Dou you purchase

another vote on using insurance on any trip over 1,000.

I buy the insurance regardless of the price ... I was with some friends a few months back and he had to go to medical. Got a $700 bill. He had bought insurance and ending up getting it all reimbursed except for $70!

If, you live in the U.S., buying insurance for medical coverage, probably isn't necessary, since you'd be covered under your existing policy. You might consider just buying the cruiselines insurance in order to have some coverage, in case you have to cancel or for a reason other than medical. We used to travel all over the U.S. in our motor home and never thought about buying extra travel insurance.

We always buy travel insurance when traveling internationally.

Yes! I purchase it when cruising no matter what. I don't go "overboard" on it, but I at least want medical with EVACUATION included. This is what scares me. If you ever had to be air lifted off the ship, it would easily be 10's of thousands of dollars. Plus I get one that covers being transported back home if I were to get injured and taken to a hospital wherever I am. I consider travel delay and other things a bonus, but those wouldn't cause a financial hardship like a med-evac could.:eek:

Not clear why you would think Alaska is different to anywhere else you can cruise to insurance-wise.... I never travel anywhere without insurance, ever.

Maybe OP is planning private excursions that might not be cancel-able. We did Anan Creek in Alaska ($500 pp), had to book it well in advance, they company had to secure a special permit for each (the permits are limited per day), that tour as well as others in Alaska had strict cancellation policies.

Actually Alaska was the first time we DID get insurance. We typically get travel insurance if it is an expensive cruise, if we have expensive excursions, if we have to get on a plane to get there, and definitely if its foreign. For our late booking cruises, our of PEV or Miami (25 miles away), we rarely get insurance.

We did learn that BCBS covers us medically anywhere including getting us to a suitable facility if needed, so we no longer get that extra coverage.

What kind of insurance are you referring to? We always have extra medical coverage and if we're paying full fare air (we usually use my husbands airline employee passes) then we get the travel coverage. We booked a last minute Alaska and didn't bother with the travel/canc ins. Don't ever leave home without medical coverage though.

When we went to Alaska and took my mom and her friend, it was one of the few trips where we didn't purchase travel insurance. There was a booking and logistic problem splitting up the booking with family members.

Mom is a Medicare recipient, and I told her that if she became ill, she was going to have to wait until an Alaska port to see a physician. :D

It worked out on that single trip, but it is not something I would encourage anyone to do. :)

If' date=' you live in the U.S., buying insurance for medical coverage, probably isn't necessary, since you'd be covered under your existing policy. You might consider just buying the cruiselines insurance in order to have some coverage, in case you have to cancel or for a reason other than medical. We used to travel all over the U.S. in our motor home and never thought about buying extra travel insurance.

We always buy travel insurance when traveling internationally.[/quote']

I respectfully don't agree with your comments re medical. Firstly, If you need to see the doctor on board they will not be in network with insurance. DD has seen doctor onboard. With medication I think bill was around $150 and that was a few years ago. We got the money back through the Travel insurance easy enough, but had to file through our insurance company (major US health insurance provider) first and get a letter to state they would not cover as not in network.

Secondly, if you need to be airlifted off for medical reason US medical insurance bill would be extortionate. There is the possibility that if you are evacuated, you may even end up in Canada depending on where the ship is when you are evacuated.

Thirdly, all Alaskan cruises dock somewhere in Canada, which again won't be covered if you are disembarked by the ship in port to recieve medical treatment.

We were in Alaska when a young boy was taken ill. There were no ports easily accessible and they sent a medical helicopter that hovered over the ship to airlift him off, as we were in a passage at the time. It was a medical emergency. Anything can happen, even to fit and healthy people at any moment with little to no warning. It is not like being on land and being able to call an ambulance , that your medical insurance will probably still only partially cover. The costs involved are hugely different. I would never recommend taking the risk. Better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by Spurschick

Understand what your getting insured. I really believe most folks buy it with no knowledge of what is covered.

I also see many folks that would never, ever travel without it.

But, they will fly from Chicago to Florida for 2 weeks at Disney, and not buy insurance.

Not saying it is right or wrong, but people should think through it.

I respectfully don't agree with your comments re medical. Firstly, If you need to see the doctor on board they will not be in network with insurance. DD has seen doctor onboard. With medication I think bill was around $150 and that was a few years ago. We got the money back through the Travel insurance easy enough, but had to file through our insurance company (major US health insurance provider) first and get a letter to state they would not cover as not in network.

Secondly, if you need to be airlifted off for medical reason US medical insurance bill would be extortionate. There is the possibility that if you are evacuated, you may even end up in Canada depending on where the ship is when you are evacuated.

Thirdly, all Alaskan cruises dock somewhere in Canada, which again won't be covered if you are disembarked by the ship in port to recieve medical treatment.

We were in Alaska when a young boy was taken ill. There were no ports easily accessible and they sent a medical helicopter that hovered over the ship to airlift him off, as we were in a passage at the time. It was a medical emergency. Anything can happen, even to fit and healthy people at any moment with little to no warning. It is not like being on land and being able to call an ambulance , that your medical insurance will probably still only partially cover. The costs involved are hugely different. I would never recommend taking the risk. Better to be safe than sorry.

I guess every country and coverage is different. We are Canadian and our coverage (medical) is world wide, not much point in having it if it's just for your own country, that's already covered.

Guest maddycat
If' date=' you live in the U.S., buying insurance for medical coverage, probably isn't necessary, since you'd be covered under your existing policy. You might consider just buying the cruiselines insurance in order to have some coverage, in case you have to cancel or for a reason other than medical. We used to travel all over the U.S. in our motor home and never thought about buying extra travel insurance.

We always buy travel insurance when traveling internationally.[/quote']

And what if you have a medical emergency while in Alaska and you have to be air lifted to the mainland? It can happen. We don't travel without comprehensive travel insurance.

There's another thread just started about a sad situation of a couple who died in an accident and people believe RCL should refund even though it's after final payment for compassionate reasons. If RCL is willing to refund for all the really good reasons to cancel such as serious illness or death then insurance could become unnecessary. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2185466