Carnival Cutbacks

travler27

The Calypso (or Latin) "band" is 2 people - nowhere the same as a full band.

There are a couple solo guitar players. Also a rock band that plays in Red Frog. So while live music has come back a little - it is nowhere the quality of Royal Caribbean or Princess - two brands I prefer to Carnival - HOWEVER, the prices for my cruises on Carnival were much much better.

The live music was the only area that I really noticed cutbacks.

I usually sail Royal and Celebrity, but the best band I have ever heard on a cruise ship was on the Breeze in Oct. They were amazing! It was the last cruise of their contract - so sad.

NCL is currently charging $7.95 or $4.95 "convenience fee" to have room service deliver anything to your cabin. It is currently on a "trial run" for the next two weeks on the Breakaway($7.95) and Getaway($4.95). There was no notice given to any passengers regarding the implementation of this fee and Guest Services is merely saying they will take the passenger's complaint but can't remove the fee.

About 2 weeks ago they also implemented an 18% gratuity on the specialty dining. When I first sailed with NCL I was told the specialty dining fee was to cover the gratuity. That was removed from information not long after my second cruise with them. I have always tipped extra because the service was always exceptional.

Prior to the 1st of March they raised the daily service charge. So since Del Rio took the helm he is very hard on implementing a comment he made about getting an extra $4 - $5 out of each passenger.

I did my first cruise with Carnival in January. Entertainment was awful and bed was to firm but overall it was a great cruise. Food was excellent. So NCL may not have me there much longer.

Needless to say, the boards are lit up over there. :eek: Imagine paying 7.95 to get a pot of coffee in the morning:mad:

I will say that the Carnival cut backs are nothing like I have seen happening on the NCL boards in just the past month since I really started looking there after booking the Breakaway.

We aren't loyal to any one line but have a repeat cruise on Carnival for the first time in August. And to think I was worried about the cutbacks since we haven't sailed since 2011 and on the Legend :)

The worst part is, I wonder how many people are in the same situation with NCL as I am. I haven't even sailed with them and already don't want to give FDR my business! Problem is I got a deal for $3600 including the drinks package for 4 in an extended balcony to Bermuda. The only other cruises in that time frame are Alaska (+4000 & flights) or Disney (+5000+ 4 days driving), 9 day RCCL (+4000) or an 8 day Breeze (+1400 + 4 days driving). Based on those prices there is just no way I am canceling unless they do something really really stupid. Who knows though it might happen!! :rolleyes:

I don't think I have actually been upset about any cutbacks I have seen on Carnival. No chocolates, well okay. Youngest DS was the one who ate them, and frankly I should have named him Mikey because he will eat anything. Entertainment? Eh DH and 2 teenage DS's don't care about shows so I would have to drag them. Food? I would say 80% of the food we had on the Legend compared to what I cook on a daily basis. But you know what, that is fine because I didn't have to cook it! :D

Then again, I think I am more easy going than most. An e-reader full of books and a balcony and I would be set for life! Well unless it's NCL, then I would have to spend a fortune on room service! :p

Needless to say, the boards are lit up over there. :eek: Imagine paying 7.95 to get a pot of coffee in the morning:mad:

You are right the boards are lit up more than a large city downtown during the holidays. This test is supposed to be only on two ships are a short period but many including myself feel that NCL should have given some type of notice instead of springing the new costs on passengers. When the DSC changed we went ahead and paid in advance to lock in our lower cost. Lucky for us we have a nice coffee machine in our suite or else this grandma would shock other passengers by going to the buffet for 6am coffee:eek: so far there seems to be differing reports and no response from the folk in charge of NCL.

Meanwhile back at the ranch I am just looking forward to my nice 4-day with my DD.:D

It is beyond crazy over there...pages and pages of complaints. NCL's "social media" site has crazy mad people posting as well. While we don't use the room service, so it won't effect us, I can completely understand how mad everyone is getting. To impose something like that without ANY warning at all is just unethical and wrong in so many ways. At least with the other raised fees, we were given notice. This...no notice. Imagine the people sailing the Breakaway or Getaway this week that have no clue about these new charges and using room service. What a shocker this is going to be when that final bill comes. :eek: :(

Cutbacks??? I think Carnival has made vast improvements.

I think Ms. Duffy has them going in the right direction after Mr Cahill took them down the wrong road, but they did have cutbacks like everybody else.

Oh wait there was somebody that used to be on here said it was a reallocation of funds.;)

Bill

Being caffeine sensitive, I never really understood the chocolate at night. As far as the cutbacks are concerned, I believe that Carnival just announced they have made huge profits lately. We understand cutbacks during tough financial times. We all have to tighten our belts sometimes. But, when the money once again starts to flow, you need to bring back some of the things that are the most special to your customers. You need to be able to fill all of those new ships you are ordering.:) I would say that increasing the number of employees should be first on the list. Sounds to me like the MDR service has suffered from the cutbacks and there is a lot of discussion on the boards about frustration with the MDR service.

We've been on Carnival 7 times now , RCL once. I am thinking about NCL this year. I can get a 7 day Caribbean cruise Thanksgiving week for $2,010 for an oceanview, free drinks packages for 2 adults and it includes free soda package for the kids. Carnival is not offering any where near that low a price nor are they offering me any incentives either. Carnival prices have usually been lower than the other brands but this year it is pretty much even for Thanksgiving week, I can choose from either of the 3 brands and I think I'll go with the one that is offering the best usable freebies for my family, I don't need the specialty restaurants and the free drinks packages for the 4 of us makes the most sense to me.

I would say that increasing the number of employees should be first on the list. Sounds to me like the MDR service has suffered from the cutbacks and there is a lot of discussion on the boards about frustration with the MDR service.

We just got back from the 14 night Pride repositioning cruise where we experienced the 3 person team for the first time. Maybe because late dining wasn't at capacity but we found the service to be some of the best. One of the servers was always around and checking on us - even when the other two were at different tables or getting the food, it seemed like there was always someone available.

I think service depends much more on the people than on anything else. At breakfast and lunch in the dining room, we experienced a variety of serving teams, some were super efficient and some were just plain terrible.

Edited by meatloafsfan

We just got back from the 14 night Pride repositioning cruise where we experienced the 3 person team for the first time. Maybe because late dining wasn't at capacity but we found the service to be some of the best. One of the servers was always around and checking on us - even when the other two were at different tables or getting the food, it seemed like there was always someone available.

I think service depends much more on the people than on anything else. At breakfast and lunch in the dining room, we experienced a variety of serving teams, some were super efficient and some were just plain terrible.

Trisha, I have to agree with you about the Pride. We had a VERY competent 3-person team for late dinner. Plus, when they were doing their day jobs, they always had time to chat with us as we saw them; which I thought was very special and mentioned it to the Maitre'D.

Breakfast and Brunch service was awful. Took 90 minutes each of the two times. And I heard that was pretty standard.

Steve

When I read/hear of the CCL cutbacks I get aggravated at first. Then the more I think about it, the cutbacks are trival or on things I don't use or do.

I get over it and look at the big picture and move on.

When I have to bring my own life vest, I'll reassess things.

LOL about the life vest! :D

Yes they still serve lobster on elegant night and yes you can still get the WCMC.

I guess what I did not like in the cut back department was the entertainment.

Our last cruise on Carnival Conquest we had the Hasbro game show for the main entertainment for 2 different nights...seeing it once is bad enough.

Also, the new playlist productions with piped in music and only a few dancers...not good IMHO.

Lastly, when they got rid of the live bands...that broke the camels back. We went to Princess.

But now I hear the live bands are making a comeback and maybe calypso bands. We are taking the 10 and 11 day journeys cruises next year and I am very excited for those. Looks like old times!

If you mean the Las Vegas style shows using piped in music, I happen to know that even though they had an orchestra, it's not all them. They use recorded tracks for additional orchestration and back ground voices. That's why it sounds so full. As far as the Calypso guys, that gets old. You hear the same songs every day. I would rather have a good DJ. playing good music. I don't mean rap and hip hop or heavy metal rock.

I remember a live band playing at the back show room on the Conquest. It had very low attendance. But they would fill it up during Karoake. There's something about drunks getting up to sing, and other drunks listening to drunks that really can't sing and singing off key.

On the Magic, they used the back show room for the George Lopez comedy shows. Some of those comedians were really funny.