Ladies opinions on Oasis hairdryers

I am traveling with my husband and three high school boys on my upcoming cruise..so no one really cares about this question but me...I want to know if the hairdryers on Oasis are decent enough strength to blow dry my hair

(medium length) without it taking forever or should I plan to bring my own...are they located in the desk area or in the bathroom area..portable or attached...I have had all sorts of hairdryers on past cruises from really good ones..to ones that were awful, weak and looked like a vacuum hose... hoping since this is a newly refurbished ship they will be decent...thanks in advance

I am also curious about this, as I have extremely thick horse hair that's several inches below my shoulders in length. I'd love to not be able to bring my hair dryer, but if the on board ones are weak or don't work well, I don't want to be miserable unruly hair for a week either.

Sorry, not a direct answer to the question, but I travel a lot for work and I have found that Amika travel dryers are terrific. They are small, but really powerful. It doesn't take any longer to do my hair than with my "big" dryer at home. I like to be able to sit at a table to dry my hair and a lot of hotel dryers can't be moved, so I always just toss it in my bag, even for overnight trips -- it's that small.

Mine is 1,000 watts and came with a nice zippered bag that's about 8x6x2.5", which holds the dryer, a concentrator and a small diffuser, my full-sized wet brush and several styling products -- basically, all my hair stuff. The dryer itself is pretty light.

FWIW, the dryer I got was just a dryer. There are some sets that also come with a straightener/curling iron. I haven't tried those.

The hair dryers on oasis are very small and not very powerful. It took me a long time to dry my mid length thick coarse hair, but the dryer did the job. There are two settings....cool and warm! They are stored in the desk drawer and you plug it in the outlet on the desk so at least you can blow dry in comfort and not in the small bath! I say if you have room in your suitcase, bring your own, but if not, then it just takes a little longer to dry and style!

Edited by shoppgirl

We were just on Oasis in 9705 and the dryer was in the desk drawer and wasn't hardwired into the wall. I had to pull it out to plug it in.

As for good/bad quality, I have very fine shoulder length hair, although a reasonable amount of it, and it dried mine fine in a minimal amount of time. So it worked fine for me. I have certainly used far worse blow dryers in hotels before.

Edited by Imalinata

The hair dryers on oasis are very small and not very powerful. It took me a long time to dry my mid length thick coarse hair, but the dryer did the job. There are two settings....cool and warm! They are stored in the desk drawer and you plug it in the outlet on the desk so at least you can blow dry in comfort and not in the small bath! I say if you have room in your suitcase, bring your own, but if not, then it just takes a little longer to dry and style!

This is good if they are not attached to the bathroom. At least one can dry while the next person showers.

Is there a mirror by the desk? (And I'm assuming that Allure is the same as Oasis)

OP - I have the exact same question/concerns as you. ;)

I always bring my full sized hair dryer... I know it works for me. The ship's (and hotel's) dryers do NOT do the job for me. Mine is 1800 watts....and blows pretty hard, which is what "blow drying" is all about!

I am traveling with my husband and three high school boys on my upcoming cruise..so no one really cares about this question but me...I want to know if the hairdryers on Oasis are decent enough strength to blow dry my hair

(medium length) without it taking forever or should I plan to bring my own...are they located in the desk area or in the bathroom area..portable or attached...I have had all sorts of hairdryers on past cruises from really good ones..to ones that were awful, weak and looked like a vacuum hose... hoping since this is a newly refurbished ship they will be decent...thanks in advance

I sailed on the Oasis 3/7 - 3/14. WONDERFUL CRUISE.

This was my time ever, not bringing my own hairdryer on vacation. Thought I would save room in my suitcase... So wished I had brought it! My hair is very thick, course, medium length. Hairdryer provided wasn't powerful enough. Also, there is no "on/off" switch, instead you have to keep the button pressed to power the hairdryer. Enjoy your cruise!

Yes, I appreciated being able to dry my hair in the main room in front of the desk mirror, but the part I hated most was holding down the ON button! My finger/hand got tired after a while because you are constantly applying pressure on the small button!!

DW tried it one night and that was the one and only time. Luckily she brought her own. Thanks for the tip on the travel blow dryer I will pass it along to her. We had an OS and it was in the drawer along the right side of the mirror. They will not plug in at the bathroom socket.

I have long hair (half way down my back) and it is also rather thick. I've used the hair dryers on the ships for years, yes they can take longer than your normal hair dryer and sometimes holding the button down can be frustrating at times but I'd still rather use that and have extra space for shoes! :-) I can still shower/wash and dry hair and be ready for formal night in 30/40mins.

Whatever you decide have a great cruise!!

A person on our last roll call said that they take a heavy rubber band and use it to hold down the button.

Last week we took our own hair travel drier, on Allure, for the first time and it was well worth it. It was a small one with a retractable cord from Walmart for around $15. DW loved using it and complained on embarkation day after using the ship's hair drier. Our drier cut her time in half.