Video: Building the SS Rotterdam 1956

Boytjie

Thanks for that, some great viewing. Also some other ss Rotterdam film of interest. How fortunate I feel for having sailed on ss Rotterdam (as well as her prewar running mate ss Nieuw Amsterdam) quite a few times. And the wonderful thing is you can still enjoy ss Rotterdam today as a hotel ship in Rotterdam. Don't let a stay in Rotterdam pass without taking in the experience!

The SS Rotterdam was my first HAL voyage in 1974. We have fond memories of the ship, but a few things stand out: the food wasn't very good and the entertainment was of a very limited type, namely electric guitars, drums, amplifiers and screaming singers. There was no string quartet in those days. The clientèle put me off ever taking another Caribbean cruise, although a few years later we did fly to Nassau to board a P&O ship (SS Oriana) for a liner voyage to Britain.

In 2000 we saw the Rotterdam, then called the Rembrandt, in Halifax just a day before it was seized for non-payment of bills. The passengers were disembarked and the ship never again carried paying passengers.

I'm lucky enough to be able to see the Rotterdam as much as I want. Living in Rotterdam does have its advantages ;-)

When you take a cruise out of Rotterdam , you pass this Grand old Lady .

I was , along with thousand other on the banks of the river when she came back. Lot of people had tears in their eyes.

Yes, she was a very special ship... in every way. Clocked up 320 days on board the ship.

Your fortunate sod, Stephen. Loved the main, magical staircase. I Loved losing my husband on it. He never did figure it out. I really liked the reversing sofas in the Smoking Room. Still my favourite ship of all time.

Looking forward to finding the cats in your paintings on the Westerdam soon. Can you give me a hint as to how many to look for? Cheers.:)

Great video, thank you for sharing it. I remember being in Stanley park with my family many years ago and watching her sail away from Vancouver. We all commented on what a beautiful ship she was.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums