MEDITERRANEAN cruise...alwayd did Caribbean

Was interested in taking a Mediterranean cruise in June. ALL of my 10 or so cruises have been the Caribbean so this is totally new. I am a beach and warm weather person. I am going with a friend of mine and leaving the boyfriend at home, have always cruised with him.

From the looks of it, the weather is mostly in the 70's. Just kinda skeptical about doing this. I have lots of research to do. I am not really a cultural person to be honest, but the person I am going with is. I like to sightsee though, just not really into culture, although I know that is what this will mostly be. I am open to give it a try.

Any suggestions?? I am at a loss being I am totally a sun and beach Caribbean cruises!

Did you mention which ports you'll be visiting? In June you are likely to have varied temperatures; could be cool one day, hot the next.

My advice is forget that you are missing the beach; this is going to be a completely different type of cruise and holiday. Dive in and just enjoy the beautiful ports and scenery. I predict you'll have an amazing time - it just won't be anything like your Caribbean cruises.

It's great time but is nothing like a caribbean cruise. There is so much to see and so little time to see it. Our cruise was very port intensive, 5 ports, 7 days w/ no sea day in between. Our feets were tired and we really enjoyed it.

Enjoy your cruise and plan, plan, plan!

Was interested in taking a Mediterranean cruise in June. ALL of my 10 or so cruises have been the Caribbean so this is totally new. I am a beach and warm weather person. I am going with a friend of mine and leaving the boyfriend at home, have always cruised with him.

From the looks of it, the weather is mostly in the 70's. Just kinda skeptical about doing this. I have lots of research to do. I am not really a cultural person to be honest, but the person I am going with is. I like to sightsee though, just not really into culture, although I know that is what this will mostly be. I am open to give it a try.

Any suggestions?? I am at a loss being I am totally a sun and beach Caribbean cruises!

To me Med cruises aren't like a cruise vacation. You're too busy and off the ship too often to enjoy it, relax and feel like you're on vacation.

Your proposed itinerary is important. I don't think of the Med as being a beach cruise. June is early. I was in Nice in June once and underwhelmed by the beach - all flat stones. I can go to Maine and do that. I did go in the water just to do it, but it was chilly.

I did Rome to Barcelona - wonderful ports and not overwhelmingly "cultural" - didn't set foot in any kind of "museum" on the cruise except Pompeii. Saw the Amalfi Coast, ruins and National Park in Sardinia, Majorca, and Valencia - all places I'd heard of but never thought I'd see.

If you are cruising in the Southern Mediterranean the weather should be warm in June. You will find wonderful beaches in Greece, Spain, Italy and France. The many beaches that we saw in Italy ( Amalfi Coast) was not sand, but pebbles. Ravenna in Italy was all sand and a vast expanse. Corfu and other beach resorts in Greece have fantastic beaches. As others have said, the Med. cruises are tour intensive and the only beaches that we went to (tours)was in Ravenna and Corfu. One thing that you will find is that you'll be able to see crystal clear water as in the Carib. versus the clarity of our Jersey beaches.

We've done one Mediterranean cruise. People kept talking about "port intensive" and I said to myself, "how different can it be?" On the fifth day of the cruise, we cancelled our planned excursions and stayed on the ship in Mallorca, because we're were too exhausted to get off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did the western Med last June. It was very warm to mildly hot .... however the water was unbelievably cold when we ventured in post - cruise while we were in Spain.

The only museum we visited was the Vatican Museum during our Rome stop. There is more than enough to see if you would rather skip art, museums and cultural demonstrations. Although it is not a hit the beach kind of vacation it does not need to be "stuffy" either. It was a truly amazing experience.

Agree with the others, a Med cruise is about the ports and the scenery and history. I love beach cruises too (Southern Caribbean is my favorite), but having said that, I think everyone who loves cruising should take a Med cruise at least once in their life.

We cruised the Med in June and July four years ago, and it was actually stinking hot. Our day in Rome, I just about melted. BUT... we were in Rome! Ya gotta suck it up. ;):D

If you are interested in going to Europe, then do a little more research and decide how many nights and what ports are important to you, and make the decision. Airfare is usually horrendously expensive, so I'd recommend spending a few extra days either pre- or post-cruise to get your maximum dollar's worth. Barcelona is fabulous, if you do want to sail from there.

I live in Florida and I love the beach and the Caribbean. But the Med, I adore!!!! Italy, Greece, Turkey, Spain & France.

The beaches are colder. In my opinion it is far more expensive in the Med. I agree with the other posters, read up on the ports.

We love cruising the Med. We did Med cruises in 2012 and 2014 (see the link in my signature) and I am planning to book one for 2016. Have a look at my blogs to see what fun we had. We are not hugely museum-type people. We love the beaches, the different foods and drinks and just the "vibe" of the different places. I'm sure you would love a Med cruise!

I'm from the UK and we can easily visit Europe for weekend trips, which we often do. I don't think there's any major European sight we haven't been to. We've also been on several Caribbean cruises, the Middle East, Far East and a couple of Med ones. We've also travelled in the US.

We love the Caribbean. Gorgeous beaches, great views, laid back people. Med cruises are very different. The weather from late May to early October is hot, and the heat generally feels more intense in the cities than in the Caribbean. Some beaches are very nice but none are as good as in Caribbean and the sea water will be a few degrees cooler.

European cities are fabulous and this is the main reason for a Med cruise. As already stated they are very port intensive and very different to the Caribbean cruises. You don't have to be interested in museums to enjoy them. Just soak up the history, culture, architecture and vibe of the different cities and regions as you wander about. Yes, they are very port intensive and you're on the go every day but it's well worth it.

If you've never been to Europe and have the chance to go, then you should. And be prepared to take hundreds of photographs!

I agree that every cruiser needs to experience the Med at least once in their lifetime.

The key is to research thoroughly all the ports you will visit in advance and plan your days wisely. You can have some all day tours and some shorter ones which is what we opted for so we weren't completely worn out. There's nothing quite like seeing sites you've read about in history books and walk paths that are thousands of years old.

You may want to consider a cruise that includes the Greek islands and enjoy some beach time at places like Mykonos.

Barcelona is a fabulous port to sail from as it's close to the airport and a truly amazing city to explore.

Just be sure to fly in a day or two early to see the many incredible sites and walk along the waterfront.

If you let us know your itinerary, I'm sure we can guide you in planning.

Once you go, I am certain you'll want to return.

The Mediteranean is a big place!? Can you be more specific which countries/ports you are visiting. It would be wrong to say the beaches are just pebbles, there some fabulous sandy beaches - if you post which ports you are visiting I will tell you the best beaches you can go to. Why don't you go your separate ways and do what you both enjoy, you could go to the beach and your friend could see the sights?

As for the weather, the same applies .... some countries will be hotter than others. It all depends on where you are going.

You're right that a Med cruise is a totally different experience to a Caribbean cruise. Very busy! :) There are beautiful places to visit without having to be overly cultural.

One of my favourite places is Santorini, which is one of the ports on the Eastern med itinerary. Stunning small island. Can be very hot in June! On the Western Med itinerary there are places like Mallorca, which has a nice town to walk around if you don't want anything energetic, but also has sandy beaches (which some others don't) There are lots of things to see and do on a Med cruise that make it so different and that don't have to involve historical places - but there are lots of those if you change your mind :D You can always book another Caribbean one when you get back, to recuperate after the fast pace of the Med one! :D

Harmony? Or Brilliance (2 itineraries - Greek Isles or the one that goes to Venice)

Barcelona, good port to begin your cruise :) It has it's own beach so you can walk there from the city centre. It can get busy in the summer months but June should be ok. If all you want to do is to lay in the sun and people watch then it is a wonderful place to spend an afternoon. It is sandy and clean and the best bonus is that you get beach and culture all in one place. So you can both be happy here!

If you like scenery then head north. Take a taxi or catch a bus. The beaches are breathtaking and here you will find rocky coves, pretty beaches, crystal clear waters, and stunning views. We go to Catalonia often and love this part of Spain.

was looking at the cruise on of Barcelona. so much research being I don't know much about these ports.

Well, start by doing some research.:)

Get a couple of tour books - my favorite is Rick Steves, who now has a book specifically aimed at Med cruisers, and all of the majors put them out - Eyewitness Travel, Fodor's, Frommers, Lonely Planet, etc. Don't get more than 2 so as to avoid being overwhelmed. Also visit the ports of call threads on CC for ideas of things to do on your own - I hate large busses and try to avoid them at all costs, so do a mix of small private tours and putting something together after reading my guidebook.

Think of a European cruise as a history class with great food and wine.:D

Well, start by doing some research.:)

Get a couple of tour books - my favorite is Rick Steves, who now has a book specifically aimed at Med cruisers, and all of the majors put them out - Eyewitness Travel, Fodor's, Frommers, Lonely Planet, etc. Don't get more than 2 so as to avoid being overwhelmed. Also visit the ports of call threads on CC for ideas of things to do on your own - I hate large busses and try to avoid them at all costs, so do a mix of small private tours and putting something together after reading my guidebook.

Think of a European cruise as a history class with great food and wine.:D

So true! Rick Steves Guide to Med Cruise ports was my bible along with Lonely Planet.

I literally spent 13 months researching the ports of call for our 12 day Med cruise.

It's been 18 months and my husband still can't believe that I planned the trip of a lifetime without one bit of input from him. We did all private excursions or DIY and everything went off without a hitch.

This is not a trip,where you " wing it. "