Drinking age on excursions in Mexico

MNCruizer1

We are cruising for the first time in August. My oldest will be 20. I know the drinking age in Mexico is 18 but if we book excursions is it still 18? If we book excursions it will likely be through the ship. So I am assuming it will be 21 but just checking. I assume if we stop at a bar..while not on an excursion it would be 18?

Thank you

Carnival's view is that their limit is 21, I have seen them put people under 21 in house arrest when boarding the ship impaired in Cozumel. Nothing was done to the others that was with her but not showing signs of drinking too much.

My guess is a large number between 18 and 21 had drinks but maintained a reasonable limit and didn't present a problem on boarding. Carnival does not actually run the excursions so drinking will be up to the contracted operator.

Edited by Miller_KC

Wow!! I feel weird about letting my 20yr old drink..lol

We did some tastings and my son was 17 we let him taste. I don't see any harm at that age as long as you are NOT letting your child get drunk. He also was with us the whole time. We were told drinking age is 16 and there are no drinking and driving laws there either...

True :D ... if you can see over the bar and have money, you can get an alcoholic beverage in Mexico!

Keep in mind: While Carnival excursions (catamarans & such) are contracted out thru locals, these excursions do abide by the rules Carnival drinking rules in fear of losing their contract. ;)

LuLu

On the many excursions that I have been on I have never seen the operator care who drinks alcoholic beverages.

The cruise lines have no right to say who drinks anywhere except on the ship, and the only reason they could detain an 18 - 20 year old would be that they were unruly or what we would call publicly drunk.

More important than age restrictions, which are minimal, is how they handle drinking. The ship will frown on drunken behavior or disruption by any age.

Totally get that. My 20yr old son will not be getting wasted..lol. Not dealing with him like that on a cruise.