Ski Jacket Required?

stanjj111

Not a ski jacket, but definitely take a WATERPRROF JACKET, preferably one with a hood so that you don't have to carry an umbrella. And if your itinerary includes glacier viewing, take gloves and a wool hat/headband for extra warmth. It's bitterly cold when you're near a few square miles of ice.

And carry a small day pack so that you have an easy place to store your jacket during the day in case the weather changes. (It will also carry wallets, cameras, binoculars, guide books, maps, snacks, purchases.)

There are many threads about appropriate clothing for Alaska cruises. Enter the word 'clothes' in SEARCH THIS FORUM and it will pull up lots of threads.

Edited by mapleleaves

We are going to Alaska in early June. We only have bulky leather coats. Will we need a heavy jacket this time of year? Should be purchase ski jackets?

You will be better off with a lighter weight jacket and multiple layers underneath.

The key is to layer, and not wear one heavy jacket as temperatures may vary widely during the day.

I take a lightweight, lined nylon type jacket and wear my sweatshirt jacket underneath. In Alaska you do need a wide range of attire- IF you are planning on being outside during sailing. There is a good number of people who never do this, and are just as happy to stay in the port area- a sweater would be enough in those cases.

IF you are going outside during the glacier sailings, hat and gloves are also needed.

As everyone has already told you, forget the winter coat and bring a light weight spring type jacket, that is waterproof. If you are from an area where it is warm all the time, you might also want to bring (or buy while on the cruise) a hoodie that you can put on or take off according to how the weather is.

Check out several of the many threads on this board that deal with this same subject.

Cheers

Len

Bulky leather jackets don't sound like they will fit the bill....you are better off in colder climates (as others stated it is summer but perhaps cold for you) with layers. A long sleeve t-shirt, a fleece layer or hoodie and then a light weight nylon waterproof layer would probably be best. If you are really not used to cold weather, light gloves and a hat or headband may be needed too.

Having said that you will see some people with parkas and you will see us Canadians in tshirts and shorts:)

We are doing a Helicopter/Dog Sledding excursion on Mendenhall Glacier. I was planning on taking heavier coats for this excursion. What's your feeling on that?

We sure didn't need a heavy coat when we went. It was in the 60s. This was July. Could have gone with just a T-shirt and a light jacket. The tour guide did not wear a coat at all. YMMV. What you should remember to bring are your sunglasses. They provide them but I was glad I had my own. It's bright up there on the glacier!

OP: My solution for outerwear on the cruise was a lightweight Gore-Tex jacket with hood and a mid-weight fleece also with a hood. Those combined with gloves were good enough for Glacier Bay Day when we were out almost the entire day on the front of the ship exposed to wind. I think I may have worn my Gore-Tex pants that day too, just for wind protection, as it wasn't raining. (Pretty much no one came out where we were because of the cold and wind, I guess, so we had great views at the front all to ourselves!) I mostly just wore the waterproof jacket everywhere. Did not need the heavier fleece under it except for Glacier Bay. Probably did wear a lightweight fleece at times, though. I just don't remember temperature being much of a factor. It was always pretty comfortable.

Edited by portiemom
additional content

We sure didn't need a heavy coat when we went. It was in the 60s. This was July. Could have gone with just a T-shirt and a light jacket. The tour guide did not wear a coat at all. YMMV. What you should remember to bring are your sunglasses. They provide them but I was glad I had my own. It's bright up there on the glacier!

OP: My solution for outerwear on the cruise was a lightweight Gore-Tex jacket with hood and a mid-weight fleece also with a hood. Those combined with gloves were good enough for Glacier Bay Day when we were out almost the entire day on the front of the ship exposed to wind. I think I may have worn my Gore-Tex pants that day too, just for wind protection, as it wasn't raining. (Pretty much no one came out where we were because of the cold and wind, I guess, so we had great views at the front all to ourselves!) I mostly just wore the waterproof jacket everywhere. Did not need the heavier fleece under it except for Glacier Bay. Probably did wear a lightweight fleece at times, though. I just don't remember temperature being much of a factor. It was always pretty comfortable.

Our trip is scheduled for the first week in June so I expect that the high temperatures would be 55-60.

Our trip is scheduled for the first week in June so I expect that the high temperatures would be 55-60.

Could be what I'm used to living in the Mid-Atlantic region, but I don't wear a heavy coat at those temps. I use my heavy coat when temps are in the 30s and 40s and below. What I was getting at was with a mid-weight fleece and waterproof jacket, both with hood, I was good to go. I could have the flexibility for whatever temps we encountered. And the worst of it was Glacier Bay, mainly because it was windy on the bow of the ship, as well as having cool air temp. So that day, I had both hoods up and added a pair of gloves. Worked for me, ymmv.

I would not take one heavy coat, whether it was leather or an insulated parka, because it's just not flexible for all the various weather conditions you're likely to encounter. I would not want to take up the space with it in my luggage. Nor would I want to have to carry it, like on the plane. Fleece it easy to condense with a space-saver bag. It flattens it right down when the air is removed.

Another thing is that silk long underwear pants take up practically no luggage space and are great under pants for colder temps (40s and below, for me). Thermal underwear might be the answer for you. It adds another layer without the bulk.

But 50s and 60s are perfect temps for me. I'd only wear a light jacket. And if I were hiking or walking a good deal, I wouldn't even want that. Actually yesterday it was about 42 here and I did not wear a jacket, just a sweater. :)

Edited by portiemom
today 9:12

We are doing a Helicopter/Dog Sledding excursion on Mendenhall Glacier. I was planning on taking heavier coats for this excursion. What's your feeling on that?

Layers - leave the heavy stuff at home.

Sierra Trading carries silk long underwear / base layer wear. and camisoles. They are wonderful. I wore them on Glacier Bay day. Will be packing them for our next Alaska trip.

LL Bean has good and reasonably priced rain jackets that pack down small-- you need waterproof not simply water resistant. We have this model and it performed well http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68168?feat=504728-GN2&page=trail-model-rain-jacket

As others have said your jacket needs to be big enough to fit over a fleece jacket/hoodie. I used a light scarf around my neck and as a quick head cover if it became chilly.

Sierra Trading carries silk long underwear / base layer wear. and camisoles. They are wonderful. I wore them on Glacier Bay day. Will be packing them for our next Alaska trip.

LL Bean has good and reasonably priced rain jackets that pack down small-- you need waterproof not simply water resistant. We have this model and it performed well http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68168?feat=504728-GN2&page=trail-model-rain-jacket

As others have said your jacket needs to be big enough to fit over a fleece jacket/hoodie. I used a light scarf around my neck and as a quick head cover if it became chilly.

Yes! I buy most of my gear from LLBean. I have the StowAway jacket with Gore-Tex. Great to know the Trail Model jacket works well because it is much more reasonably priced for people who just need the jacket for this trip. Also, I get my silk underwear from LL Bean. It's pricey, but worth it. They have frequent sales or if you know someone who shops there a lot and has the LL Bean credit card they can get you a nice discount.

Great to know the Trail Model jacket works well because it is much more reasonably priced for people who just need the jacket for this trip. .

We bought ours in 2011 for our first Alaska trip and got the longer raincoats when they were on sale. They worked well and kept us dry when it poured down. Some recent reviews are not as positive. This is one trip where I take removable hooks for by the cabin door to hang up our wet coats.

I also have a Columbia Omni-dry jacket that is much older but only requires being tossed in the dryer to revitalize the waterproofing.

Edited by Alaskanb

We bought ours in 2011 for our first Alaska trip and got the longer raincoats when they were on sale. They worked well and kept us dry when it poured down. Some recent reviews are not as positive. This is one trip where I take removable hooks for by the cabin door to hang up our wet coats.

I also have a Columbia Omni-dry jacket that is much older but only requires being tossed in the dryer to revitalize the waterproofing.

Nice idea. Thanks to all.

If you get to Alaska and find u need a jacket, light, waterproof or heavy.

Buy it there. Don't worry about having the right one before. We have been to Alaska 3 times, all doing back to back cruises, and I hAve found Alaska to be the best place to purchase a jacket for a very good price. U will b surprised what $29.00 gets you, plus it's a nice souvenir. My whole family including inlaws all have Jackets with Alaska logo.

Juneau, and Ketchikan are the best ports to shop.

We have been to Alaska in May and early / mid June, and we have have at times needed our warm coats, mitts, and hats, and still found it chilly. Other times we could have worn shorts on one day if we had brought. ( but not needed) We are from British Columbia, Canada, to give u an idea of what we r use too.

Biggest thing is prepair for rain, bring an umbrella, and we buy those cheap plastic rain covers, which can go over whatever u wear. ( and fit Nicely in a pocket, we buy at dollar store). Every Alaska trip we have experienced at least one downpour.

Edited by ldock
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

I've been stewing over what to do about a jacket for months now. Time is up. We leave for Alaska in just one month and I still have nothing to wear. We live in the Deep South where we see some moderate cold but not sustained or with wind chills making it feel colder. We get by with sweaters, mostly.

IOW, I feel like I am going to need a ski type (puffy) jacket. I'd hate it if I were forced to stay inside b/c I was cold. I'm thinking about a TNF Thermoball Hoodie, does that sound like a good plan?

DH is a deer hunter so he has lots of Under Armour pieces to wear under his Columbia rain type jacket and pants. Should I just follow suit or will l be cold without a ski coat? Remember: early May, first cold weather cruise ever, Cajuns on board. Thanks in advance!

Edited by MpwdMom

I've been stewing over what to do about a jacket for months now. Time is up. We leave for Alaska in just one month and I still have nothing to wear. We live in the Deep South where we see some moderate cold but not sustained or with wind chills making it feel colder. We get by with sweaters, mostly.

IOW, I feel like I am going to need a ski type (puffy) jacket. I'd hate it if I were forced to stay inside b/c I was cold. I'm thinking about a TNF Thermoball Hoodie, does that sound like a good plan?

DH is a deer hunter so he has lots of Under Armour pieces to wear under his Columbia rain type jacket and pants. Should I just follow suit or will l be cold without a ski coat? Remember: early May, first cold weather cruise ever, Cajuns on board. Thanks in advance!

As several people have said, the most important thing that you will need for AK is a waterproof jacket, preferably breathable. The one mentioned earlier is a good one. You can use it later as a raincoat at home. It will be cold when you are there. We have been to AK 5 times in May/early June. You should definitely dress in layers rather than in a big, bulky jacket. At the glaciers I wear thermal underwear, light weight down or fleece jacket, sweatshirt, and rain jacket, headband and gloves. I am a Florida girl and although I have lived in Virginia for years I still feel the cold like a Floridian. If your first port is Ketchikan, that is a great place to buy fleece, hats, and gloves at a very reasonable price.

BTW, the Coral is a great ship for AK. Just the right size.

As stated throughout this thread, the most important item is a waterproof jacket, preferably hooded. Is your ski coat waterproof? What will your ski jacket do in a downpour?

Secondly, wear layers .... if you're worried about being cold, wear the underarmor or long underwear, PLUS, a wool sweater or sweatshirt. Take a small daypack.... if the day heats up you can put your sweater in the pack, or, if the day turns cold you have a sweater tucked away to wear as needed.

Take a ski band or hat and pair of gloves.

I had to look it up, but that looks like total overkill. You don't need a puffy ski jacket. Layers are much better and more adaptable. As others have said, a good waterproof jacket with a hood is more important.

We are going to Alaska in early June. We only have bulky leather coats. Will we need a heavy jacket this time of year? Should be purchase ski jackets?

We purchased a three in one coat. Outer later is water proof, has a hood and is breathable. Has a zip out light weight down jacket. Purchased on sale (like 70% off). Can wear all as one, remove liner or outer layer as needed and attach to the bottom of my backpack. Have ear muffs, gloves and scarf as well (all from this winter). Also have fleece pull overs (bringing 2), rain pants (my son's old ones) and simple wool base layer. Also packing 2 pairs of shorts as you never can tell! We are sailing in June as well and I have yet to have anyone tell me it was not cool during that time. I do hope I can use my bathing suit in a Jacuzzi with a nice drink in my hand going by a glacier!:)

As several people have said, the most important thing that you will need for AK is a waterproof jacket, preferably breathable. The one mentioned earlier is a good one. You can use it later as a raincoat at home. It will be cold when you are there. We have been to AK 5 times in May/early June. You should definitely dress in layers rather than in a big, bulky jacket. At the glaciers I wear thermal underwear, light weight down or fleece jacket, sweatshirt, and rain jacket, headband and gloves. I am a Florida girl and although I have lived in Virginia for years I still feel the cold like a Floridian. If your first port is Ketchikan, that is a great place to buy fleece, hats, and gloves at a very reasonable price.

BTW, the Coral is a great ship for AK. Just the right size.

Thanks for the info! I will get a waterproof jacket, but I still may add the thermoball for under, it looks super light and is packable in the pocket.

Can't wait to sail on the Coral.

As stated throughout this thread, the most important item is a waterproof jacket, preferably hooded. Is your ski coat waterproof? What will your ski jacket do in a downpour?.

Interestingly there is a YouTube video on just that, with regard to the Thermoball. New technology - the inside stayed dry...may have just been a gimmick to sell.

Thanks for the info. Going to price out a rain jacket now. :)