I LOVE HAL and most here know it......

sail7seas

But I booked a suite on NCL today.

Friends are sailing a date that works for me, it will be my first time sailing solo and I am not up to sailing HAL yet without my DH. Were crew to ask 'where's Sir Robert', it would be very hard for me. I know if I don't sail soon, I might never and I don't want that to happen.

I won't have to worry about losing use of my veranda due to a neighboring smoker which would be a BIG factor for me. I am not willing to take a chance on losing use of my verandah because of smokers.

Please, wish me luck. :o I hope I made a good choice.

Dear Sail, this post made me very happy overall and we know you have been struggling with this. It will be an adjustment but the blessing is that you and your friends will share memories and the experience together. What itinerary are you doing? Enjoy the SUITE life. Just remember there are a lot of us wishing you the best.

Edited by qsuzi

What ship are you sailing on, and what kind of a suite have you booked?

Suites on NCL are quite special. You will be looked after royally, will enjoy the perks that come with the suite. It's wonderful that you are taking a cruise with a different line. HAL is my cruise line of choice, but I have enjoyed every cruise taken with NCL - especially in a suite!

But I booked a suite on NCL today.

Friends are sailing a date that works for me, it will be my first time sailing solo and I am not up to sailing HAL yet without my DH. Were crew to ask 'where's Sir Robert', it would be very hard for me. I know if I don't sail soon, I might never and I don't want that to happen.

I won't have to worry about losing use of my veranda due to a neighboring smoker which would be a BIG factor for me. I am not willing to take a chance on losing use of my verandah because of smokers.

Please, wish me luck. :o I hope I made a good choice.

You go girl!!!!

You will have a wonderful time. Your the one who I always listen to on HAL. We are sitting at DFW waiting for our flight back to San Diego from our wonderful 2 week Carribean cruise on the Nieuw, and we are also looking at maybe doing the Viking Ocean in 2016 to the Med. Because it works for us on the dates. We still did a deposit for another cruise but Eurodam will be in Europe in 2016 and the dates do not work. You will enjoy NCL.

Hey....I know you don't know me.....but I have read on here about you and your DH and my prayers are with you. My father passed away 10 days ago and my mom had been with him for 54 years. I'm not sure i have a right to ever offer someone advice when dealing with a situation that I have not personally experienced. BUT..I just told her yesterday.....I don't know how you ever get over someone who was such a big part of your life....but, I think you do learn a new "normal". And, that as you figure out that new normal, there is NO right or wrong.....no reason to feel quilty or to worry about what other people think .....you have to do whatever you have to do to allow you to get through another new day. I think a trip with friends wil be a wonderful way to get you out traveling again but going with a new normal. I told my mom that when she feels ready to plan something , let me know. Again, hope I'm not overstepping here but I will keep you in my prayers and am wishing you a wonderful (if bittersweet ) cruise....Good Luck!!!!

Tanya

What lovely posts. They are most appreciated.

My DH and I were a couple since we were 20 years old. We were together our whole adult lives so everything I do now is new and different and when one is 65 (or older :), that isn't easy. Millions of others before me have found a new path and all I can do is work on finding one that works for me.

Tanya....... beautiful post and, of course, you did not overstep your bounds. My sincere condolences on the loss of your Dad. It is never easy losing a parent. Your Mom is lucky to have you to help her along. All my best wishes to you and yours you find peace in your memories.

I booked a Penthouse Suite as they are called on NCL on Dawn sailing to Bermuda from Boston. :) The Penthouse on NCL is not as large as HAL's. :) That would be too much for me to rumble around on my own.

You go girl!!!!

You will have a wonderful time. Your the one who I always listen to on HAL. We are sitting at DFW waiting for our flight back to San Diego from our wonderful 2 week Carribean cruise on the Nieuw, and we are also looking at maybe doing the Viking Ocean in 2016 to the Med. Because it works for us on the dates. We still did a deposit for another cruise but Eurodam will be in Europe in 2016 and the dates do not work. You will enjoy NCL.

Travel home safely and please post some comments about your two weeks in the Caribbean. Sure sounds appealing right about now. :)

I booked a Penthouse Suite as they are called on NCL on Dawn sailing to Bermuda from Boston. :) The Penthouse on NCL is not as large as HAL's. :) That would be too much for me to rumble around on my own.

We have had 4 cruises on NCL so far, and we enjoyed them all. We are taking our next cruise with HAL out of Boston because I've always wanted to dock on Front Street and we decided it was time to try something new. We would cruise with NCL again for the right intinerary and are looking at B2B Canada-New England and then onto Bermuda for September 2016. We've done 4 Boston to Bermuda cruises with NCL and look forward to trying HAL this time. You will especially like the suite life on NCL, they treat their suite guests very well. We found the Dawn to be very clean and easy to find our way around.

Lorie

Good for you, Judy. I'm so happy you made the decision. That's the first step. You will have friends with you and Bermuda is such a beautiful island. Last time we were there, we hired a driver before hand ( using the Bermuda board for info) and he took us all over the island.

I just checked and we used: colinjenningstaxi@yahoo.com He met us at the ship, was a wonderful guide, and I would recommend him if you want to tour around the island.

Edited by mamaofami

I too am really proud of you for diving back into cruising.

The lack of fixed seating dining on NCL is our hold-back with them as we normally chose a fixed table for 6 or 8 ... BUT .... cruising with friends, as you are, would negate that since you'd want to sit together fixed or not :D

I believe that sailing a totally different line is a great idea. At our table in March was a lovely lady who was sailing with her 2 grown daughters for the first time after her DH of many years passed away a year ago. It was difficult as much as bittersweet since everywhere she went on the ship brought back memories. It seemed to get easier as the week went on ... I admired her strength and determination .... as I do yours :)

Good for you :)

NCL treats their suite passengers well with Cagneys for lunch and breakfast I believe along with a few other perks.

We sailed NCL regularly for a few years and really enjoyed it.

I hope you do too.

Sail .... Good for you! Less bittersweet memories on a totally different cruise line.

On NCL the key is to book a suite (which you already have) and to have dinner in one of their $pecialty dining rooms every night! ;)

Look forward to "walking on water" once again. :)

LuLu

Sail .... Good for you! Less bittersweet memories on a totally different cruise line.

On NCL the key is to book a suite (which you already have) and to have dinner in one of their $pecialty dining rooms every night! ;)

Look forward to "walking on water" once again. :)

LuLu

NCL has a special deal going on and booking the suite included dinner at all specialty restaurants. Nice feature. :) Of course, I'll see where my friends wish to dine but I suspect we won't be in the MDR. :) Today is the last day of their special so I'm happy I got it. It includes auto charged gratuities, the dining around program and unlimited beverages with a shipboard credit. I like that !!! :)

Thanks for all the really nice posts. It's encouraging. I'm grateful I have such nice friends who invited me to sail with them.