Camera...

BigJH

Do they sell cameras on board Caribbean Princess and if so, what make? I'm looking for a Nikon DSLR for my daughter, hoping that the exchange rate might work in my favour...

Thanks

I can't imagine that you would ever get a better price on a cruise ship for a camera than you could at home. Even though your exchange rate may seem to be good - consider things like warranty, returns etc which is much harder to get thru a contract company on the ship than it is from your home town dealer.

Possibly? You could get a good deal on one of the Islands though. Same problem arises with warranty and returns. You really have to know the market at home and compare. Have had friends from the US say they've gotten a great deal... but really knew their pricing.

It's not Princess selling the cameras, It's the photography concessionaire. Some prices better than online, some worse.

FYI....All of the employees in the photo department work for Princess. I know this because I used to be a Professional Photographer before and I sometimes chat with the photo staff and was talking to the video photographer one day and when I asked he said that they were employed by Princess. On HAL & RCI I was told that they were an outside concessionaire.

I would first find someone from a roll call from the ship that you will be crusing on and see if they can price some of the Nikon DSL cameras that they are selling and then you can compare them to outside prices before you sale. If you have some models in mind you could have someone look for those.

Please let us know what you find out.

Tom😎

Edited by trbarton

Do they sell cameras on board Caribbean Princess and if so, what make? I'm looking for a Nikon DSLR for my daughter, hoping that the exchange rate might work in my favour...

You will probably be able to find something like a Nikon D3200.

My observation is that they usually have something low-end, and

one generation out of date (D3200 rather than D3300); and at

a high price compared to US retail.

The memory cards they sell are painfully overpriced compared to land.

And it is only going to be Nikon on Princess and most other lines. All photos taken on the ship by the For Sale Photo Folks are done with Nikon cameras. The only other brand I have seen is GoPro and it was the current generation when I bought it. Yes memory cards are $$$$ on the ship. Get them at Best Buy before sailing! I am a Canon man for the last 40 years and bought my first GoPro on my last cruise in the Eastern Med. It was awesome. YMMV.

As noted, they only have Nikons for the most part - its a partnership. They have a decent, but not huge selection. If you are looking for an inexpensive to midrange point and shoot you would probably be ok, they had a decent price on the Coolpix 7000 when last I cruised. For anything more complex, I probably would shop local to get warranty service, etc if needed direct.

On the Ruby, the GoPros were the same as here back home. It seems the price is locked on those times. I was looking for a new Tough series before the trip and came up dry. Looked on the ship but as everyone says just Nikon and I thought their pricing was out of line with back her or say Amazon. I do some homework before going. An unrelated topic, I purchased a Citizen Eco Drive before the trip and it was $80 cheaper on board and the islands. I was surprised. However coming back, my jeweler whom I trust, said they could have been factory returns and sell for less.

Thanks

I was on Star Princess just two weeks ago - it's all Nikon kit.

The only DSLR on offer was the D3300 at $399.99- if I clocked the price correctly, and that would be the standard lens package.

The battery charger would be unsuitable for UK sockets ?

If you are interested I suggest you contact Princess direct for price confirmation and to check warranty etc. issues.

Didn't strike me as a particularly good bargain, though I wasn't focused on buying a new camera.

As for prices on Princess - my everyday Citizen eco-drive watch which I bought locally in a UK High Street chain store was cheaper than the exact same model in the ship's duty free range.

Thanks for all of your comments and advice - as it happens I was looking at either the D3300 or D5500 for my daughter as she has just started secondary school and has taken an interest. The $399 price seems quite competitive especially if with the kit lens, as this equates to around £270. Currently they are selling for £389. In Currys which is about an average price for them. One question, will I have to add sales tax on top of that or pay extra when I disembark back in the UK?

Yes they have a photography camera sales group on board. I was just looking at them last week on the Emerald. On all of the ships we have been on they rep Nikon.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean

Yes.

There are plenty of choices from basic P&S to mid-priced DSLR&smsold onboard. However, I would advise against buying a camera on board. Buy a camera before you embark on the cruise.

Why? Better pricing. Plus it will allow you time to learn your camera operation before the cruise. Not fumbling around with your camera when you try during your cruise to take pictures before understanding the menu, controls, and nuances of your camera. Or learning how to shut off the annoying flash when trying to take pictures or videos under available light.

You will probably be able to find something like a Nikon D3200.

My observation is that they usually have something low-end, and

one generation out of date (D3200 rather than D3300); and at

a high price compared to US retail.

The memory cards they sell are painfully overpriced compared to land.

That has been my experience. Several cruises ago I jotted down some of their prices for Nikons and then compared them to some of the online retailers. All of the ship's prices were higher. Now, I don't know if Princess adds sales tax, but the online retailers did not - and they also threw in a few freebies - extra battery, carrying case, etc.

I was on Star Princess just two weeks ago - it's all Nikon kit.

The only DSLR on offer was the D3300 at $399.99- if I clocked the price correctly, and that would be the standard lens package.

The battery charger would be unsuitable for UK sockets ?

If you are interested I suggest you contact Princess direct for price confirmation and to check warranty etc. issues.

Didn't strike me as a particularly good bargain, though I wasn't focused on buying a new camera.

As for prices on Princess - my everyday Citizen eco-drive watch which I bought locally in a UK High Street chain store was cheaper than the exact same model in the ship's duty free range.

Online price for a D3300 in the US is $359. No tax, free shipping.

"One question, will I have to add sales tax on top of that or pay extra when I disembark back in the UK?"

Interesting question Jason.

Which country(ies) will you be re-entering immediately your cruise ends ?

We finished in the USA and then flew back to the UK.

If I'd bought a camera onboard then perhaps I would have been due import duties in both countries ? Not sure how that works in detail.

You won't pay sales tax onboard, regardless of which cruise itinerary you are on.

The only time I've been quizzed by customs on disembarkation was at Southampton, and the HMR&C fella enquired about my Olympus DSLR camera - bought a couple of years earlier in the UK.

As others have pointed out, the Princess onboard prices for cameras can be beaten in US photography outlets.

I doubt if Nikon UK would be too ready to honour a warranty for equipment purchased elsewhere.

I bought a D3100 DSLR body with non standard lens a couple of years ago, and when I came to register it the serial numbers and retailer details confirmed to them that it was bought from an approved Nikon dealer in the UK.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

my everyday Citizen eco-drive watch which I bought locally in a UK High Street chain store

We bought two eco-drive watches in St Thomas for little more than Princess was asking for one.

I have not noticed any great deals in cameras or binoculars on Princess.

There used to be customs taxes (tariffs) on many items from cameras to perfume in many countries.

"Duty-free" then meant there were savings to be had with no tariffs included in the price. Thus the duty-free language on ships and the many duty-free shops in International airports.

However, duty-free does not mean discount. Most items sold "duty-free" are at full manufacturer's suggest retail price. And in countries which do not have the tariffs, the concept of duty-free is just a marketing term as there are no tariffs to take off from the retail price.

Since many items can be found at a discount pricing in the USA and no doubt in many other countries, discount pricing on land, even with local sales taxes or VAT added, often works out to less than the full retail price on a cruise ship or in an airport duty-free shop.

There used to be customs taxes (tariffs) on many items from cameras to perfume in many countries.

"Duty-free" then meant there were savings to be had with no tariffs included in the price. Thus the duty-free language on ships and the many duty-free shops in International airports.

However, duty-free does not mean discount. Most items sold "duty-free" are at full manufacturer's suggest retail price. And in countries which do not have the tariffs, the concept of duty-free is just a marketing term as there are no tariffs to take off from the retail price.

Since many items can be found at a discount pricing in the USA and no doubt in many other countries, discount pricing on land, even with local sales taxes or VAT added, often works out to less than the full retail price on a cruise ship or in an airport duty-free shop.

We found this out last cruise on all of the islands. Pricing out hard external hard drives & a Chromecast unit I found that the similar units in the US for hard drives were around $15 or so more and the Chromecast unit was almost double in St Thomas....$65. :eek: I wouldn't doubt that the same holds true for cameras.

You will need to declare the camera at customs. And pay vat and any other duties. If your daughter plans to take it abroad and is stopped by customs they will be able to check to see if duty has been paid I found this out when I brought a camera through that I purchased in Australia.

Currys are an expensive place to buy cameras. I have just bought a Canon Eos 70d Currys want £750 just for the body I found a package with several lenses and filters, bags etc on ebay for £800. (a saving of £700 on retail prices) so look around on the internet you will probably find a much better deal there.