Longer sailings and children

JinxyB

Obviously Celebrity think very differently than you both as this was the title page of a recent email I received:

image.jpg1_zpsibacnfu7.jpg

Appears that 'dragging' is optional :rolleyes:.

I never said that Celebrity did not want kids on board, as a corporation they should take anyone's money. I'm saying I don't think Celebrity is the most appropriate line for children, especially young children. I stand by my belief that children, including those in the advertisement would have a better experience on a ship with more programming for their age group (i.e. Carnival, Royal Caribbean, or Disney). It is for the parents benefit when they bring children to an environment like a Celebrity cruise. In the end anyone with a ticket can board the ship, and I can just hope for the smallest number of young children on my sailing.

Fact 1: X doesn't care if there are kids on board as they cater for them with their kids club and it helps get some of the family demographic buying their product.

Fact 2: Parents will bring their kids knowing that it is not carnival or RCI or Disney and the limitations that X has compared to other lines in regards to entertaining them.

Fact 3: Some kids are a pain and are mis-behaved, some are not.

Fact 4: No one, not even the parents, want a crying babies or mis behaved children in the dining rooms.

Fact 5: most passengers have no say or control over any of the preceding facts.

Only the parents of the children can ensure the enjoyment of the other passengers is not ruined by either not taking their kids cruising, if they do then making sure they are entertained and supervised sufficiently outside of the kids club, and controlling the behaviour of the children at all times.

I agree that X does not care who is on board. Those of us who want to maintain an adult atmosphere need to be vigilant that we get that. If you see misbehavior and parental inattention, please report it. Yes the reports may go unnoticed, but enough complaints will get noticed, especially if it hurts the bottom line. When a crying child keeps you up at night, when a baby or toddler spoils your dinner, please ask for compensation. Yes this will infuriate some here but it is good advice that I got from someone. When legitimate issues are raised, Celebrity has and will compensate and when they do that, the issue will get noticed.

There is no surprise that when a disruptive child was removed from the dining room, there was clapping. It is a dining room, not a buffet. Even buffet, patrons want to have a peaceful meal.

I have never understood why a baby or toddler are on a cruise, other than parents convenience but even then what convenience? It is a nightmare not a convenience to have a baby or toddler whose home routine has been disrupted. What happened to couples holidays? Maybe more attention needs to be paid to that considering the state many marriages are in but that is a whole other issue.

Please remember that this is a public forum. Many differing opinions. None are directed at anyone specifically, nor should they be directed towards me or the others who feel as I do.

Edited by norwegianwood57

I agree that X does not care who is on board. Those of us who want to maintain an adult atmosphere need to be vigilant that we get that. If you see misbehavior and parental inattention, please report it. Yes the reports may go unnoticed, but enough complaints will get noticed, especially if it hurts the bottom line. When a crying child keeps you up at night, when a baby or toddler spoils your dinner, please ask for compensation. Yes this will infuriate some here but it is good advice that I got from someone. When legitimate issues are raised, Celebrity has and will compensate and when they do that, the issue will get noticed.

There is no surprise that when a disruptive child was removed from the dining room, there was clapping. It is a dining room, not a buffet. Even buffet, patrons want to have a peaceful meal.

I have never understood why a baby or toddler are on a cruise, other than parents convenience but even then what convenience? It is a nightmare not a convenience to have a baby or toddler whose home routine has been disrupted. What happened to couples holidays? Maybe more attention needs to be paid to that considering the state many marriages are in but that is a whole other issue.

I fervently hope that families who love to cruise and either love Celebrity, or want to try Celebrity, discount the negative attitudes expressed towards children by some posters here.

And if your child is having a tough night - as we all do from time to time - and you see a little grey haired old lady sending sympathetic glances your way ... that might be me. We're not all cast of the same cloth, regardless of whether we're children or adults. Don't judge us all by the opinions of a few.

...I have never understood why a baby or toddler are on a cruise, other than parents convenience but even then what convenience? It is a nightmare not a convenience to have a baby or toddler whose home routine has been disrupted. What happened to couples holidays? Maybe more attention needs to be paid to that considering the state many marriages are in but that is a whole other issue....

It's clear that you don't understand and are among a group of people who do not understand this. But it is equally clear that others do understand why families with young children want to travel together. The Celebrity Cruise Line is among those that does understand and fully supports families as evidenced by the point that they design their ships to accommodate and attract families with young children and advertise to that market segment.

Once consideration for those who would like to avoid children is to consider Aqua Class cabins. Because Aqua Class does not have staterooms for more than two guests there is a lower chance of children being guests on that floor - although still a possibility. Likewise, because of this there is a decreased likelihood that there will be as many children in the Blu dining room as their is in the main dining room.

Edited by Lsimon

Again the choice is to say that I dont understand, that those who want an adult experience, dont understand. Again it is to personalize.

It is much easier to personalize and say, that there is no understanding, then it is to agree that there are those of us who want adult only cruise situations. We look for longer cruises and school times to do that.

It is when someone posts that they are now going to take a toddler on those longer cruises and ask if there would be issues with those who are purposely travelling at that time to avoid children, that a response like mine may come forth.

I am staying on topic.

I will never forget how on our Mediterranean cruises there are always parents who have their small children in strollers and there they are over all those cobblestones. The kids , exhausted, bum-pity, bump, bump.

Shame on parents who drag their kids on cruises to make it convenient for themselves.

If it was up to my daughter, she would drag me onto a cruise every month. I could only have wished the my parents had "dragged" me to Rome, Venice and Santorini instead of doing a long car trip to the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore.

Edited by parallax

I must admit I am a member of the camp that does not understand why parents would want to bring children on a line like Celebrity, when there are other more family friendly lines available. I say this because I think having children on a boat with few of their peers and very limited activities for them is a breeding ground for discontent, crankiness and dissatisfaction. Under these circumstances you are going to have episodes of bad behavior that is disruptive to other passengers. It has also been my experience that people always overestimate the quality of their own children's behavior and will often "loosely" interpret rules regarding where children are allowed. I understand the ideas of families traveling together and seeing the world, but why not take children on a line with pools, water parks, rock climbing, characters, and most importantly, other children to entertain them. I know my opinion maybe unpopular, but I've never experienced positive outcomes when children are brought into adult environments.

This is the common missive of people who don't want kids on Celebrity. The problem is that there a ton of evidence that kids like Celebrity product. Read the reviews and comments of parents and grandparents who have brought kids on board. It doesn't matter if there are 10 kids on board or 200, they will have a good time. As evidenced by this discussion, it seems like the kids are better able to adapt to situations than many of the posters.

Edited by parallax

Today's world is different from the one when we were raising kids.

I was a stay-at-home mom (one income family) and if we wanted to take a vacation, just the 2 of us, we had to hire someone to look after the kids. So we didn't travel very far until the children went to sleep-away camp.

These days, Moms work and some are excellent earners.

I don't blame them for wanting to spend their vacations with their children. If they want to travel to Europe, for example, the whole family goes.

As for the cruiseline, it's their personal choice. My kids went on the Allure this year and the whole family loved it (kids 3 and 1 1/2). They probably wouldn't find Celebrity as exciting. But that was the Caribbean.

One night in the MDR, the little one acted up and she was wisked away to the baby-sitting. As soon as she saw the play area, she was all smiles.

The 3 year old knew what floor the activities and restaurants were on. In the elevator, if an adult chose a particular floor, he would tell them where they were going! Don't tell me some of you would be annoyed at that?????

On our Baltic Celebrity cruise this summer, we met a few families with 3 year olds. Their kids loved the daycamp. Didn't want to leave.

There is something for everyone.

Those who don't want to see any children, should take adult-only vacations.

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

It's clear that you don't understand and are among a group of people who do not understand this. But it is equally clear that others do understand why families with young children want to travel together. The Celebrity Cruise Line is among those that does understand and fully supports families as evidenced by the point that they design their ships to accommodate and attract families with young children and advertise to that market segment.

Once consideration for those who would like to avoid children is to consider Aqua Class cabins. Because Aqua Class does not have staterooms for more than two guests there is a lower chance of children being guests on that floor - although still a possibility. Likewise, because of this there is a decreased likelihood that there will be as many children in the Blu dining room as their is in the main dining room.

As usual, Larry, you are the voice of reason, in the wilderness. ;)

We don't travel with children, and we ultimately left RC because it was becoming more and more family-oriented. I just didn't want to pay for things that were of no use to me: like Shrek, the Barbie experience, and Flow-riders. And, while we were seeking a more refined, adult experience on X, we also realized that lots of families like the brand, as well.

So, we agonized over booking our Eclipse Holiday Cruise, last year. We knew there would be a lot of kids, even though it was a two-week cruise. But, we took a page from Larry's book, and made a conscious decision to stick to the "adult" venues on the ship -- e.g.: the Solarium, with its Aqua Spa Cafe, the Molecular Bar, etc. We consistently requested smaller tables in Select Dining, and generally avoided areas where large family groups tended to congregate. We were very pleasantly surprised. Most of the children we saw onboard were well-dressed, well-behaved, and well-supervised. And yes, there was one group that was occasionally seen tearing around the ship, pushing elevator buttons, etc -- but, they were in the distinct minority. We had a fabulous cruise -- and, I'm SO glad that we didn't talk ourselves out of going! :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

Travelled with my 9 month old on HAL 4 years ago, read the same horror stories you read here, but on board was a different story entirely - lots of smiles, hugs, people wanting to chat us up and play. We had late seating for dinner and my 9 month old would sleep on my shoulder, in my lap, or we'd take dinner in the cabin. For excursions, just set reasonable expectations. We did less than my wife and I would have preferred.

I'm taking my 5 year old to Europe for a cruise in 6 weeks. I couldn't imagine going without her. I don't intend to let her disturb anyone, just like at home. She won't be running around yelling, or punching elevator buttons. She will be in the pool, and she'll probably do some splashing. This is not our first rodeo and we steer clear of people who don't want to be splashed. However, anyone who is disturbed by her very presence can take it up with management. When they change their tagline to "the adults only cruiseline", I will sail elsewhere.

Having traveled both with kids and without, I don't understand the argument that it is more convenient to travel with them. It's more convenient for me to drag them somewhere? I have found the opposite to be true.

We are taking the kids on a Baltic cruise this summer. We would probably have a more relaxing time without them. But it's our job to parent them, teach them, and grow them into good adults... and to make sure that if they inconvenience anyone, it is only us.

This is the common missive of people who don't want kids on Celebrity. The problem is that there a ton of evidence that kids like Celebrity product. Read the reviews and comments of parents and grandparents who have brought kids on board. It doesn't matter if there are 10 kids on board or 200, they will have a good time. As evidenced by this discussion, it seems like the kids are better able to adapt to situations than many of the posters.

Tons of evidence that kids like Celebrity, I think evidence is being used very loosely in your statement. It is the opinion of the parents and grandparents posting that the kids had a good time, not reviews written by the kids themselves. Again, I will stand by my statement that other cruise lines are better suited for young children. As for the kids having a good time on-board, why bring your kids on a cruise to do the same arts and crafts projects they can do at a day camp at home? What kids want to dress up for dinner and eat fancy foods in the MDR? Maybe I only know children from a lesser pedigree but they always prefer bells and whistles like water parks and theme shows and prefer foods like chicken nuggets and french fries, things that Celebrity is not known for. Bringing kids is solely for the convenience and benefit of parents.

Edited by boatlover19
mistakes in typing

I find it disappointing that in this day and age, some people think the only way we can amuse children is with climbing walls, flow riders and other 'big' things.

What happened to children using their imagination? I loved the comment from the grandma whose grand daughter likes watching the sun rise with her grand father. That's what family time is about.

I'm sorry but no one can say 'children would prefer RC' every child, parent and family is different and does what works for them.

I've cruised an adults only ship and it was awful! Mobility scooters and horrible, moaning folk everywhere. Give me well behaved children any day.

Edited by Cooso

Boatlover: I've edited your statement to address four points you mentioned:

1. ...It is the opinion of the parents and grandparents posting that the kids had a good time, not reviews written by the kids themselves.
  2. ....why bring your kids on a cruise to do the same arts and crafts projects they can do at a day camp at home...
  3. ...What kids want to dress up for dinner and eat fancy foods in the MDR?
  4. ...prefer foods like chicken nuggets and french fries, things that Celebrity is not known for.

I'll address these based on by knowledge and experience from cruising with our friends who have a young child who has been cruising Celebrity since they were one year old, now going on seven:

1. Unfortunately writing a review is a bit beyond the writing ability of the six year old and in any event this is below the minimum age to register on Cruise Critic. But I know how excited the child is about every cruise they go on and that even though they've cruised lines which you'd consider more kid friendly, Celebrity is by far the child's favorite.

2. For the same reason adults take a cruise instead of going to the local pub, having dinner at home or a restaurant down the street, or just lounging on their sofa, back yard or a neighborhood pool.

3. Our friend's child absolutely loves getting dressed up for formal night. They are extremely proud of how they look in their formal clothing as I've seen many other children. Of course not all children enjoy this but if you look at any of the long dress code threads here on cruise critic you'll know that many adults cruising Celebrity abhor the idea of getting dressed up.

4. In addition to offering the opportunity to try lots of new "adult food" Celebrity had great children's menus and I can attest to the fact that their Chicken Nuggets and French fries are outstanding. Another adult friend who cruises with us even ordered them one night after "tasting" the kid's dinner on a prior night (or at least talked seriously of considering it). You should give them a try before you dismiss them if you like that type of food. I assure you that your dining room waiter would be more than happy to bring you the kid's menu so you can try them yourself.

Edited by Lsimon

Tons of evidence that kids like Celebrity, I think evidence is being used very loosely in your statement. It is the opinion of the parents and grandparents posting that the kids had a good time, not reviews written by the kids themselves. Again, I will stand by my statement that other cruise lines are better suited for young children. As for the kids having a good time on-board, why bring your kids on a cruise to do the same arts and crafts projects they can do at a day camp at home? What kids want to dress up for dinner and eat fancy foods in the MDR? Maybe I only know children from a lesser pedigree but they always prefer bells and whistles like water parks and theme shows and prefer foods like chicken nuggets and french fries, things that Celebrity is not known for. Bringing kids is solely for the convenience and benefit of parents.

Unless kids have the acting ability of Laurence Oliver, I think it is pretty safe to say parents can tell whether their kids are enjoying themselves on the cruise. With your logic, me stating that my dog had a great time at the park can't be proven because she didn't write the statement.

The MDR is not Le Bernardin or the French Laundry. Lets not make it out as something it isn't. It is a step up from banquet food.

Broad sweeping generalizations is a common tactic when it comes to this topic. All kids must like water slides and fried foods to be happy. So do all people over 60 eat dinner before 6:00? Of course not, but that is the logic of your statement.

I can tell you exactly why some take a baby or toddler on a cruise - it is a Mom vacation! Mom doesn't have to cook, clean, etc. All Mom needs to do is focus on the little one(s) and have a good time!

A friend brought her 6-month old on a cruise with us a couple of years ago. It was a great relief to them, because they could focus their time on the little one. They got to leave the cooking and cleaning to the staff, ate when they felt like it, and played with their little one.

They ate a few meals with us in the MDR, trying to time it so the little one would eat, then sleep, during dinner. A couple of times, they had dinner in the buffet area, a couple of times they had room service.

As for a couples holiday, I've known very few couples with young children that are able to take a cruise without taking the kids. When my children were young, my parents were still working. They couldn't take off to stay with my kids while I took a vacation! If the parents are older, they do they have the energy to look after young children? It is a catch-22!

Besides, day camp is offered for ages 3 and up. It is offered every sailing. Why not use it! For under 3, honestly, they enjoy just being with Mom and Dad!

They are not only "technically" allowed, but are welcomed and marketed to by Celebrity!! They have a talented caring staff, wonderful child friendly spaces, babysitting offered in the Fun Factory and in staterooms. Lots of cool stuff for the young ones to do and keep occupied.

Fun Factory for ages 3-11

Activities, arranged by age group, are available 9AM-10PM every day. Kids can participate in exciting games, sports, crafts, music, karaoke, treasure hunts, theme parties, movies and more

But unlike RCI and Carnival ect they don't have that much for old teens/young adults who like the Flowrider, Rock Climbing Wall etc. Thank gosh lol

You cannot make Celebrity into an adults only ship:confused: There are ships out there that are and might suit you better though.

(although children are technically allowed).

No technicality about it - FACT: they are allowed and welcomed by Celebrity ;).

There are many adult only cruises for those passengers that do not wish to associate with children on their vacation. However, I'm unsure how they would avoid all children at the different ports of call, especially in mainland Europe where the family unit is ranked very highly :confused:.

Just to be clear what I am hearing from the no children on Celebrity Camp:

rolling your eyes at people with children as stated in a previous comment and clapping at people taking children out of restaurants = Ok and acceptable to you

Going on a public cruise for everyone or buying a certain type of car when you are over a certain age= Not OK to you ( what about women- am I allowed to buy whatever car I want no matter my age?)

Kids liking Celebrity instead if RCCL or Disney= cause for worry

Parents bringing their kids on Celebrity = selfish parents dragging their kids places (and saying something as rude as people are "dragging their kid" also appears to be acceptable behavior to you)

There is something wrong with parents wanting "convenience" on vacations for mothers- mother or not I never met anyone who wanted to go on an inconvenient vacation...

😳

Edited by SuzanneA

I think it is obvious, that some think that X is just for adults and others (me included ) think it isn't and caters for children appropriately. I believe we have reached a stalemate and therefore suggest that the people who want adult only cruises do the following.

Only look at booking the longer itineraries where children are rarer and then wait until final payment and have X confirm exactly how many children will be on board. What the names, ages, cabins and dining selections are so that they can make a informed decision whether to continue with their cruise. :rolleyes:

Edited by MicCanberra

I think it is obvious, that some think that X is just for adults and others (me included ) think it isn't and caters for children appropriately. I believe we have reached a stalemate and therefore suggest that the people who want adult only cruises do the following.

Only look at booking the longer itineraries where children are rarer and then wait until final payment and have X confirm exactly how many children will be on board. What the names, ages, cabins and dining selections are so that they can make a informed decision whether to continue with their cruise. :rolleyes:

... Or book an adults-only vacation or cruise!