Caribbean Princess

smeck

It is sad that the negative reviews are continuing. The only time we've ever felt compelled to write to Customer Relations following a cruise was last June after sailing on the CB. We were in a Vista Suite and we paid for it too, it wasn't an upgrade. The person that I spoke to in Customer Relations said that the CB problems were the #1 issues discussed during their meetings with management. I thought that they were getting on top of those problems based on some of the positive reviews I've read since then. But given the continuing reports of gross smells, plumbing issues, and reports of indifference of the crew when problems are reported, I think we will continue to sail on other Princess ships until they can get things squared away on the CB.

I wish I could twitch my nose and all the CB problems would go away. It's a shame that she's apparently aging the way she's been reported.

We must have been totally oblivious to many of the bad things because our cruise was fine. Or, I should say that we didn't encounter anything similar to the conditions noted.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you will go back (come back?) to the Caribbean Princess at a later time. Happy Cruising. :)

Lynne

Just came back from a week on the CB. Aft on Caribe deck, nice stateroom and the balcony was excellent.

I have asthma and was worried about the moldy smell. Didn't experience it at all. A few of the ladies rooms had sinks or toilets out of order, but that was it. But wow, those showers are tiny.

The bed was comfortable and roomy. I slept well, except for one night when something in the ceiling thumped and rattled. Sea was a bit rougher that night, I put in my earplugs and was not bothered after that. Hubby and I both have arthritis, and the bed was fine. Hint: ginger is an anti-inflammatory and may help with minor joint pain as well as with motion sickness.

I did see some sad chair cushions. The horror.

My butter in the Coral Dining Room was perfect.

The head waiter would show us the menu for the next evening and take a pre-order because we have a funky food sensitivity. The junior waiters tried, and one was better than the other, but Simon saved our dinners. Funny story: on lobster night we ended up with four dinners. I ordered lobster, hubby the Beef Wellington. They brought us two plates of lobster, then the beef; I mentioned the pumpkin wraps sounded interesting, I got those too. We didn't mind one bit.

Now I am hungry! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, it is upsetting to read all of this, considering I just booked a TA and British Isles for 30 days April 2016 :(( The itinerary was fabulous and we have a suite Aft on Caribe deck. A lot of $$ for a ship not up to par. :(

We just booked this sailing for the 18 day part from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton. I am getting a little nervous too!:confused:

if you don't like bad plumbing leaks then don't cruise on Cunard's QM2. Way worse for that than CB. And worse food and service unless you pay for the Grills, I cruised plenty on both lines and all I can say is give me Princess anytime. Nicer, friendlier, better value, more fun.

I have never noticed any kind of leaks on QM2 and I think the food was ok, but I also think Princess' food is just ok as well. I happen to think the QM2 is a beautiful ship and in good condition, at least it was about 2 years ago, which was the last time we sailed on it.

I also thought it was a good value, but I agree, that Princess seems to be friendlier. We met some lovely people on QM2, but some of the crew was a bit stuffy at several of the bars/pub.

FYI

Just got off the Caribbean Princess Saturday. She did have more than the usual plumbing problems in the public area bathrooms. A lot of out of order sinks and toilets. A few overflows, too. We were told that there were not enough plumbers and parts to repair and replace at a quicker pace.

Our cabin was flooded due to an overflow in the next cabin. My only complaint in this situation was how poorly the passenger desk supervisors dealt with the situation. When finally a decision was made, our room steward and other crew members worked hard to totally redo (carpet, drapes,bedding) the room. We found the crew on this ship to be very friendly and helpful.

I would also like to say that we sailed the new Royal on her third voyage. We had an air conditioning problem for 12 days..old ship/new ship..problems happen. How they are handled is important, but on any cruise line, crews change from month to month..some better than others.

Okay..the Caribbean Princess. We had a great cruise. We like the design of the ship. Especially the Caribe deck balconies. There were plenty of venues available for entertainment. She has a nice exterior. Plenty of room for all passengers. A lot of pools and bars. A promenade deck plus plenty of places for front and aft viewing. A nice Atrium for sitting and enjoying whatever!! The ship was 100% full and we really never felt overcrowded, except for ports using the tenders.

The Caribbean Princess is not new. There are some signs of wear and tear, but nothing to take away from her sailing pleasure. (Unless all the bathrooms overflow at the same time. :eek: ) She is still elegant, with just a few wrinkles. Are there glitches here and there..yes! Except for a musty smell in our cabin due to 14 hours of a very wet rug..we only once had a sewer smell when sitting at a table on lido deck ,too close to the men's room. (We moved) We did have a tablemate who said a "sewer" smell came out of her cabin toilet, but was immediately corrected.

When you pay hard earned money for a vacation, of course, we all want perfection. I read the reviews of the ship before we booked and sailed, but I liked the itinerary and really had no other choice, other than not sail Princess. (Very glad we went.) We love Princess and especially her elegant older ships, even with their wrinkles. I heard the Caribbean was due for a dry dock (heard this while on board) in 2016. I 'm not sure if this is true or not.

Thank you for you positive comments! I feel better already! ;)

Just came back from a week on the CB. Aft on Caribe deck, nice stateroom and the balcony was excellent.

I have asthma and was worried about the moldy smell. Didn't experience it at all. A few of the ladies rooms had sinks or toilets out of order, but that was it. But wow, those showers are tiny.

The bed was comfortable and roomy. I slept well, except for one night when something in the ceiling thumped and rattled. Sea was a bit rougher that night, I put in my earplugs and was not bothered after that. Hubby and I both have arthritis, and the bed was fine. Hint: ginger is an anti-inflammatory and may help with minor joint pain as well as with motion sickness.

I did see some sad chair cushions. The horror.

My butter in the Coral Dining Room was perfect.

The head waiter would show us the menu for the next evening and take a pre-order because we have a funky food sensitivity. The junior waiters tried, and one was better than the other, but Simon saved our dinners. Funny story: on lobster night we ended up with four dinners. I ordered lobster, hubby the Beef Wellington. They brought us two plates of lobster, then the beef; I mentioned the pumpkin wraps sounded interesting, I got those too. We didn't mind one bit.

I think many of those issues are pretty common on cruise ships. We were on a 29 day on the Crown and yes, the butter was frozen, and some of the sinks and toilets in the public restrooms were broken, off and on during the 29 days. Those issues while annoying, will most definitely not spoil our vacation.

But, worse, we also had almost 200 cases of the Noro virus (passengers and crew), so we decided next cruise that we would try not to use the public restrooms if possible.

Edited by suzyed

I think many of those issues are pretty common on cruise ships. We were on a 29 day on the Crown and yes, the butter was frozen, and some of the sinks and toilets in the public restrooms were broken, off and on during the 29 days. Those issues while annoying, will most definitely not spoil our vacation.

But, worse, we also had almost 200 cases of the Noro virus (passengers and crew), so we decided next cruise that we would try not to use the public restrooms if possible.

The thought of Noro virus is a little terrifying. I hope you didn't get it!

Most of the things I noticed were minor, or just things I didn't like because of personal opinion (the incessant photos, not liking the Horizon Court), or just plain being grouchy now and then. I am still not convinced cruising is my thing, but overall, it was a good experience.

We still have one unpunched coffee card, so may need to go at least once more.

• 1 month later...

Just disembarked from CP. Terrible sewage smell in our cabin when we embarked on 30 May. Reported it immediately, they changed the filters whatever that means and we were okay after that.

Smell was frankly disgusting, if they hadn't sorted it we were planning to sleep out on the open deck.

• 1 month later...
Just disembarked from CP. Terrible sewage smell in our cabin when we embarked on 30 May. Reported it immediately, they changed the filters whatever that means and we were okay after that.

Smell was frankly disgusting, if they hadn't sorted it we were planning to sleep out on the open deck.

What cabin were you in? I am glad it was resolved in a timely manner.

Marie

• 4 weeks later...
We recently disembarked the Caribbean Princess and had no issues at all with the bedding. We are in our 60's and deal with arthritis as well. :)

This is good to know...DH and I have a cruise scheduled on Caribbean Princess 2016 and have been reading all the reviews. Can I ask what cabin you were in?