Using Insulin

Enforcer

Hi All,

I am an insulin user and inject myself before my meals.

I am from the UK and we are cruising from San Francisco in October.

When I am in the UK I just inject myself in restaurants etc and don't really care if it raises an eyebrow or two, my question is - is this the done thing in the USA, would it cause problems?

Any advice or stories would be appreciated.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I have had my husband inject me in an airport waiting area, and once on a plane. Both times in my upper arm. No one blinked an eye; not a word was said!

Marlee

Edited by RLM77

I read a suggestion to carry a filled insulin needle in one of those plastic toothbrush holders when on the go. I'm taking my first cruise in two weeks and plan to do this at ports of call, simpler than having to fill a needle and carry a bottle of insulin with you. Also sharps containers are provided by the ship so one less thing to pack.

• 3 weeks later...

I also use a quick-acting insulin before meals. Mine comes in a pen that I attach a little needle to, and dial up the appropriate number of units. You don't have to carry around a bottle of insulin and syringes. I simply go into the bathroom at the restaurant and inject myself before my meals.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, I use a pre-filled pen that you dial up the required amount.

Treven, I wouldn't use a bathroom to inject myself, just my preference.

I asked because I don't like to cause offence to anyone it's just that if it isn't the done thing I would be as discreet as I could be, if anyone doesn't like that then I'm big and daft enough to ADVISE them the error of their ways.

Cheers

Pete

Enforcer, I wasn't recommending/suggesting going into one of the toilet stalls, but rather at the counter where the sinks are. That's where I inject myself, then I can simply toss the used pen needle into the trash.

Edited by Treven

Enforcer, I wasn't recommending/suggesting going into one of the toilet stalls, but rather at the counter where the sinks are. That's where I inject myself, then I can simply toss the used pen needle into the trash.

NO. Please don't.

Used needles need to be disposed of in a sharps container, not tossed into the trash. Who knows what germs might lurk in the trash receptacle and think of that unwitting washroom attendant who could be injured by the discarded needle.

NO. Please don't.

Used needles need to be disposed of in a sharps container, not tossed into the trash. Who knows what germs might lurk in the trash receptacle and think of that unwitting washroom attendant who could be injured by the discarded needle.

I'm sure Treven will be back to comment, but I believe the needle retracts back into a housing and wouldn't be a danger in the trash. EM

I'm sure Treven will be back to comment, but I believe the needle retracts back into a housing and wouldn't be a danger in the trash. EM

While that's likely the case, discarding any used needles (retracted or not) in a public trash container is still a bad idea. In fact in some jurisdictions it is illegal to discard used insulin (or other kinds of) needles, even when retracted, in any container other than a designated sharps disposal container.

You're right, I would be back to comment. These pen needles have their own little plastic covering that when finished being used are completely enclosed, there's nothing sharp protruding.

Treven,

Sorry, but the pen needles aren't as safe as you think they are. Even when they are inserted into their cone shaped covers they still have an exposed end. If somebody should be reaching into the trash for some reason, it is quite possible that they could come in contact with the exposed end. I carry a small pill container with me and dispose of my needle into it (in the safety cone) until I can get back to the cabin and transfer it to the sharps container that the room steward gives me. If I'm not cruising, but going out to eat, etc., I just take the needle home.

And I would never, ever take a shot in the bathroom, no matter if I were at the sink or elsewhere. Too many germs for me. Besides, I have a time limit after which I have to eat, and I've had times when it was a half hour or even longer to any food (including bread). I wait till I see food, and then if I am at a table for many, I give myself a shot beneath the table.

No, I don't crawl under the table, I just put my hands down there (this is said jokingly).

M.

You're right, I would be back to comment. These pen needles have their own little plastic covering that when finished being used are completely enclosed, there's nothing sharp protruding.

Hi,

As I have said I don't want to cause offence.

I wouldn't use a bathroom as it isn't the safest environment or the cleanest. You must also be responsible in disposing of sharps, they may be covered up but they are still a bio hazard. What would worry me is if a child somehow got hold of the needle/pen (it could fall out of the rubbish when being thrown away) and as children are naturally inquisitive they could easily do themselves harm.

Another reason is that if someone entered the bathroom and saw you injecting yourself the possibility of them thinking that you are using illegal substances is greater and you may have to explain yourself to the bussies (Police)

Pete

As an aside my friend declared he was a diabetic on our last cruise and when we arrived in the cabin a yellow sharps box had been provided by the cruise line. It was labelled with our cabin number. I assume they were protecting staff because we never asked for it and he does not inject. This will be ok for on board operations.

Regards John

As an aside my friend declared he was a diabetic on our last cruise and when we arrived in the cabin a yellow sharps box had been provided by the cruise line. It was labelled with our cabin number. I assume they were protecting staff because we never asked for it and he does not inject. This will be ok for on board operations.

Regards John

Same here. If it isn't already in your cabin, just ask for it.

I've always gotten a sharps container for my cabin, a bright red one, and Stuart has always replaced it when it was full. I would imagine it's bright red so it can be identified and incinerated along with the rest of the medical waste.

Edited by Treven