What Should I be Asking? Please help...

cruisevers

Hubby and I are booked for an Alaskan cruise on HAL in May. We booked a suite through HAL directly while they had a good special going a couple weeks ago.

Now we have decided to take my niece and her hubby along with us and getting them their own cabin. Since we are paying for there trip ( including air) and already splurged (for us) on our cabin I am looking to save any money I can.

And of course the special we booked under is gone now! So I submitted the itinerary to one of those sites that gathers quotes for you and sends an email when they get a quote back. We got 5 quotes back and 2 were very good identical deals, about 10% less than booking direct with HAL. One name I recognized as a big cruise dealer online.

Our cruise is about 40 days out and seems to be a slow seller with many cabins available still. I am looking at booking them a HH obstructed view gty cabin. They are thrilled just to be going and would take any cabin but since this was just slightly more than an inside I figured this would at least give them some daylight. The agent at HAL even told me they more than likely would get upgraded even....The same cruise sailing the week before us is already cheaper as is the the one 2 weeks after us so I wonder if this one will get reduced more also. Looking at the amount of cabins still available on our cruise I wonder why its price has not dropped.

Now to my question finally... I am wondering what questions I should be asking of this online agency. I am drawing a blank at things to check. I have looked at reviews for them and they seem fairly good.

Can anyone give me some guidance to give me piece of mind before I book through them? Anything I am missing by using an agency?

I have never used an online agency for a cruise but then again never booked a cruise on such short notice either! Ty in advance for any help!

Need to find out

- if they charge cancellation or change fees just in case you have to make changes.

- see if you can transfer your booking to the agency. You might be surprised at the extras they can offer.

- what is their refund policy.

I'm sure others will add to the list.

Need to find out

- if they charge cancellation or change fees just in case you have to make changes.

- see if you can transfer your booking to the agency. You might be surprised at the extras they can offer.

- what is their refund policy.

I'm sure others will add to the list.

Also, check the "Agency Information and Rating" for each agency giving a quote if that information is available.

Thank you both for your replies. I did check the ratings and they look good with a bbb rating of A+. I think it may be worth it for the savings!

The source you are using to gather quotes is my "go to" agency and one of the travel agencies quoting is generally the lowest quote. I've used them for years and haven't found a better resource.

Edited by qsuzi

Others will remember this better than me but several years ago one of our members almost lost a considerable amount of money booking directly with a on line cruise agency. She booked, sent them her deposit and then they went bankrupt before they sent the money to HAL. I think I have that right.

So, make sure the money goes to HAL immediately. I book directly with HAL and then transfer to cruise agency. I get a good deal that way and HAL already has my deposit. I really like my on line cruise agency. Can't mention names here though.

But, OP, are you outside the final payment date? If you are not and that date has passed, you may stand to lose. If you were happy with the price that you booked, why the issue? Cabin prices from TA's can change hourly and what is cheaper at 3:00 p.m. may be more expensive at 5:00 p.m. You can't compare published prices from one cruise week to the next. As an example, I booked our next cruise with a well-known and respected online agency a couple of weeks ago. From the time I got the quote in the morning, the price had dropped $300 pp by late afternoon. Relax and enjoy the anticipation of your cruise. You will have a wonderful time!

But, OP, are you outside the final payment date? If you are not and that date has passed, you may stand to lose. If you were happy with the price that you booked, why the issue? Cabin prices from TA's can change hourly and what is cheaper at 3:00 p.m. may be more expensive at 5:00 p.m. You can't compare published prices from one cruise week to the next. As an example, I booked our next cruise with a well-known and respected online agency a couple of weeks ago. From the time I got the quote in the morning, the price had dropped $300 pp by late afternoon. Relax and enjoy the anticipation of your cruise. You will have a wonderful time!

Per Cruisevers "Now we have decided to take my niece and her hubby along with us and getting them their own cabin. Since we are paying for there trip ( including air) and already splurged (for us) on our cabin I am looking to save any money I can. We got 5 quotes back and 2 were very good identical deals, about 10% less than booking direct with HAL. One name I recognized as a big cruise dealer online. I am looking at booking them a HH obstructed view gty cabin."

The most important question to ask is "Will the charge on my credit card show Holland America Line or XYZ Agency? The correct answer is Holland America Line. If they say the charge will show XYZ Agency then you need to run, not walk away from the deal.

There have been horror stories on the boards about money that never did get remitted to the cruiseline. Either that or the agency went under, taking the client's money with them.

Others will remember this better than me but several years ago one of our members almost lost a considerable amount of money booking directly with a on line cruise agency. She booked, sent them her deposit and then they went bankrupt before they sent the money to HAL. I think I have that right.

So, make sure the money goes to HAL immediately. I book directly with HAL and then transfer to cruise agency. I get a good deal that way and HAL already has my deposit. I really like my on line cruise agency. Can't mention names here though.

Very important ^^ and just what I was going to post. :)

I remember that horrid situation and she was so lucky it worked out in the end.

The most important question to ask is "Will the charge on my credit card show Holland America Line or XYZ Agency? The correct answer is Holland America Line. If they say the charge will show XYZ Agency then you need to run, not walk away from the deal.

There have been horror stories on the boards about money that never did get remitted to the cruiseline. Either that or the agency went under, taking the client's money with them.

That is so true and a travel agency going out of business has happened to me (I did get the cruise after some work on my part). That's why it's important to do due diligence and research any agency or business entity you deal with. I guess it comes down to risk tolerance and what a person feels comfortable with. You can also be burned by bad information and prices from cruise lines depending on who you are dealing with. I have a long standing relationship with my TA and there are good one's out there others are dealing with.

That's a great point and a very good option. So at final payment time you make sure it is to HAL directly?

Edited by qsuzi

Very important ^^ and just what I was going to post. :)

I remember that horrid situation and she was so lucky it worked out in the end.

Hi Sail, It's so great having you and others here who are long timers to HAL and cruising issues. Ruth is another one whose experience and comments I value.

Thank you all for good advice. I will definitely find out who will show on my charge card. It sounds as if some of you may have used this agency in the past.

Tampagirl, I am happy with my cabin purchase but was questioning booking a second cabin for my niece.

Any more advice is welcome! Aside from original question, are the obstructed views a good choice in this situation?

That's a great point and a very good option. So at final payment time you make sure it is to HAL directly?

Not only at final payment time, but at deposit time too. You want HAL to have your money. You don't want an agency holding it.

Not only at final payment time, but at deposit time too. You want HAL to have your money. You don't want an agency holding it.

Yes I did see where it said at deposit time too. Both are excellent points. Thanks Sapper.

Edited by qsuzi

Yes I did see where it said at deposit time too. Both are excellent points. Thanks Sapper.

You're welcome. Sorry for seeming to nit pick but I think that issue is the single most important issue with booking any kind of vacation.

You're welcome. Sorry for seeming to nit pick but I think that issue is the single most important issue with booking any kind of vacation.

Understandable- it is very important. No worries.

... I think that issue is the single most important issue with booking any kind of vacation.

I agree. If the money doesn't make it to the cruise line, everything else doesn't matter.

I was booked on a CC Group Cruise one time, using the travel agency that CC hooked the group up with. When I saw they charged my payment to them, leaving me only with the promise that they would pay HAL, I was in a panic!

I've seen agencies go under before, and was almost caught in a collapse once. I was very nervous it would happen again.

So when the credit card is billed at time of deposit and final payment, one should check to make sure it shows the cruiseline not the TA. Is there an additional step or something else missing?

Edited by qsuzi

So when the credit card is billed at time of deposit and final payment, one should check to make sure it shows the cruiseline not the TA. Is there an additional step or something else missing?

The TA should be asked their procedure before you give them the booking.

Just to update...

Called and booked through the agency and within 5 minutes I called HAL directly and linked our reservations. So I know money went to HAL directly and they are booked and I saved almost $200. Not bad. Hope everything goes as smooth as this did.

Thanks to all who replied for your input and help!