Thinking of leaving from Puerto Rico

Lannybird12587

What are your thoughts on leaving out of Puerto Rico for a cruise?? We live in N.Y and do not mind the flight there but we were wondering how is the ride from the airport to the cruise terminal? Is it a fairly easy experience? We were debating if we should stay there the day before the ship leaves or just fly in the day of.

What are your thoughts on leaving out of Puerto Rico for a cruise?? We live in N.Y and do not mind the flight there but we were wondering how is the ride from the airport to the cruise terminal? Is it a fairly easy experience? We were debating if we should stay there the day before the ship leaves or just fly in the day of.

I always advise arriving at least a day before the cruise. The taxi ride from the airport to the port is $20-$25 depending on the number of bags, and takes maybe 15 minutes. Very easy.

Absolutely go the day before. If something happens to your flight then there's not nearly as many flight options to get to PR. You can get a hotel for roughly $150-$200 give or take. I ALWAYS fly down the day before regardless of where it's going out of. The only difference is I believe the Adventure (if that what you're looking at) leaves late in the evening giving you some extra time to get down there. But San Juan is in itself a port to do things so why not enjoy yourselves since you're there.

Definitely agree with Clarea and Sailor! We love going in/out of SJU. It is our favorite embarkation port! Airport to pier is easy taxi ride. Taxi line is organized. I would strongly recommend using a porter from baggage claim to the taxi line. As others said though....we prefer to go at least one day ahead. This helps in case of airline delays or delayed baggage. Also, SJU itself is a gorgeous place. Wonderful sights, beaches, and food! Our time usually only allows us to go one day ahead...however, we could easily spend several days...as many folks do! We love SJU!

Ditto to the suggestions above. Go a day early and avoid the stress of a missed flight. Last time we sailed out of SJ we flew out from STL on the same day of the cruise. We made it OK but were wiped out by the time we got on the ship. Will be going out of there again in March 2016. Will go a day early and snag a good deal on a hotel using Priceline. l used it going out of NOLA based on a fellow CC's suggestion, it worked like a charm and I got a great deal. :cool:

I also agree a day earlier is the safer option. However, I have taken a flight at 6.40 from JFK on the day of the cruise.

Fortunately, American Airlines were on time, the taxis were plentiful and I was on-board the Adventure before noon.

Pete.

We went to San Juan a day early last time and going two days early this coming October. The last time we didn't see as much as we wanted to see, thus the reason of going two days early this time. We go to every cruise a day early be it flying or driving. If you read my experience of driving down to Port Canaveral the day before in my recent Enchantment review you will see why I am now a staunch "Day Before" person without a doubt! :cool:

I always advise arriving at least a day before the cruise. The taxi ride from the airport to the port is $20-$25 depending on the number of bags, and takes maybe 15 minutes. Very easy. Bob

I'd agree with Bob's information and advice.

We're taking our 3rd cruise out of San Juan next year. Always a good experience. Getting in the day before takes any travel "stress" out of the overall experience, and there is also plenty to see in Old San Juan or elsewhere prior to the cruise.

Enjoy!

We've sailed out of San Juan 5 times and have always gone a day early. We cruise in March so weather is definitely a concern traveling from upstate NY. Our flight from Rochester usually gets us into San Juan by 1:30. That gives us a few hours to get checked into our hotel and then go visit Old San Juan for a while. By arriving a day early you can also get to the pier early on embarkation day and get an early start to your cruise. This year we got to the pier at 11:15 and were at the Pool Bar at 11:30.

We love cruising out of San Juan.

Your are guaranteed HOT weather when you step off the plane, which we love!

It's not always that warm cruising out of Florida.

We always go down at least one day early so we can explore Old San Juan and if we have time we got out further afield.

Taxis are easy to find, just check the fare with the cabbie as soon as you get in ...

Lots of pre-cruise shopping available, lots of yummy restaurants ... Old San Juan has lots of interesting sites to explore ...

The only thing we don't like about cruising out of San Juan is having to deal with the airport check in/security process when we leave ... there are always long lines, delays (at the airport, not necessarily with the flights) ... but at least after the first time we are always prepared with something to read or work on while we wait!

Agree with Lady Chew...you are guaranteed warmth when you step off the ship. If you fly in the day before, which is advised, you are a 10 minute taxi ride to the hotels in Santurce or Isla Verde. And that is about 10 minutes to the cruise port.

We did a B2B out of San Juan, but flew in the SAME DAY. Talk about nerve racking! We were being treated to this cruise, which we were very grateful, but I will never go out of San Juan (or any other port for that matter) flying on the same day!!!! Just too much can go wrong....

I haven't done it yet but I vote for going down the day before as well. That is what we are going to do. I couldn't chance flying in the day off.

You did not say what time of year you would be cruising. If in winter, it is a no-brainier to fly down one or more days ahead of the cruise. PR has much to offer, e.g., Flamenco Beach on Culebra Isl. via puddle-jumper or ferry- one of the best beaches anywhere.

image.jpg.dafe0897794d8ffe35f2b69b555a67a5.jpg

We have sailed in the day of the cruise to San Juan twice in January, knowing that it is a risk from the northeast in winter. However, we made sure we had insurance and that the ship itinerary the next day was a port stop (St Croix) with a lot of flight options. Both times it worked out fine for us taking an early flight and getting to the ship around noon on embarkation day. Some ships in San Juan don't leave until 8 pm. We just did not want the hassle and expense of extra taxis, meals, and getting a hotel for one night. You would have to decide how disappointed you would be if you missed a day or two of the cruise.

We have sailed in the day of the cruise to San Juan twice in January, knowing that it is a risk from the northeast in winter. However, we made sure we had insurance and that the ship itinerary the next day was a port stop (St Croix) with a lot of flight options. Both times it worked out fine for us taking an early flight and getting to the ship around noon on embarkation day. Some ships in San Juan don't leave until 8 pm. We just did not want the hassle and expense of extra taxis, meals, and getting a hotel for one night. You would have to decide how disappointed you would be if you missed a day or two of the cruise.

I would be extremely disappointed to miss a day or two of the cruise! And the hassle of out of pocket expenses to catch up with the ship by getting a flight to the next port and then trying to get reimbursed by the insurance carrier is not worth it to me. I'd make plans for a night in a hotel, extra taxis and meals and be through with it! And besides leaving from San Juan is like another very good port day! :cool:

Totally agree with going a day ahead of the cruise.

When did the Valor out of San Juan 2 years ago, we made it ok, but the first day was very long and hectic, and over-tiring.

This time around, we have planned a night at a beach guest house at a very reasonable price, and enjoying the extra time in San Juan. Hopefully a lot of the folks on our roll call will be there early too, and a party can be planned. :D

Assuming you are flying non stop from one of the NYC airports, San Juan is one place where you can probably safely fly in the day of as long as you get out on an early flight. The ships all depart late so you have plenty of extra time to get there.

The trip from the airport to the cruise terminal is easy. Plenty of cabs, and the fee is fixed. San Juan is an easy airport.