Summit - what is there to do for a parent and child (if you don't like laying out)?

gumbocc1009

I am, admittedly, leery of this ship... there was SO much to do on the prior 2 ships we cruised on... (heck, the last ship had bumper cars and a parachute simulator!!!)

Even on the ships that have those things, I doubt most people spend all day doing them. We did iFly and even with the waiting time, getting suited up, instructions etc. it occupied maybe an hour and a half? And the bumper cars was what.. 3 or 4 min? So..... when you and your child weren't doing things like iFly and bumper cars, what did you do on THAT cruise to occupy your/her time? If you list the things you spent the majority of time doing, folks here can give you a better idea of whether or not you can find the same on the Summit. :)

We haven't been on Celebrity yet, but have sailed on DCL and Princess. My youngest, now 15, has always loved the clubs and can't wait to meet new people on our Baltic cruise this summer. My older daughter, however, almsot 18 now, has never liked the clubs. She went once on DCL when I told her she just had to try it and if she didn't like it, she didn't have to go again. So, I feel your pain. My daughter didn't want to go to the family pool and was too young for the adult pool. She wanted to hang out with us.

We went to some of the daytime games. She and her sister played ping pong. There were movies during the day. People watching. A little shopping, of course.

When we were on the Alaska Princess cruise, not too many kids, but the girls enjoyed board games and puzzles in the card room.

Hopefully, your parents want some time with your child, so you can have some time to yourself.

JoAnn

Even on the ships that have those things, I doubt most people spend all day doing them. We did iFly and even with the waiting time, getting suited up, instructions etc. it occupied maybe an hour and a half? And the bumper cars was what.. 3 or 4 min? So..... when you and your child weren't doing things like iFly and bumper cars, what did you do on THAT cruise to occupy your/her time? If you list the things you spent the majority of time doing, folks here can give you a better idea of whether or not you can find the same on the Summit. :)

Well, you are right, there was certainly less for us to do on the Quantum than there was for us to do on the Disney ship, but on the Quantum we did:

• roller skating a few times,
  • rock climbing a few times,
  • bumper cars twice,
  • iFly once,
  • we watched the surfing a number of times,
  • went to see mini "shows" in the 270 Lounge,
  • hit the pool just once (we're not big on pools unless my child has friends to play with),
  • air hockey a couple times,
  • went on the North Star a couple times,
  • hit the arcade once, and
  • went to a character "parade."

The daily activities listing on RCL seemed "light" on family friendly activities, unlike Disney, so we definitely had more time on our hands on RCL than DCL... when we had open time (and DD could strong-arm the Grandparents) we played board games to fill time (and I also let her watch some TV - they showed all the DreamWorks movies)...

Share doing a jig saw puzzle, she could make a journal/scrapbook about the cruise....plot the course, they have a map posted with the course some place and also on the TV , look for constellations at night, movies offered on tv, gelato and snacks, backstage tour, bring your own books...and electronics

I think there is a arcade.

They also set up a area in one of the lounges with some video game like Play Station for bowling.

Wouldn't count on the Ping Pong Tables as many adults take over.

They do show movies during the day but they are hard to follow because of the quality and constant disruption of people walking in, playing games in their devices, talking and etc.

As others have posted most is set up for adults because the children usually participate in the youth program. Never heard anything negative about their program and most love it.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Well, you are right, there was certainly less for us to do on the Quantum than there was for us to do on the Disney ship, but on the Quantum we did:

• roller skating a few times,
  • rock climbing a few times,
  • bumper cars twice,
  • iFly once,
  • we watched the surfing a number of times,
  • went to see mini "shows" in the 270 Lounge,
  • hit the pool just once (we're not big on pools unless my child has friends to play with),
  • air hockey a couple times,
  • went on the North Star a couple times,
  • hit the arcade once, and
  • went to a character "parade."

The daily activities listing on RCL seemed "light" on family friendly activities, unlike Disney, so we definitely had more time on our hands on RCL than DCL... when we had open time (and DD could strong-arm the Grandparents) we played board games to fill time (and I also let her watch some TV - they showed all the DreamWorks movies)...

You probably DID spend more time doing the "fun" stuff than the average person, if you did things like skating and rock climbing more than once. Celebrity will not have any of that sort of thing so you will be more limited to games, movies and the like. Best advice is to check the cruise schedule each day (you'll get it the night before) to see what else is going on. You will likely find things like cake decorating demonstrations, trivia contests and some things like that which may help fill some time.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised- here is my update. Just off last week. My son also is not a kids club type but he did decide to go for an hour here or there and enjoyed himself. He also enjoyed going to the shows (the magic show was good for kids), he also likes the quiz shows. There was family bingo and other family events listed (I think dancing). We also enjoyed the many live music options on the Summit. With few children- it was peaceful and waiter and cabin stewards were very accommodating. We really enjoyed the cruise and booked another Celebrity cruise for next year. We did do Disney and NCL before- the service and experience on Celebrity far exceeded our previous cruising experiences and I can't imagine booking any other cruise again. Hope this helps. We were on a very port intensive cruise and did sign up for excursions on every port- so the relaxation aboard the ship was very nice for us!