Recent cruisers please tell us about your experience with the auto gratuity

jmele999

To those who have just returned (yesterday or today) from a cruise, please tell us about your experience with the auto gratuity in specialty restaurants. Were there a lot of people complanining onboard about the auto gratuity? What explanations were given onboard?

Thanks.

subscribing - my kids 23 & 17 have the UDP, me and DH do not :rolleyes:

I didn't expect to have give them extra money to dine in the specialties, so I need to hear this too.

There is no autogratuity with the "free" or purchased UDP. The purchase price has gone up to 140 or so and includes the 18% gratuity.

Trying to post an email that I received from

The preconcierge. Jeantte has never given me bad info!

I was always led to believe that the FEE covered the tips....I'm not sure why they started adding 18%! That's a lot on top of the cover charge!

I would skip the specialties altogether! If folks stop using them, they'll stop this nonsense!

I have specialty dining prepaid and booked online for almost every day of our cruise at the end of this month... if I have to pay a tip daily of an average $9, then I won't pay the DSC also. This is a blatant double dip since all servers, waiters, waitresses are already supposed to be included on the DSC. This is ridiculous.

I have specialty dining prepaid and booked online for almost every day of our cruise at the end of this month... if I have to pay a tip daily of an average $9, then I won't pay the DSC also. This is a blatant double dip since all servers, waiters, waitresses are already supposed to be included on the DSC. This is ridiculous.

Reportedly, if you purchased the UDP or prepaid for a reservation prior to the date the 18% was implemented you will not have it added on board. Any purchase made after the date will have it included in the price at the time of purchase.

Edited by punkincc

Reportedly, if you purchased the UDP or prepaid for a reservation prior to the date the 18% was implemented you will not have it added on board. Any purchase made after the date will have it included in the price at the time of purchase.

What is the date that this went into effect? We booked specialty dining 2 weeks ago.

So this will affect me. Not a happy camper right now....:mad:

No, you will not be charged the automatic 18% tip on specialty restaurant reservations you have already paid for. This new charge started on Friday March 20th. If I go into to book a specialty restaurant now, the 18% is added to the cover charge.

There is no autogratuity with the "free" or purchased UDP. The purchase price has gone up to 140 or so and includes the 18% gratuity. info!

The price on the web has increased to $140.42 which is exactly the 18% fee. However, NCL isn't calling it a gratuity:

Q. ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE PURCHASE PRICE?

A. No. If you wish to recognize the crew for their service, you may do so at time of service using the gratuity line on the check. Plus, a beverage gratuity of 15% will automatically be added to all beverage sales.

We are likely to purchase the soda packages and the 15% gratuity shows as being included in the purchase price. I won't be happy if we are charged 15% every time we get a soft drink.

No, you will not be charged the automatic 18% tip on specialty restaurant reservations you have already paid for. This new charge started on Friday March 20th. If I go into to book a specialty restaurant now, the 18% is added to the cover charge.

I would just like to add my voice to the choir that feels this is really in bad taste.

I am trying NCL for the first time after several cruises on RCL and Celebrity and stuff like this will drive me crazy. It really is the principle of it. I think most people probably throw the servers a little extra anyway as I always did in the specialties on other lines but now, I flat out refuse to use any of Norwegian's specialty restaurants because of this demand.

I would just like to add my voice to the choir that feels this is really in bad taste.

I am trying NCL for the first time after several cruises on RCL and Celebrity and stuff like this will drive me crazy. It really is the principle of it. I think most people probably throw the servers a little extra anyway as I always did in the specialties on other lines but now, I flat out refuse to use any of Norwegian's specialty restaurants because of this demand.

I agree. It makes me mad that I booked a year in advance before these UDP and UBP packages were part of the cruise fare. My upcoming May cruise rate is close to what we paid and will likely drop more. So there will be people filling up the specialty restaurants that are not subject to the 18% auto tip, but if I dine there, I will have it added automatically. Seems unfair to me as does the double "tipping" with the newly increased DSC. So, like you, we will not be dining in the specialty restaurants this time.

Edited by herdingdogmom

I agree. It makes me mad that I booked a year in advance before these UDP and UBP packages were part of the cruise fare. My upcoming May cruise rate is close to what we paid and will likely drop more. So there will be people filling up the specialty restaurants that are not subject to the 18% auto tip, but if I dine there, I will have it added automatically. Seems unfair to me as does the double "tipping" with the newly increased DSC. So, like you, we will not be dining in the specialty restaurants this time.

I'm starting to get a tad concerned that I am perhaps setting sail with a line that is run by corporate tool monkeys. If I ruled the world, :p, and this was for whatever reason deemed an absolute financial necessity, I would simply raise the cost of specialty dining to include this 18%, and leave it at that. I know that personally, as someone who usually buys the packages, I do so to be onboard all in from the minute I step foot on the ship--drinks and food paid for in advance. Having to think about carrying balances for tips is a buzzkill of the highest order.

We are likely to purchase the soda packages and the 15% gratuity shows as being included in the purchase price. I won't be happy if we are charged 15% every time we get a soft drink.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the auto tip on the soda package has increased to 18%. If you pay the 18% with the package, you won't be charged an additional auto gratuity every time you get a soft drink.

I'm starting to get a tad concerned that I am perhaps setting sail with a line that is run by corporate tool monkeys. If I ruled the world, :p, and this was for whatever reason deemed an absolute financial necessity, I would simply raise the cost of specialty dining to include this 18%, and leave it at that. I know that personally, as someone who usually buys the packages, I do so to be onboard all in from the minute I step foot on the ship--drinks and food paid for in advance. Having to think about carrying balances for tips is a buzzkill of the highest order.

The price increases are certainly coming from Miami HQ. I feel for the hard working people on the ships. They have no control over these changes and have to hear all the complaints. FWIW, you can purchase the beverage or dining packages a la carte, but both are now charged the 18% auto tip up front.

I was always led to believe that the FEE covered the tips....I'm not sure why they started adding 18%! That's a lot on top of the cover charge!

I would skip the specialties altogether! If folks stop using them, they'll stop this nonsense!

They used to be covered by the DSC.

As much as I hate the added 18% because my understanding has always been, the DSC covers all wait staff, I do not think 18% is that much. I also think the cost of the special dining rooms is reasonable compared to other cruise lines. Most are higher, some a lot higher. This helps me, knowing the 18% might be a rip off, but the cost of speciality dining is a bargain. We will continue to frequent them but I am still a bit ticked off. Actually I wanted to use a word stronger than ticked off, but I don't want to get kicked off the board.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Oh this is funny...3 posters just posted 3 different start dates...march 1...15...20

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

March 1st - increase of OSC to 12.95/14.95 pppd and 18% on booze - publicised by NCL

March 15th - first evidence on these boards of the 18% new gratuity for speciality restaurants

March 20th - NCL's reply to this board giving the start date of the 18% speciality gratuity as 20th March!

As much as I hate the added 18% because my understanding has always been, the DSC covers all wait staff, I do not think 18% is that much. I also think the cost of the special dining rooms is reasonable compared to other cruise lines. Most are higher, some a lot higher. This helps me, knowing the 18% might be a rip off, but the cost of speciality dining is a bargain. We will continue to frequent them but I am still a bit ticked off. Actually I wanted to use a word stronger than ticked off, but I don't want to get kicked off the board.

I don't think that people have an issue with the 18%; what people are voicing is the fact that the current DSC supposedly covers the specialty waitstaff. Not to mention the fact that the DSC was JUST increased.