I LOVE HAL and most here know it......

sail7seas

I know you love HAL, look at all those stars you have:), when reading the posts I automatically recognize you and read what you have to say. Your memories will always be with you and your many travels with your husband.

I'm sure you will feel bittersweet as you prepare for your journey. Although we have not met I wish you happy sailing and look forward to reading of your adventures.

My best to you...

A big pat on the back for you for getting back to something that has always meant so much to you. Yes it will be different, and while it may not all be fun, it will create new memories for you to enjoy after. I wish you a wonderful cruise.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I hope you have a wonderful cruise! I, too, think sailing a different line will be good for you. After my father passed away, we did something totally different for that first Christmas and many of the other "firsts" during that following year. I think by switching it up a little, or a lot, helps you get through that year of "firsts" without your beloved, at least, it did for my mother.

One day, hopefully, you'll be able to sail HAL again and will rejoice in the memories.

Sail .... Good for you! Less bittersweet memories on a totally different cruise line.

On NCL the key is to book a suite (which you already have) and to have dinner in one of their $pecialty dining rooms every night! ;)

Look forward to "walking on water" once again. :)

LuLu

You are correct about this. Although for breakfast and lunch both the Lido and MDR are good. On our last cruise the Lido seemed especially good, like they tweaked the service or something. But we found the specialty restaurants were the way to go concerning dinner. We opted for Cagney's and the Brazilian Steakhouse, both were excellent. We didn't care for the French restaurant Le Bistro last cruise, but we tried it our previous cruise and it was good, so that cruise week may have been just a bump in the road regarding service at that one venue. The Italian restaurant La Cucina is worth trying as well. And if they do the Chef's Table specialty dinner, that was always AMAZING for people who like that sort of thing, much like we do. :)

Lorie

edited to add: We really liked the entertainment on NCL. The showroom is comfortable to sit and watch shows, and the shows we saw were really good, and music volume is just right most of the time. Good entertainment in piano bar and around the pool too.

Edited by galensgrl
typo & add info

I am really surprised to hear you picked NCL, but it makes sense to do your first solo cruise with friends - so really it won't feel like you are alone. It must have been a big decision for you and I hope you have a good time.

Congratulations on taking this first step. It's a biggie. You've made a good choice, for any number of reasons.

Have a nice time.

Ruth stole my words.

You'll have a tremendous trip, congrats on taking the leap.

Thank you all the nice messages. Makes me feel maybe I did make a good decision. :)

I plan to try hard to not compare but it is inevitable to some extent. After all, I compare each HAL ship to another why wouldn't I compare another cruise line I've never sailed before? :D

Sail, you are the only one that knows what you are ready to do and going with friends will surely make this first solo cruise a little bit easier. I can understand wanting to do something familiar without "duplicating" experiences you had with your husband for now.

Friends have been on NCL and on their first cruise they were upgraded to a suite and enjoyed it so much that on their next cruise another NCL they would only do it in a suite. Now they are interested in joining us on a RSVP cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam and by the time they are able to book (those on this year's cruise got first dibs, then RSVP alumni next and suites go fast) they may not get one so it will be interesting.

Wishing you all the best in this big step and that you will have a great cruise.

Hi Sail,

Congratulations on booking your cruise. I think you have made a very wise choice by choosing not to sail HAL on your first cruise without your DH. It will be very difficult, but you are very fortunate to have such lovely friends to sail with. You can start a new "cruise book of new memories" not to replace the old ones but to begin the new ones.

10 years ago my dad lost my mum after 55 years. He is about to celebrate his 93rd birthday on Saturday. He has just come back from a circumnavigation cruise around Australia which he shared with a friend. He has new memories too.

Enjoy your cruise and may it be filled with laughter and happiness.

Jen.:)

But I booked a suite on NCL today.

Friends are sailing a date that works for me, it will be my first time sailing solo and I am not up to sailing HAL yet without my DH. Were crew to ask 'where's Sir Robert', it would be very hard for me. I know if I don't sail soon, I might never and I don't want that to happen.

I won't have to worry about losing use of my veranda due to a neighboring smoker which would be a BIG factor for me. I am not willing to take a chance on losing use of my verandah because of smokers.

Please, wish me luck. :o I hope I made a good choice.

I wish you the very best and have wondered how I would handle the situation if it works that way for me. We sail both HAL and NCL and I think you will enjoy that cruise as well. We've only had a suite once and it was really special. Godspeed!