Canadian vs. U.S. Prices

Vict0riann

My DSIL and her hubby are booked on the June 10 sailing of the Volendam to Alaska. We have been thinking of joining them, last minute, if we can. Looking at prices now, we are hoping they will go down. An inside is Canadian$997.35 + $271.78 port fees (Total - C$1,269.13). That would be US$797.93 + $217.44 (Total US$1,015.37). We're going on a cruise next month, and we will check with the Future Cruise Consultant when we are on board, but I'm just wondering if we will do better booking in Canadian funds anyway, rather than US, which is probably what we would be charged on the ship.

If some good-hearted American out there would mind checking HAL for their US prices now, so I can compare, I would be very grateful! :)

Edited by Vict0riann

You could get an idea of the US pricing from that fishy site, if you catch my drift. I do that sometimes to check the exchange rate.

Based on my experience with the pricing over the past year, I think you're better off to go with the Canadian pricing.

Also, don't forget that it may be in your best interest to purchase an FCD on your upcoming cruise and then book the Alaska cruise after you come back (assuming you have enough time) because you should get that Welcome Back ZPM promo which will double your OBC for the Alaska cruise. (Long, probably not gramatically correct, sentence but hopefully you understand what I mean.)

Yes, thanks Alberta! We do plan to buy FCD's on board, but they couldn't apply to a cruise as close as two months away, I don't think? Sometimes when you book on board the FCC will give you some OBC, though, so would have to check that out.

I'll try the fishy site!:D

PS Do they use Canadian or US dollars? I always figured all these sites know exactly where you are? If it's US, then the Canadian prices are much better, also I guess they add in the port fees?

Edited by Vict0riann

When you fish, it's always in US$.

We booked our next cruise the beginning of January in CAD$ and within a couple of weeks HAL changed their exchange rate in favour of the US$.

It's still quite good compared to the money market.

And I think you can use the FCD as soon as you get home and ask for the ZPM/ZPN promo at the same time.

Edited by OVgirl

Not HAL, but it gives you an idea:

Inside -- USD 949 + 236 = 1185

Outside -- USD 1149 + 236 =1385

A PCC will tell you the pricing in both CND and USD. A HAL reservation agent should be able to do the same, as should the onboard FFC.

I, too, hope the pricing comes down. There are terrible prices for Alaska so far!!

I have purchased a FCD for my parents when I was sailing. I e-mailed them the number. They used it to book a cruise with their agent before my cruise was even completed.

So - they can be used "Immediately" and for a cruise that leaves the next month if you like, which is what my parents did.

Oh - and they had a wonderful time for 28 days on the Statendam when they did this!

I have purchased a FCD for my parents when I was sailing. I e-mailed them the number. They used it to book a cruise with their agent before my cruise was even completed.

So - they can be used "Immediately" and for a cruise that leaves the next month if you like, which is what my parents did.

Oh - and they had a wonderful time for 28 days on the Statendam when they did this!

Be sure to tell them to apply Promo code ZPM for OBC. Its the Welcome BAck promo, you can ask for it even without the email.

Not HAL, but it gives you an idea:

Inside -- USD 949 + 236 = 1185

Outside -- USD 1149 + 236 =1385

A PCC will tell you the pricing in both CND and USD. A HAL reservation agent should be able to do the same, as should the onboard FFC.

I, too, hope the pricing comes down. There are terrible prices for Alaska so far!!

Thanks, SilvertoGold, that's what I was looking for. :) On the fishy site it said 949, but I didn't know if it included the port fees; I guess it didn't!

I wonder why the fees are even higher for Americans than Canadians?

Edited by Vict0riann

If you are using a TA, they can also give you the US$ prices.

You can still certainly apply FCD's 2 months out.

Actually, it could be closer to 1 month, couldn't it, depending on when on the cruise I might do it. Within final payment, anyway. We'd probably pay the whole thing, and save the FCD's for another cruise..:)

Actually, it could be closer to 1 month, couldn't it, depending on when on the cruise I might do it. Within final payment, anyway. We'd probably pay the whole thing, and save the FCD's for another cruise..:)

I agree with Kazu that you could use the FCD anytime you book a cruise. Of course, you can use it for another cruise; it would depend on if you want the OBC or not on the Alaska cruise.

Just buy more FCDs when you are on your cruise and benefit from the OBC for the Alaska cruise.

Go to the top of this page. Click on deals. Choose June 2015 Alaska and it will bring up some U.S. prices. Booked Statendam last November. Was charged 109% . Last I checked it was up to 115%. Port charges have also rose both Cdn. & U.S. I check U.S. sites daily for price drops because I can't find a Cdn. site where I can see prices for all catagories. Seems they like to keep us in the dark. Must compare apples with apples.

You can also Google ship and sailing date. Enter. Go down list & look for travel site other than Hal.

Go to the top of this page. Click on deals. Choose June 2015 Alaska and it will bring up some U.S. prices. Booked Statendam last November. Was charged 109% . Last I checked it was up to 115%. Port charges have also rose both Cdn. & U.S. I check U.S. sites daily for price drops because I can't find a Cdn. site where I can see prices for all catagories. Seems they like to keep us in the dark. Must compare apples with apples.

You can also Google ship and sailing date. Enter. Go down list & look for travel site other than Hal.

bunnyrab, see my post#16 and try to find the fishy site. It is a Canadian site but it will give you pricing, in USD, for HAL for all categories. It will also send you alerts for a small fee.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

We book after final payment (have to "pay the whole thing") but always minus our FCD. As has been noted, just buy some more FCD/FCC onboard!

Edited by SilvertoGold

And I get emails from CC with "Price drops". However those sites don't add in the port fees.

So, all in all, converting the present price for an "N" as an example, per SilvertoGold, and the prices I find here in Canadian, the US total is $1,185, which converts to to C$1,481, quite a lot more than the price here in Canada in Canadian dollars, which is C$1,269.13. Go, Canada! (Go down, that is..:D)

We book after final payment (have to "pay the whole thing") but always minus our FCD. As has been noted, just buy some more FCD/FCC onboard!

I didn't realize you could do that, I thought it was just to use as a "down payment". Do you do it purely for the extra OBC?

I didn't realize you could do that, I thought it was just to use as a "down payment". Do you do it purely for the extra OBC?

I am glad I pointed out that you can use your FCD for bookings after Final payment!

Yes, we buy the FCD/FCC purely for the OBC!