MS Westerdam - Sail Away -- Sat, Mar 28

Krazy Kruizers

you got that right:D I had to miss this one, but I will be here next week for sure. I had work to do for DH and with the things on my plate and the delays with dogcare, I couldn't delay.

hated to miss it but delighted to see our captain will be there.

Melodie - thank you so much for the kind offer.

0bnxshs doesn't have to fly and is in the U.S. so they can "handle" something extra. I would happily take it, but delivery to Canada is longer and there is not time to play with this so to speak.

sorry I have missed some sail a ways, but a girl has gotta do what a girl has gotta do. Between dog supervision, tours, finalization, and stuff still to do here I've been a little busy beaver. My goal is to have it all done by next weekend (or the bulk of it) and hopefully put my feet up for the sail a way.

Miss you all

Isn't that dog healed yet?:D

Did the Condo people just wake up, that was the most noise I heard out of them today.

Chief, nice that you could tear yourself away from your vacation today to join us.

Wow...wonder what they did to have to exit like that. Maybe stowaways.

Stowaways? IMO, very unlikely. Given the zero count procedures usually in force at Port Everglades after a cruise and the security check-in procedures upon embarking, I cannot imagine how anyone could be a stowaway.

Customs and Border Patrol, and maybe in conjuction with the United States Coast Guard, require cruise ships to submit passenger, and I imagine crew, manifests to them prior to sailing. These are supposedly screened before the ship gets the approval to sail. If someone who is on that manifest has a warrent for their arrest or should not be allowed to leave the United States, it is noted and the appropriate action taken to detain that person(s).

I do wonder, who boards the ship to make the arrest? U.S. Marshalls, CBP Officers, etc. I assume that the ship's Chief Security Officer uses his folks to find them on the ship and detain them, but who then actually "arrests" them?

Isn't that dog healed yet?:D

Did the Condo people just wake up, that was the most noise I heard out of them today.

Chief, nice that you could tear yourself away from your vacation today to join us.

Kazu is better, but Marley was neutered (is that a bad word:D:p). We had to wait until his growth plates had closed so he is a big puppy to be neutered.

he's looking good but the advice was we might want to wait another two days before he goes out on his own running and jumping on the snowbanks. uggh. I am TIRED of taking dogs out on leash at 6:00 am without a cup of coffee.

But, if the vet thinks we should wait I will follow the advice, I don't want complications before we cruise. There is no cancellation insurance for dogs :p

I planned it well so he should be fine and Kazu is really back to his old self, but it all takes time and watching;)

But they are worth it. It seems every cruise something happens. Fox with her surgery, Maverick's death, etc.

I just want them all healthy and happy when they go to their "vacation home" aka kennel

Stowaways? IMO, very unlikely. Given the zero count procedures usually in force at Port Everglades after a cruise and the security check-in procedures upon embarking, I cannot imagine how anyone could be a stowaway.

Customs and Border Patrol, and maybe in conjuction with the United States Coast Guard, require cruise ships to submit passenger, and I imagine crew, manifests to them prior to sailing. These are supposedly screened before the ship gets the approval to sail. If someone who is on that manifest has a warrent for their arrest or should not be allowed to leave the United States, it is noted and the appropriate action taken to detain that person(s).

I do wonder, who boards the ship to make the arrest? U.S. Marshalls, CBP Officers, etc. I assume that the ship's Chief Security Officer uses his folks to find them on the ship and detain them, but who then actually "arrests" them?

That would kind of be like Copper's job but yeah who arrests them, good question. Where's Copper when we need him....:)

Kazu is better, but Marley was neutered (is that a bad word:D:p). We had to wait until his growth plates had closed so he is a big puppy to be neutered.

he's looking good but the advice was we might want to wait another two days before he goes out on his own running and jumping on the snowbanks. uggh. I am TIRED of taking dogs out on leash at 6:00 am without a cup of coffee.

But, if the vet thinks we should wait I will follow the advice, I don't want complications before we cruise. There is no cancellation insurance for dogs :p

I planned it well so he should be fine and Kazu is really back to his old self, but it all takes time and watching;)

But they are worth it. It seems every cruise something happens. Fox with her surgery, Maverick's death, etc.

I just want them all healthy and happy when they go to their "vacation home" aka kennel

Yeah that's what I was asking about, Marley neutering (only if your a man is it a dirty word). I thought by now he would be healed. Sounds like you and the vet are being extremely cautious but can understand with the cruise coming up.

Yeah that's what I was asking about, Marley neutering (only if your a man is it a dirty word). I thought by now he would be healed. Sounds like you and the vet are being extremely cautious but can understand with the cruise coming up.

when they are over 100 pounds, you need to be cautious. There can be complications at that size. We didn't postpone. It was the vet's recommendation as it is now shown that big dogs get hip dysplasia, joint problems and bladder cancer if they are neutered too soon. I listen to my vet. We lost Maverick from bladder cancer and he was neutered at 8 months. But that was a very long time ago, before this was known. She was in tears when she gave me the news as I could hear in her voice "if only we had known". I was under orders not to do Marley until he was at least 18 months unless he became "bad". I followed the advice, but he is big and active, so when he goes off leash to play, he will dance and jump on every 10 foot snow bank he can in the yard. So, two more days, just to be safe.

My vet is super. She made a house call to do Marley's shots when my wrist was broken. She really cares about the animals and researches very hard. I listen to her always :)

What's a couple more days? (grrrrrr - I thougt I was done).

Edited by kazu

when they are over 100 pounds, you need to be cautious. There can be complications at that size. We didn't postpone. It was the vet's recommendation as it is now shown that big dogs get hip dysplasia, joint problems and bladder cancer if they are neutered too soon. I listen to my vet. We lost Maverick from bladder cancer and he was neutered at 8 months. But that was a very long time ago, before this was known. She was in tears when she gave me the news as I could hear in her voice "if only we had known". I was under orders not to do Marley until he was at least 18 months unless he became "bad". I followed the advice, but he is big and active, so when he goes off leash to play, he will dance and jump on every 10 foot snow bank he can in the yard. So, two more days, just to be safe.

My vet is super. She made a house call to do Marley's shots when my wrist was broken. She really cares about the animals and researches very hard. I listen to her always :)

What's a couple more days? (grrrrrr - I thougt I was done).

Wow, I have not heard that theory on hip dysplasia. I've had probably 5+ dogs with hip dysplasia and most of them have not been altered. Though I do understand the theory of growth plates and not closing up right when alter early. Probably makes more sense with very large dogs. Mine have only weight around 50 pounds.

Wow, I have not heard that theory on hip dysplasia. I've had probably 5+ dogs with hip dysplasia and most of them have not been altered. Though I do understand the theory of growth plates and not closing up right when alter early. Probably makes more sense with very large dogs. Mine have only weight around 50 pounds.

Marley has a guarantee for hip dysplasia as long as he is not neutered too early and we do the test at two years of age.

So, there must be something to it. All my dogs have been altered. Heck, as a past board member/president of the SPCA, I'd be setting a bad precedent if I didn't LOL. Two more days - I can deal with it - just throws my schedule off again - uggher.

No matter, we will be on the Westerdam in two weeks with healthy, happy dogs at their vacation home (aka kennel - shhh- we don't tell them that's what it is )- they LOVE Debbie - their care giver - Fox & Kazu (like Mav used to) know their kennels and head right there. Marley was tad taken aback with the barking the first time and strange surroundings. I went in the kennel and called him and in he came, pats, treats and toys and out I went. Next time he went in beautifully.

the pack gets walked specially - twice a day - they get treated very well and have their own area for just the three of them as well outside. They are treated very well - would Kazu put them anywhere else?

Edited by kazu

Marley has a guarantee for hip dysplasia as long as he is not neutered too early and we do the test at two years of age.

So, there must be something to it. All my dogs have been altered. Heck, as a past board member/president of the SPCA, I'd be setting a bad precedent if I didn't LOL. Two more days - I can deal with it - just throws my schedule off again - uggher.

No matter, we will be on the Westerdam in two weeks with healthy, happy dogs at their vacation home (aka kennel - shhh- we don't tell them that's what it is )- they LOVE Debbie - their care giver - Fox & Kazu (like Mav used to) know their kennels and head right there. Marley was tad taken aback with the barking the first time and strange surroundings. I went in the kennel and called him and in he came, pats, treats and toys and out I went. Next time he went in beautifully.

the pack gets walked specially - twice a day - they get treated very well and have their own area for just the three of them as well outside. They are treated very well - would Kazu put them anywhere else?

Well as a breeder we tend not to alter our dogs unless they are not fit for breeding (hips, eyes, temperament, etc.) or they are sold as pets and or they are getting to old to breed. None the less, I'm impressed that you can get a guarantee for no hip dysplasia. I couldn't do that and all my breeding stock were ofa'd good to excellent bred to the same and still we would get hip dysplasia.

Sounds like you have a wonderful place for them when your on vacation and that is terrific. Nothing like a little piece of mind when you are traveling. I have someone that comes in, so they don't have to leave home and can be comfortable in there own surroundings. Works well for them and me.

I think you all are going to have such a good time on this cruise and hopefully you will enjoy the Captain as much as I did on our recent Westerdam cruise.

Well as a breeder we tend not to alter our dogs unless they are not fit for breeding (hips, eyes, temperament, etc.) or they are sold as pets and or they are getting to old to breed. None the less, I'm impressed that you can get a guarantee for no hip dysplasia. I couldn't do that and all my breeding stock were ofa'd good to excellent bred to the same and still we would get hip dysplasia.

Sounds like you have a wonderful place for them when your on vacation and that is terrific. Nothing like a little piece of mind when you are traveling. I have someone that comes in, so they don't have to leave home and can be comfortable in there own surroundings. Works well for them and me.

I think you all are going to have such a good time on this cruise and hopefully you will enjoy the Captain as much as I did on our recent Westerdam cruise.

thanks so much and thanks again for helping our sail a way gang out for the sail a way. you have been a gem

well, all I can say is the breeder has a 20 year record without it. doesn't mean we will avoid it (I'm not lucky) but at least after all we have been through with the other three, we may escape some costs. I could have done a Neptune suite on several cruises for what I have paid or knee surgery, surgery for cancer, puppy strangles, etc. and I don't regret one dime of it. When we get a dog (or cat) we are responsible for them.

I wouldn't dare leave them at home (and I do have people who have offered to care for them) but it's just not the same and they would be at the door waiting for me to come back. When I take them to the kennel (agghh did I use that word?) I tell them I will be back and they know it's later. Time flies for them. they are happy and content. Happy to go and happier (I like to think) when I come back to get them. It's not a cheap thing to do, but it is part of the cost of cruising.

Interesting to hear you breed dogs - I hope we sail together some day so I can hear more about it. Mine are just pets and one a semi- service dog at one stage for the SPCA. No coat as he doesn't deserve it and I don't cheat and the weather was not co-operative that year to take him to the next level. Now, Kazu is jut a good old obedient boy that we coddle due to old age.

thanks again for helping the Sail a Way gang out. very appreciated.