Magic of the Meditteranean - preferred side?

AusS2000

We have cruised with Holland America a few times and really love the line.

We are looking to book the 24 day Magic of the Meditteranean cruise in September 2016 and are wondering if there is a preferred side for views when in port? We are spending a bit extra on a level 8 balcony room and would like to make the best of it.

This is a pretty common question without a great answer. Keep in mind that when it comes to ports you will see one view when entering a port and usually (not always) the opposite side when departing :). And as to the best side when docking (or dropping anchor) it varies up to 180 degrees based on the sea/wind conditions, actual assigned pier, and whether the Captain (and Pilot) decide it's best to dock bow-in or bow-out.

So what to do? When DW and I have a balcony/veranda we usually choose based on the sun position. And this comes down to whether you prefer to see the sunsets from your balcony, or perhaps be able to sit on your balcony in the late afternoon without the sun being in your face. Or perhaps you want shade in the morning so you can enjoy your morning coffee or breakfast on the balcony without being blinded by the sun.

Hank

It really doesn't make a lot of difference. You want to be on the Starboard side for the sail in to Venice, and port side for sailing out. But the best place for that would be topside. When we did this cruise, there was narration on the public decks about what we could see, and if you are on your balcony, you can't hear it, and can only see one side of the canal. The sail in to Kotor is lovely, but again, you only see one side from your balcony.

Just a caution: I see you are in Istanbul, and your second day there is a Sunday. The Grand Bazaar is not open on Sunday. If you book a tour that goes there, they won't substitute anything else. Just leave you off at a carpet shop and to wander for an hour or two in an area with not much to see. EM

We look at the direction of the cruise in relationship to the sun and the time of the year when sailing. In the Caribbean we like the morning sun and shade in the hot afternoon. Docking of the ship does not always happen on the port side as previous poster stated.

It's all very personal but whatever side your on you will enjoy your verandah. I especially enjoy the quiet morning as the ship is slipping into port and you can slip on your robe, go on your verandah and watch the approach with sleep still in your eyes.

You just need to look over your railing and see you are not the only one who enjoys those moments..

Once you figure out which direction the ship is heading you then know which side of the ship the sun is on. Do you what to see the sun raise in the morning or see the sun set in the evening? The expression POSH come from the old days of sea voyages from the British going to from India, port side out, starboard home. In either case it doesn't really matter, enjoy your balcony.

Allan

The expression POSH come from the old days of sea voyages from the British going to from India, port side out, starboard home.
Sorry, that's a myth. From Wikipedia:

False backronyms

Sometimes the backronym is so commonly heard that it is widely but incorrectly believed to have been used in the formation of the word, and amounts to a false etymology or an urban legend. Examples include posh, an adjective describing stylish items or members of the upper class. A popular story derives the word as an acronym from "port out, starboard home", referring to first class cabins shaded from the sun on outbound voyages east and homeward heading voyages west.[19] The word's actual etymology is unknown, but it may relate to Romani påš xåra ("half-penny") or to Urdu safed-pōśh (one who wears "white robes"), a derogatory term for wealthy people.[20]

We did this same cruise in May 2014. We were on the port side but I honestly don't think it made much of a difference. As someone else mentioned, go out on the deck for the sailaway in Venice. This cruise truly lives up to its name - it is magic!! This is a very port intensive trip. You will be happy for the few sea days. One port is more interesting than the other. Top 3 ports for me...Venice, Istanbul and Barcelona. You will not regret booking this trip!

Helen

Wow, just checked back on this post and was delighted to see lots of great responses. Does CC have an option to be notified when someone responds? I'll have to look into it.

Also very happy to hear there is no 'good side'. We can book our cabin confident that we will enjoy our view regardless. Thanks all. ;)

Wow, just checked back on this post and was delighted to see lots of great responses. Does CC have an option to be notified when someone responds? I'll have to look into it.
Click Thread Tools on the right side of the thread header bar and choose Subscribe to this Thread. You can then choose to get emails by "instant notification" (actually a few minutes usually) or daily or weekly.

When you are subscribed to a thread a check mark will show in the upper right corner of the title box on the forum home page. If you wish to later cancel a subscription, click the Thread Tools again and one choice will be Unsubscribe.

Edited by jtl513

We like to be on the side that faces the port the most often. DH doesn't always get around really well and spends a lot of time out on our balcony. And yes, we know it's a crap shoot which side faces the port but we find we're right more often than not.

*Google "images port of _________" (fill in the specific port)

*A choice will come up that's all images for what you requested

*Then we record how many images the ship face port and how many starboard .

*Do the same for all of the ports.

*Finally we look at the final tallies and choose the side we're betting will most likely be facing the direction we want.

:D:D Can you tell the cruising is my hobby?? LOL :D:D

Edited by summersigh

We like to be on the side that faces the port the most often. DH doesn't always get around really well and spends a lot of time out on our balcony. And yes, we know it's a crap shoot which side faces the port but we find we're right more often than not.

*Google "images port of _________" (fill in the specific port)

*A choice will come up that's all images for what you requested

*Then we record how many images the ship face port and how many starboard .

*Do the same for all of the ports.

*Finally we look at the final tallies and choose the side we're betting will most likely be facing the direction we want.

:D:D Can you tell the cruising is my hobby?? LOL :D:D

If someone actually does this, please post here since we are doing the same cruise in June. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

We were on the starboard side this April in the Med. I loved the sail into Venice. I would not have missed it for anything.

There were quite a few tender ports and we docked port or starboard probably equal number of times.

We were on the starboard side this April in the Med. I loved the sail into Venice. I would not have missed it for anything.

There were quite a few tender ports and we docked port or starboard probably equal number of times.

We were on the Port side and I agree that we were docked port or starboard roughly an equal number as well.

We've done two transatlantic crossings with b2b for two years on NA, a lot of repeat ports. We choose port side, however, have found each of the two years by far the starboard side had better views. We don't mind because we do an aft corner deck eight and get great views no matter what side we dock.

I see that someone mentioned that you were going to be in Istanbul on a Sunday and that the Grand Bazaar would be closed. Let me offer another suggestion that may work for you.

We decided to do a tour with a cruise critic group using a private company. They were amazing. The tour guide (who owned the company with her husband) knew we would be arriving at 4PM. Her suggestion was that instead of just waiting around for the next day they would pick us up on arrival and take us to the Grand Bazaar that afternoon. We arrived at the bazaar about 5PM and they closed around 7PM (if I remember correctly). She then arranged for all of us (16 people) to have dinner at a local Turkish restaurant which was fabulous.

The next day we did the full tour of all the important highlights of Istanbul including the cisterns. Because we had gone to the Grand Bazaar the day before she was able to include the Spice Market on the second day.

If you would like more information please feel free to email me at helen647@aol.com. I saved her business card.

Helen