenever you want); but NCL has the right to change any rules that are not fixed in your passenger contract.

Please don't tell me what I should have done. That is an inane statement and doesn't relate to the subject of this thread.

NCL is blatantly double dipping with the added charge and they are not providing any information that will justify their actions. As I said earlier, the only reason they did this is because they have a dollar figure to attach the charge to. They CAN'T do this with the MDR's because they don't have a number to attach it to.

Not sure why you think NCL should justify their actions..their game their rules..I am fairly new to this board but wonder why you are always so negative in your postings..not trying to be rude, just trying to understand..

Jancruz1

Obviously, every example where they have changed a rule is different from every other example where they have changed another rule. But rpb718's point is very simple: Your argument that the rule has always been this way, so it should always remain this way, is invalid. You have the right to complain when rules change (in fact, you have the right to complain whenever you want); but NCL has the right to change any rules that are not fixed in your passenger contract.

Thanks haweyetise. In looking at "rules" in general, that sums it up perfectly.

As for NCL "blatantly double-dipping", there is no proof to that unless you go by the old "rule" that broke down who got what from the DSC. But NCL just changed the rules, so there is no proof that the old breakdown "rule" still applies and hasn't also been changed.

This is one of my beefs with RCI. They jacked up their specialty restaurant prices in the last few months as well. I distinctly remember when these upcharge dining options appeared on RCI that the $25 charge for Chops was the tip. Now its almost $40 and not worth it.

I was about to say something similar: The only positive thing I can think of when reading about the 18% is: most other lines charge a lot more for their specialty dining rooms. Heck we paid $30 for the French restaurant (I think it was french ) on HAL almost 10 years ago. So there is a plus as long as the prices don't continue to go up as well.

If passengers feel 18% is going to impact them, they are welcome to dine in the buffet, I'm sure you will find a nice window table, personalized service, tranquility and what's 18% on Free? Or maybe they could have one less cocktail during the day freeing up more than enough for this new gratuity, and perhaps making them less obnoxious

*Living large one week at a time*

They do have the right to change the rules, and I have the right to expect them to notify their guests of the changes.

You have the right to accept their underhanded tactics, and I have the right not to accept it.

Enjoy !!!!!!

They do have the right to change the rules, and I have the right to expect them to notify their guests of the changes.
I agree with you about the lack of notification. At issue is your comment:
Let's be fair about this. Don't try to justify the company's actions. They set the rules many years ago and now are changing them.
This is not a valid argument. This is a very long thread (and it branched off from an even longer thread). People have made very good points on all sides of the argument. This is not one of them. Edited by hawkeyetlse

I agree with you about the lack of notification. At issue is your comment:

This is not a valid argument. This is a very long thread (and it branched off from an even longer thread). People have made very good points on all sides of the argument. This is not one of them.

I think it would help if you could not edit your quotes so that they look like they were made by the wrong person.

Okay ..... this may make me sound like a ding-a-ling, but that's okay ...... I guess! ha! It's just about normal for me!! he,he,he!

But, I really thought 18% was a pretty high tip! I googled to see what tips are considered normal when dining. Gosh, I just think it sounds like so much money ..... after you pay for dinner and then tip that much!!!

But, dh and I do not eat out much at all. I would eat out every single chance I could, but dh has crohns and he really has never enjoyed eating out that much. Maybe it's because I'm such an excellent cook! he,he! And when we do eat out, it's not fine dining.

I can remember way back when 10% tip was fine. Then it went up to 12%, then 15%. I didn't really realize it had bounced up to 18%.

The one think that I really don't like is that it's an automatic tip on drinks of 18%. We haven't been alcohol drinkers for many years, for reasons. But, if I were to order a drink, I would think giving $1 is what I would think was acceptable. I would pry just hand over a $1 bill and think I was just fine with that. But I can see now I would be way off with that!

I'm serious with this question ...... why would it be 18%??? Is it really that hard to make a drink?? Doesn't it just take a few minutes? I can see for wait staff, because they really do give you a lot of work when taking orders, serving, cleaning up ..... a lot of time is given you. But 18% tip for someone that just makes you a drink seems super high to me.

But then again, I think the price for alcoholic drinks is way super high! Again, I'm sure I'm showing my age. ha! Kind of like when an older person says, "In my day you could buy gas for 25 cents a gallon"! ha! But they only made $1.00 an hour.

We are in our mid-50's, so maybe we are just becoming old folks and behind the times??!! Yikes ..... could it be??

I just think 18% for service is getting over the top. Really for any type of service. Am I the only one thinking that. Or is everyone just used to that??? So it seems ok.

I just think any place that automatically adds on 18% tipping is not right. I want to determine my tip ..... what ever that may be! And I can tell from reading here, I do under tip, and I will correct that in the future I guess.

Okay ..... this may make me sound like a ding-a-ling, but that's okay ...... I guess! ha! It's just about normal for me!! he,he,he!

But, I really thought 18% was a pretty high tip! I googled to see what tips are considered normal when dining. Gosh, I just think it sounds like so much money ..... after you pay for dinner and then tip that much!!!

But, dh and I do not eat out much at all. I would eat out every single chance I could, but dh has crohns and he really has never enjoyed eating out that much. Maybe it's because I'm such an excellent cook! he,he! And when we do eat out, it's not fine dining.

I can remember way back when 10% tip was fine. Then it went up to 12%, then 15%. I didn't really realize it had bounced up to 18%.

The one think that I really don't like is that it's an automatic tip on drinks of 18%. We haven't been alcohol drinkers for many years, for reasons. But, if I were to order a drink, I would think giving $1 is what I would think was acceptable. I would pry just hand over a $1 bill and think I was just fine with that. But I can see now I would be way off with that!

I'm serious with this question ...... why would it be 18%??? Is it really that hard to make a drink?? Doesn't it just take a few minutes? I can see for wait staff, because they really do give you a lot of work when taking orders, serving, cleaning up ..... a lot of time is given you. But 18% tip for someone that just makes you a drink seems super high to me.

But then again, I think the price for alcoholic drinks is way super high! Again, I'm sure I'm showing my age. ha! Kind of like when an older person says, "In my day you could buy gas for 25 cents a gallon"! ha! But they only made $1.00 an hour.

We are in our mid-50's, so maybe we are just becoming old folks and behind the times??!! Yikes ..... could it be??

I just think 18% for service is getting over the top. Really for any type of service. Am I the only one thinking that. Or is everyone just used to that??? So it seems ok.

I just think any place that automatically adds on 18% tipping is not right. I want to determine my tip ..... what ever that may be! And I can tell from reading here, I do under tip, and I will correct that in the future I guess.

When we go out, we tip on the bar bill as a whole. I never leave a percentage for a bartender. I never heard of leaving a percentage for a bartender. Wait staff, yes ... but on a bar bill? No ... usually a few bucks .. more if we are running a tab.

Edited by SissasMomE

If the bartender is just handing over a beer, then yeah 18% is high. If decanting a glass of wine or pouring a lager or ale from a tap properly using the correct glasses, now we're getting closer but 18% is probably still high.

Now if we're talking about perfectly prepared mixed drinks and cocktails, 18% might be a bit low. In their own way, bartenders are chefs, scientists, magicians and shamans all rolled into one. Making sure the glasses are cold and contain just the right amount of ice (if applicable). Muddling the proper ingredients to obtain their essenses. Sharp eyeballs for pouring the correct proportions of fluids. Squeezing the living daylights out of oranges, lemons and limes to provide the correct "bite". Choosing the method of mixing - shaking or stirring - to combine the ingredients in a way that they will react with each other in the manner intended. Straining the resulting ambrosia into the correct type of glass. Adding the proper garnish to highlight the final presentation, and then placing it in front of you to be greeted like a long-lost friend.

Yes, 18% may not be enough for these unsung heroes.

<snip>

I'm serious with this question ...... why would it be 18%???<snip>

The cynic (realist:rolleyes:) in me thinks that is a pre-cursor to a hike to 20%. :mad:

As of March 20, 2015, Norwegian Cruise Line will include an 18% gratuity on all specialty and entertainment dining. This gratuity has been added as a convenience for our guests, and is in-line with current tipping practices at land-based restaurants.

So NCL, if this is added a a convenience for me (it is not a convenience btw), then I can remove it? Or request that it not be added in the first place?

So NCL, if this is added a a convenience for me (it is not a convenience btw), then I can remove it? Or request that it not be added in the first place?

At least you can ask for it to be removed either from the receipt when signing or later at Guest Services. It is not mandatory, just like the bar auto-gratuity.

Edited by Demonyte