For those who bring a cooler/ice chest onboard, what kind?

happy cruzer

So we have once brought a hard igloo roller ice chest on board packed with water and snorkel gear. We just treated it as a checked piece of luggage. I see where lots of people bring the soft sider chests.

We are thinking of the hard cooler again.

So those that bring the coolers, what are the pros and cons of hard sided vs. soft sided?

We use a cooler not to bring beverages on board but to keep drinks cooler during beach excursions.

We bring a large, flat, beach-bag looking thing. Most of it is filled with beach gear but it does keep beverages cool too, when we place ziploc bags or metal water bottles filled with ice in it.

image-788072.jpeg

We've never taken a large hard sided cooler with us, just a small one that fits in the suitcase. It's big enough to hold 8 - 16 oz bottles of Diet Dr Pepper so those are well protected during loading. It's an easy size for the steward to fill with ice every day. Then we just stuff it with clothes or new purchases when packing on the last night to free up room in the suitcase.

I've only forgotten it once in 40 cruises and we sure missed it.

We have used it as a piece of checked luggage. It is strong and rigid. It will hold a case of water and any breakable/bendable gear the you have. We no longer have any hard sider luggage. It rolls. It makes a good table or seat in a pinch. We hardly ever load it with ice, but we can if needed. Also it's cheap if it gets damaged, but so far it even survived air travel. We are driving to the port this time.

I think I will keep my eye open for an insulated beach bag like amarillos. If I used it to carry lunches in it would remind me of cruising.

Edited by happy cruzer

We haven't brought a cooler on a ship but would use a soft sided collapsible one. We have several of them & they fold up to about a third of it's open size which to me is an advantage when not being used.

Here's a link to an example in the 24 can size & they're available in larger or smaller sizes including some with wheels & a handle.

http://www.target.com/p/embark-24-can-rec-cooler-blue/-/A-12113129#prodSlot=_1_2

Edited by Astro Flyer

EBags dot com has a nice cooler that is soft sided but quite rugged with lots of separated dry compartments. It's called a "crew cooler" and can double as lunch box, camera bag, personal item on airline etc. also a Jr. Model but I got better price on larger one.