Celebrity's passport validity requirement

el barato

The short question is will I be denied boarding if my passport expires in less than six months (by 3 days) from the end of our cruise.

Visiting Portugal and Spain with a few extra days in Barcelona before heading home. The US State dept info say US passports need only 90 day validity to enter those countries. My travel agent says she wouldn't chance it.

Any insight would be appreciated. BTW I used the search on this board but didn't find my answer.

The short question is will I be denied boarding if my passport expires in less than six months (by 3 days) from the end of our cruise.

Visiting Portugal and Spain with a few extra days in Barcelona before heading home. The US State dept info say US passports need only 90 day validity to enter those countries. My travel agent says she wouldn't chance it.

Any insight would be appreciated. BTW I used the search on this board but didn't find my answer.

I absolutely wouldn't chance it.

Celebrity's rules are clearly written. Celebrity has final say about boarding- it's their rules.

It absolutely doesn't matter what the US State Department says in that instance.

You have to renew anyway - why not just renew before and have some peace of mind.

Think of it this way. You're going to have to renew it anyway, why not do it now and save worrying about it? I was denied boarding on a cruise once because my passport expired at the end of July for a cruise that we were taking in February. I can't tell you what a hassle it was to get a new passport on just a few days notice so that we could take the cruise.

Boarding is up to Celebrity, and entry into Spain is up to the Spanish government, not the US State Dept. The state dept may advise you based on info they get from Spain, but things could change and ultimately it isn't up to them.

If you ask enough times, will you find someone who says yes you'll absolutely be fine? Yes, almost certainly.

If you go, will you indeed be fine? Probably.

Is that guaranteed? No. Why risk it? go ahead and renew your passport.

I too would not take a chance. There are so many variables that could occur (health issues, etc.) and you wouldn't want to be without a valid passport.

The passport guidelines are not the US State Department rules. The rules of the countries you are visiting govern the expiration date policy. I would not chance it, as I have known several people who did not go on planned trips because they did not have 6 months left on their passport. Just not worth the stress!!!!!

Thank you all for the quick responses. Celebrity's info just said they recommend it have 6 months validity. It did not state boarding will be denied if it doesn't. Also I'm assuming we'll clear Spanish immigration at our first port in Spain and I'll be compliant with the requested 6 month at that point.

Here's my problem. We sail the end of April. I can send a expedited renewal request and should get the new passport in 3 weeks. But I hate to send a perfectly good passport away in the hopes that all will go as scheduled. I don't want to suddenly be without a passport. Fortunately I can visit a nearby (40 miles if that's nearby) passport office but only when we're within 14 days of departure. I'll then have it within 8 days. I at least will have some comfort in hand delivering my current passport. Also just the hassle and expense of expediting it when it still has 6 good months on it is annoying.

And I've still got to file my income tax extension, pay bills through mid May, and pack, etc. I guess there's plenty of time for all that!

Thanks again to all!

Thank you all for the quick responses. Celebrity's info just said they recommend it have 6 months validity. It did not state boarding will be denied if it doesn't. Also I'm assuming we'll clear Spanish immigration at our first port in Spain and I'll be compliant with the requested 6 month at that point.

Here's my problem. We sail the end of April. I can send a expedited renewal request and should get the new passport in 3 weeks. But I hate to send a perfectly good passport away in the hopes that all will go as scheduled. I don't want to suddenly be without a passport. Fortunately I can visit a nearby (40 miles if that's nearby) passport office but only when we're within 14 days of departure. I'll then have it within 8 days. I at least will have some comfort in hand delivering my current passport. Also just the hassle and expense of expediting it when it still has 6 good months on it is annoying.

And I've still got to file my income tax extension, pay bills through mid May, and pack, etc. I guess there's plenty of time for all that!

Thanks again to all!

Use http://www.cibtvisas.com/passports. They'll do the running around for you and stand in lines. All you need is to fedex the passport to them. Of course, all for a cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI it's six months from the end of your journey, not the beginning.

It sounds as if you've made your mind up and are just looking for validation here, despite multiple people telling you that it's not a good idea. You could pay all your bills and file your income tax extension in one hour, I don't see that as being so time-consuming that you couldn't manage to get your passport renewed in that time. Will you probably be okay? Yes, but will be worth the stress? What if you get to the port and they won't let you board? Will it have been worth it then?

If it's helpful, while the individual State Department page for Spain talks about the general 3 month rule for entering the Schengen area, they have a fact sheet that recommends 6 months of validity remaining. The link is below:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/go/schengen-fact-sheet.html

If you are concerned about the amount of time remaining, you can go to (or make an appointment) at your nearest Regional Passport Agency. The rules and locations are here:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies.html

It looks like as long as it's within two weeks of your departure date they can assist.

Even if you just go the standard 'expedited' route, if it gets within two weeks, you can simply call and get a status and they will assist you (at least in my limited experience).

One last problem is getting back into the United States from Europe. The airlines are going to require you to have a valid passport to board. Your last port requires a valid passport and the length of time for a valid passport varies by country. You could be denied transit getting on the ship, off the ship, or on an airplane to fly home. All of this for "wasting about 6-8 months on a passport that cost you under $20 per YEAR! Crazy idea. How much would it cost you if you cannot get off the ship in Europe?

Your passport is completely fine and you shouldn't worry. You're only going to Spain and Portugal both of which say that your travel docs must be valid for 3 months beyond the period of intended stay and yours is valid 5 months and 3 1/2 weeks past your intended stay. Different countries have different rules, some say the passport only has to be valid for the period of your stay and others say it must be valid for 6 months. I don't know why people need to panic unnecessarily when there are far worse things to worry about. Your travel agent is just being lazy.

I had an e-mail exchange with Celebrity on this same subject so I would have it in writing. They only require that your passport be valid through the time you leave the ship. Spain and Portugal only require 3 months, so you will be fine. I went on my trip with no problems and renewed my passport when I returned.

Your passport is completely fine and you shouldn't worry. You're only going to Spain and Portugal both of which say that your travel docs must be valid for 3 months beyond the period of intended stay and yours is valid 5 months and 3 1/2 weeks past your intended stay. Different countries have different rules, some say the passport only has to be valid for the period of your stay and others say it must be valid for 6 months. I don't know why people need to panic unnecessarily when there are far worse things to worry about. Your travel agent is just being lazy.

How is that? What is the travel agent doing wrong? It's not up to him/her to look into this - it's always the passenger's responsibility. I believe the TA is playing it safe, which is what I would also recommend. I'd much rather "waste" about $14 by getting the passport early.

How is that? What is the travel agent doing wrong? It's not up to him/her to look into this - it's always the passenger's responsibility. I believe the TA is playing it safe, which is what I would also recommend. I'd much rather "waste" about $14 by getting the passport early.

What has "playing it safe" got to do with anything? This is not an issue with fuzzy edges - there are clear and concise terms and conditions which the OP fulfills and therefore the answer to his question is not "do the inconvenient thing because it's easier to fudge than to give you a straight answer" but rather "the answer is yes renew your passport when you get home if that's what you want to do." The travel agent is paid to provide a profession service which includes visa and passport advice imho - not come up with a vague response which absolves them of any responsibility.

I can send a expedited renewal request and should get the new passport in 3 weeks.

I recently renewed mine, and while I was reasonably certain it would be sent before an international flight I have scheduled in a few weeks, I opted for the expedited service so that I wouldn't stress over it. It arrived 11 days later.

What has "playing it safe" got to do with anything? This is not an issue with fuzzy edges - there are clear and concise terms and conditions which the OP fulfills and therefore the answer to his question is not "do the inconvenient thing because it's easier to fudge than to give you a straight answer" but rather "the answer is yes renew your passport when you get home if that's what you want to do." The travel agent is paid to provide a profession service which includes visa and passport advice imho - not come up with a vague response which absolves them of any responsibility.

Generally Travel Agents will NOT give passport and visa advice, and instead will refer you to a passport/visa service (usually one from which they earn a referral commission.)

The OP may be 100% correct, and within all the rules and requirements of Celebrity. However, it only takes one person at the pier to turn this into an uncomfortable, inconvenient, or expensive mistake.

I would take the conservative route, as others have recommended, and then there will be no worries.

Again thanks to all for your insights. I'll just to the conservative thing and renew. Yes, my biggest concern is not Celebrity's, Portugal's, Spain's or the State Dept's regulations, it's that "one person on the pier" thing that worries me.

I've run into this situation twice. Once with Princess and once with Celebrity. In both cases I was confident that the 6 mth policy was incorrect. I reviewed the requirements of all the countries we were visiting and none had that requirement.

I weighed the pros and cons and decided that even if I was right, the worse case scenario would be for Celebrity to deny me boarding based on their rules. I renewed my passport early both times.

And although this shouldn't change things, the Celebrity webside won't let you complete your documents online unless you meet this requirement.

You may not need to renew it, but why take the chance?

Again thanks to all for your insights. I'll just to the conservative thing and renew. Yes, my biggest concern is not Celebrity's, Portugal's, Spain's or the State Dept's regulations, it's that "one person on the pier" thing that worries me.

Whatever floats your boat :D

I don't look at travel on the basis of what would happen if I meet a lunatic at the pier. I believe people fret unnecessarily over these things at times, places like Spain and Portugal are not inclined to randomly change regulations. But then some people love to worry - which is why we see people arriving in South Africa having been told "just to be on the safe side" to get yellow fever and typhoid shots which would be as useful as me getting them to go to the USA - ie no use at all. :rolleyes:

Whatever floats your boat :D

I don't look at travel on the basis of what would happen if I meet a lunatic at the pier. I believe people fret unnecessarily over these things at times, places like Spain and Portugal are not inclined to randomly change regulations. But then some people love to worry - which is why we see people arriving in South Africa having been told "just to be on the safe side" to get yellow fever and typhoid shots which would be as useful as me getting them to go to the USA - ie no use at all. :rolleyes:

The point is that the OP has to renew anyway, may as well do it now and get it over with. So it's not a waste, it has to be done, may as well do it now and erase any possibility of an issue, even though that possibility may be slight.

the worse case scenario would be for Celebrity to deny me boarding based on their rules.

It occurs to me that a cruise line may have a 6 month rule, even when the countries on the itinerary do not, because they are being cautious in case something happens last minute that causes the itinerary to change.

Edited by waterbug123

You will note on just about every invoice issued by travel agents AND by almost all cruise lines that it is the passenger's responsibility to make sure their travel documentation is current and all applicable visas are obtained prior to the trip, not the travel agent's responsibility.

What happens if the OP has an accident and ends up in the hospital for a week? You have to prepare for every possibility and to worry about wasting $14 on a $20,000 vacation is ridiculous.