Avoiding the Solarium with Kids?

We are booked in a deck 12 stateroom. I am wondering if there is a walkway path around the Solarium area so that those with kids can walk around the area without disturbing adults or will we be expected to walk all the way aft just to go down to the pool deck?

Anyone can go thru the Solarium. Kid's under 16 are not allowed to USE the solarium...either loungers or pool....

Thank you all for the information. As someone who spends 24/7 with a preschooler I know the importance of kid free time, but I was dreading the logistics of trying to avoid the Solarium while trying to enter or exit the pool deck.

Thank you all for the information. As someone who spends 24/7 with a preschooler I know the importance of kid free time, but I was dreading the logistics of trying to avoid the Solarium while trying to enter or exit the pool deck.

Is your little one okay on stairs? If they are, you can just take the stairs that are by the Sky Bar. They will bring you down to deck 11 by the pool bar, thus avoiding the Solarium completely. Otherwise, passing through the Solarium with a little one is just fine.

Is your little one okay on stairs? If they are, you can just take the stairs that are by the Sky Bar. They will bring you down to deck 11 by the pool bar, thus avoiding the Solarium completely. Otherwise, passing through the Solarium with a little one is just fine.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Yes, will be fine with stairs. I never new that those symbols on the decks plans indicated a stairway as I am just used to seeing stairways where there are elevators. That will work nicely as we do try to avoid the adults areas (both for the comfort of adults and because I have seen and heard things in adults areas which are best kept from little eyes & ears).

The ships are not built where one has to enter/exit the pool deck through the solarium

While this is completely true, it can be a very long walk to avoid the Solarium when your room is above it at the very front of the ship.

I do really appreciate Reallyitsmema pointing out where there were stairs that will allow us easy access to and from the our room and the pool deck.

Edited by Woodmnky

I wouldn't have a problem if kids walked through the solarium. A few came in with their parents and walked around quietly and even took some pictures of themselves. I only saw the deck patrol poloitely ask some kids in the pool to leave. I even saw a woman with a sleeping baby in a stroller in the solarium. Don't worry about a pass through the area with your kids. Don't go out of your way to avoid it.

We are booked in a deck 12 stateroom. I am wondering if there is a walkway path around the Solarium area so that those with kids can walk around the area without disturbing adults or will we be expected to walk all the way aft just to go down to the pool deck?

Eyes up, keep walking quickly, don't go out of step, tell kids to be quiet, follow the little ducks in a row procedure, make no eye contact with anyone. You'll be fine..........:p

Just kidding. Cut through. ;)

Interestingly, last month on Independence, I looked but never found any sign or notice that the Solarium was age restricted. I thought I remembered a notice on the door or a sign somewhere on other ships. I could have missed it. There were very few children on our sailing and I didn't see any in the Solarium, so it wasn't an issue. The chair hogs were out in force however.

Don't worry about it, cut through if you need to.

Others have seen signs near the doors to the Solarium, but I have never seen one in ten years. The Solarium pools and Whirlpools have signs restricting usage to those 16 and older. The ship deck plans and descriptions describe the Solarium as an adults only area, but there are exceptions.

I don't think the Freedom does, but many ships have a food venue inside the Solarium, so not every ship is the same.

Enjoy your cruise.