Can we do Rome on the "turn" day of a B2B?

budamom

Hi all - we are doing a b2b with Civitaveccia (Rome) being the day that the cruise changes over - not sure exactly what to call that day. It is the last day for our first week, and the first day and embarkation for the second week. We are keeping the same cabin.

We are in port from 5am til 5pm. Is it possible for us to do Rome since we are staying on for the next week of the cruise? What is the process for passengers who are continuing on for a second week? Will we have to go through customs, etc? I've never done a b2b before. Thanks!:confused:

You don't mention the cruise line, so it's difficult to be specific about the procedure you will need to follow. Generally though, it will be just another port stop for you so you can do whatever you wish while the ship is in port.

As for immigration or customs, that will depend on the ports you have visited. If they were all in the EU, it won't be necessary.

As with all B2Bs, you may be issued a new cruise card for your second cruise and, perhaps, an In Transit card. You'll need to bring your old and new cards, the In Transit card, and maybe your passport with you for rebounding. Check during your first cruise whether a photocopy of your passport will suffice...bring the copy if that will work.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

As Lew says, the actual process may vary from line to line, but that information will be clearly communicated to you while onboard ship. Whatever it is, you shouldn't have any problem going to Rome for the day -- just note that it will be a relatively short day. I believe that most lines now require you to be on board early enough to participate in the safety drill -- even on a B2B where you participated during the first leg. You'll need to confirm that, of course.

Have done many B2Bs, including one at Rome. Have never received a new cruise card. So it does vary by cruise line.

As described, it will most likely just be like any other cruise port. You will be able to come and go as you please. When we did our B2B thru Rome, people doing the B2B used the crew gangway so we didn't have to go thru the lies with people just getting onboard. I would plan a day in port just like any other.

The best use of your time for the Rome day would be a private tour. It will allow the greatest flexibility and opportunity to see the most sights. We have used the wonderful Rome in Limo, which has a huge thread of recommendations just down the board.

Edited by CruiserBruce

It's easy. On our cruise (NCL) they had a meeting for B2B on the last sea day and explained how to do it. We just got a sticker that said, 'continuing vacation", no new card. Left the ship at 6am, got shuttle to drop off point, walked to train station, got the 7:19 train to Rome. Did our thing in Rome, a very full day. The only thing I would be sure about is catch the train back to port no later than 2:30!!! Do not even think of coming back later(if you are using the regional train, which we did because we bought the BIRG pass, 12 Euro for train to and from Rome and Rome public transport).

Some people missed the ship because it takes a min of 2 hours to reach port(if all works out). 1 1/2 from Rome, about 1/2 from train to ship. Do not come back later than 2:30. You will exit thur the luggage area and also enter back onto the ship that way. Have fun!!

With a 5pm departure you will probably want to be back on board no later than 4. This means, that I you had no concerns about delays (which do happen in Italy) you would need to be out of rome by 3....and we would recommend leaving Rome by 2. Nothing in Rome opens until 9am and many things are really not open until closer to 10 (i.e. the Vatican Museums do not open until 10am). So at best you would have about 5 hours to spend in Rome which is only enough time to do a few things or even less if you decide to do something more time consuming (like the Vatican).

As to procedures, there will be no Customs/Immigration hassles at the port. Depending on your cruise line there might be slightly different procedures. On a line like HAL they would give you a cruise card that covers the entire 2 weeks and the turn-around day would be treated like a normal port day (for you). On some other lines you would have to go through a procedure to obtain a new cruise card for the 2nd cruise (this is often done a day in advance).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

We did a back to back on the Celebrity Equinox in the Med last year (our turn-around port was Istanbul). The process went very smoothly - they had a meeting for all the b2b people the day before, where they outlined the process. for us to follow the next day. We had to report to a particular venue early the morning of turn-around day and were given our new seapass cards and were then free to go. They offered a shore excursion especially for those who were doing the b2b and we chose to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the responses! I'm booking a tour with Limo in Rome. The ship docks at 5am. Is it reasonable to assume we will be able to meet our guide by 7:30am?

Also - a Celebrity rep told me we would have to be back on board by 3:30 pm because the ship sails at 5pm. Any thoughts? That seems awfully early since we are already checked in.

Thanks for all of the responses! I'm booking a tour with Limo in Rome. The ship docks at 5am. Is it reasonable to assume we will be able to meet our guide by 7:30am?

Also - a Celebrity rep told me we would have to be back on board by 3:30 pm because the ship sails at 5pm. Any thoughts? That seems awfully early since we are already checked in.

The 7:30 tour time is fine. Ships are cleared, in Civitavecchia, very quickly. We are not surprised they want you back at 3:30. 1 1/2 hours prior to departure is not unusual for a embarkation port. And everyone must be aboard prior to the emergency/boat drill which will be held before the ship leaves the port.

Hank