Carnival Cutbacks

travler27

We've don like 8 Carnival cruises and not been on any other lines. After reading about all the Carnival cutback complaints we decided we'd maybe try something else. Found a NCL cruise we might like but decided to monitor the NCL boards for a while before booking. I'm glad I did. Seems that NCL cutbacks might make Carnival look like they aren't cutting back at all. Looks like NCL is even charging for room service now. Guess I'll stay with my old friend Carnival. :)

Edited by travler27

We've don like 8 Carnival cruises and not been on any other lines. After reading about all the Carnival cutback complaints we decided we'd maybe try something else. Found a NCL cruise we might like but decided to monitor the NCL boards for a while before booking. I'm glad I did. Seems that NCL cutbacks might make Carnival look like they aren't cutting back at all. Looks like NCL is even charging for room service now. Guess I'll stay with my old friend Carnival. :)

Actually both NCL and RCCL has both stepped up their game. But you won't get a true comparison till you try it yourself.

I look at what each ship I am comparing is offering now for price they are charging and choose the one that will best fit our want and needs for that vacation. The cruise line doesn't matter. Cruise lines are always in state of change. I wouldn't expect anything less in a changing world.

When I read/hear of the CCL cutbacks I get aggravated at first. Then the more I think about it, the cutbacks are trival or on things I don't use or do.

I get over it and look at the big picture and move on.

When I have to bring my own life vest, I'll reassess things.

When I read/hear of the CCL cutbacks I get aggravated at first. Then the more I think about it, the cutbacks are trival or on things I don't use or do.

I get over it and look at the big picture and move on.

When I have to bring my own life vest, I'll reassess things.

LOL, this is pretty much how I feel about it. I was really ticked off when they brought in "playlist" productions because I really always enjoyed the previous shows with orchestra. And there was a great deal of moaning and groaning about playlist here on CC, but once I saw a couple of those shows, I changed my opinion. I did actually quite enjoy them.

I prefer to think of these things as just changes and not cutbacks. As for chocolates at turn down service, I have read and heard that other cruise lines are also cutting this out.

So at this point, I still see just some changes but not always cutbacks.:)

I guess I don't really understand why some people get their knickers in such a twist about supposed cutbacks. I've been cruising since about '86 and haven't seen all that much cut that makes a vast difference to me. Yeah, on my first cruise it was cool to see the Limbo King of the Bahamas perform by the pool, but seriously, I can live without him if it means I can still afford to cruise.

And PLEASE, cut out the danged awful chocolates if it means the cruise fare can stay low! I end up throwing the candy out by the handful.

I will still cruise NCL but really disappointed by all the changes that they are implementing all at once! Their PR/communications are also very lacking! :mad:

I wonder what else will increase before our December 2015 cruise...

Having sailed 4 cruise lines in just 7 cruises , I am not exactly a "local" cruiser.:p

The one constant here on CC is complaining about the cutbacks about each and every brand .

Frankly the improvements outweigh the negatives . The non-fixed dining times , smoking restrictions,

huge new ships with various cabin options, multiple dining options , many home ports , to

name just a few have addicted me . All these are improvements and it is just getting better.

Oh yeah - prices are great if you sail and book with whomever and are not too loyal.

Cutbacks ? Yes but Carnival is no worse then anyone else . Frankly , I don't care about the

whiners and their moans. Not a single cutback that is meaningful to me.

Our last Carnival cruise was December 2011.

What cutbacks do I need to know? Do they still serve lobster during the formal night at the MDR? Can I still get my favorite Warm Chocolate Melting Cake in the MDR?

Thanks! :)

Yes they still serve lobster on elegant night and yes you can still get the WCMC.

I guess what I did not like in the cut back department was the entertainment.

Our last cruise on Carnival Conquest we had the Hasbro game show for the main entertainment for 2 different nights...seeing it once is bad enough.

Also, the new playlist productions with piped in music and only a few dancers...not good IMHO.

Lastly, when they got rid of the live bands...that broke the camels back. We went to Princess.

But now I hear the live bands are making a comeback and maybe calypso bands. We are taking the 10 and 11 day journeys cruises next year and I am very excited for those. Looks like old times!

I thought they only charged for room service between midnight and 6am, as well as for pizza. But could have missed any changes, since it has been a couple of years since I was planning a cruise on them. Can anyone, NCL cruiser update whether this is a fact or not? thanks:)

Our last cruise on Carnival Conquest we had the Hasbro game show for the main entertainment for 2 different nights...seeing it once is bad enough.

Also, the new playlist productions with piped in music and only a few dancers...not good IMHO.

Lastly, when they got rid of the live bands...that broke the camels back. We went to Princess.

But now I hear the live bands are making a comeback and maybe calypso bands. We are taking the 10 and 11 day journeys cruises next year and I am very excited for those. Looks like old times!

Thank you for the heads up about the entertainment. That's good to know so we don't get our hopes up. Our next Carnival cruise is so port intensive we will probably too tired at night anyway.

I'm glad I can still WCMC and lobster. :D

Our last Carnival cruise was December 2011.

What cutbacks do I need to know? Do they still serve lobster during the formal night at the MDR? Can I still get my favorite Warm Chocolate Melting Cake in the MDR?

Thanks! :)

Just off Miracle. Yes lobster first formal night (I had 2) and Chocolate Melting Cake on the menu every single night.

Yes they still serve lobster on elegant night and yes you can still get the WCMC.

The Calypso (or Latin) "band" is 2 people - nowhere the same as a full band.

There are a couple solo guitar players. Also a rock band that plays in Red Frog. So while live music has come back a little - it is nowhere the quality of Royal Caribbean or Princess - two brands I prefer to Carnival - HOWEVER, the prices for my cruises on Carnival were much much better.

The live music was the only area that I really noticed cutbacks.

I thought they only charged for room service between midnight and 6am, as well as for pizza. But could have missed any changes, since it has been a couple of years since I was planning a cruise on them. Can anyone, NCL cruiser update whether this is a fact or not? thanks:)

NCL is currently charging $7.95 or $4.95 "convenience fee" to have room service deliver anything to your cabin. It is currently on a "trial run" for the next two weeks on the Breakaway($7.95) and Getaway($4.95). There was no notice given to any passengers regarding the implementation of this fee and Guest Services is merely saying they will take the passenger's complaint but can't remove the fee.

About 2 weeks ago they also implemented an 18% gratuity on the specialty dining. When I first sailed with NCL I was told the specialty dining fee was to cover the gratuity. That was removed from information not long after my second cruise with them. I have always tipped extra because the service was always exceptional.

Prior to the 1st of March they raised the daily service charge. So since Del Rio took the helm he is very hard on implementing a comment he made about getting an extra $4 - $5 out of each passenger.

I did my first cruise with Carnival in January. Entertainment was awful and bed was to firm but overall it was a great cruise. Food was excellent. So NCL may not have me there much longer.

NCL is currently charging $7.95 or $4.95 "convenience fee" to have room service deliver anything to your cabin. It is currently on a "trial run" for the next two weeks on the Breakaway($7.95) and Getaway($4.95). There was no notice given to any passengers regarding the implementation of this fee and Guest Services is merely saying they will take the passenger's complaint but can't remove the fee.

About 2 weeks ago they also implemented an 18% gratuity on the specialty dining. When I first sailed with NCL I was told the specialty dining fee was to cover the gratuity. That was removed from information not long after my second cruise with them. I have always tipped extra because the service was always exceptional.

Prior to the 1st of March they raised the daily service charge. So since Del Rio took the helm he is very hard on implementing a comment he made about getting an extra $4 - $5 out of each passenger.

I did my first cruise with Carnival in January. Entertainment was awful and bed was to firm but overall it was a great cruise. Food was excellent. So NCL may not have me there much longer.

...and NCL just lost me. I was actually thinking of trying them out next summer. That attitude just turns me off. That is ridiculous for the room service fee! I just had room service literally every night on Carnival and all it cost me was tips. Their service was exceedingly fast too.

Any one can be "nit picky," but we go with the flow, and generally get what we PAY FOR!:)

This will seem strange, but I love, love, love Carnival's beds, as well as other things too. I have slept on many a cruise ship, but their beds are great, at least for me.

Thanks for that info. Wow, I think that I prefer Carnival's limited room service menu at no cost other than tips. I dont use room service a lot, maybe two three times in a 7 day cruise, but it is a nice option. Thanks for responding.

Any one can be "nit picky," but we go with the flow, and generally get what we PAY FOR!:)

This will seem strange, but I love, love, love Carnival's beds, as well as other things too. I have slept on many a cruise ship, but their beds are great, at least for me.

I also USE to love Carnivals bedding until they started getting new mattresses, it started with the Breeze. That was the worst mattress for a new ship I have had.

I will still cruise NCL but really disappointed by all the changes that they are implementing all at once! Their PR/communications are also very lacking! :mad:

I wonder what else will increase before our December 2015 cruise...

Yep I'm with you. You can tell Kevin Sheehan is no longer at the helm.

Bill