FOOD - Live from the Mariner - April 2 - 20

That steak and onion rings is awful looking. There is no presentation going on with that plate. I hate the Outback, but their steak and onion rings look much better than that! Same with the crab legs, we didn't like prime 7 five years ago- doesn't look like it has improved. Very disappointing - looks we need to order two meals each and pick over the good bits!

As a reminder of the service and food in the Terrace Cafe on Oceania, we had spaghetti "cooked" in cold water while we waited in a long line to get the cold spaghetti. Unlike Regent, it was not delivered to your table. A server tried to pry open a clam that was not cooked long enough to open (dangerous thing to do). You cannot serve yourself which can be frustrating when you want a certain piece of food or a small (or large) portion. So, as bad as LV was today, I do not find Oceania to be any better.

Point of order... you really should not feel compelled to slam O when you find things awry on RSSC. :cool:

...but I agree that that is one sad looking meal for a so-called specialty restaurant.

Edited by computerworks

None of these pictures are making things any better!

That is dreadful looking food presented in an appalling, unprofessional manner. That is not what I expect from P & O let alone Regent.

What a difference a ship makes ........ I just had a look at Gilly's blog to be found on the Voyager Hong Kong thread ..... The food looks very well presented and her comments reflect that it tastes pretty good too. This is more like it! Thankfully we will be on Voyager, so very happy (and relieved) to read her comments and see her photos.

Have you had any feedback from senior management TC2?

The bread selection looks nice, and the shrimp cocktail. I've never thought to ask for the shrimp lightly grilled, I am going to from now on as I often find the shrimp too cold and therefore sometimes quite tasteless. I have to say I would probably enjoy that French onion soup as I love grilled cheese (the more the better!!! ;)) but it's really too much cheese for that soup!

Happy Easter to you TC2, hope you enjoyed your Champagne and Caviar! :) I'm about to start munching on a lovely Lindt Chocolate Easter Egg! And I'm not sharing it with anyone, no matter how much they beg!!! LOL!

Point of order... you really should not feel compelled to slam O when you find things awry on RSSC. :cool:

...but I agree that that is one sad looking meal for a so-called specialty restaurant.

Sorry..... but, as you know, I don't care for the Terrace Cafe and I'm comparing it to LV. For better or worse, I am giving my opinion of food and food is so objective. Most Oceania cruisers love the Terrace Cafe. Truly did not want to offend you.

Obviously, based on last night's meal, Polo is superior to P7. And, Compass Rose is better than Oceania's Grand Dining Room. It must be said that the GDR on the Riviera is miles more beautiful than CR. My opinions of course.

Need to take a picture of breakfast now. Forgot to take a picture of caviar.

TC - sorry you had a bad experience in P7, but it is just what i wrote about on our cruise. We fully detailed it in our cruise comments. Seems no improvement in the last month. I agree the wine service was the best part of our two P7 visits. Hope it improves for you.

On the flip side, our Signature visits had outstanding service and wonderful food.

Having just returned from a cruise on O's Riviera, there is no contest as to which food service is better presented.

The food on "O" is better presented and tastes great.

The buffet in the Terrace on "O" is far better than what we see here.

Some of the plates shown above are terrible to look at. I do better at home than the food shown here.

The Porterhouse steak shown is missing the best part, the filet......where is it?

We have sailed on the Voyager a few times and don't remember the food to look this unappealing.

We will gladly stay on the Riviera and enjoy being served from beautifully presented platters and individual plates.

Unfortunately, my posts could be upsetting to people that sail both Oceania and Regent. I have not spoken with Franck Galzy yet -- he will definitely not be pleased by what I am posting but I will continue to "tell it like I see it". My DH wanted me to mention that the BBQ photos and the presentation of their food is not the normal presentation -- it is done outside for their BBQ's only. Oceania does not have the many "themed" BBQ's that Regent has. I assume that they will do a "special" BBQ outside as they typically do. The presentation for that BBQ is amazing. I'll definitely photograph it.

Caviar, champagne, bagels and smoked salmon breakfast in CR was great. Service was better than the other day (faster).

Must agree that there have been some negatives. I expect to see (and hopefully photograph) food that will be much more appealing to everyone. It has been my experience that La Veranda is superior to the Terrace Cafe. In fact, it is the Terrace Cafe and Grand Dining Room on Oceania that may prevent us from sailing Oceania again. On this cruise, LV has not been as good as normal..... not sure why and certainly not blaming NCL.

Lunch today will be fish and chips in CR. Dinner also in CR where I plan to have rack of lamb (one of the dishes from Signatures that is served in CR).

Hope future posts will be better.

Your smoked salmon breakfast looked very nice - I'm sure it went down well, especially with the champagne! One of my favourite breakfasts, but with Scottish Smoked salmon of course! ;):p:D.

Please do continue to "tell it like it is"! If the barbecue presentation shown on your photographs is not their "normal" presentation, how on earth did this happen? It was truly bad.

But I do hope the feedback you've given - most important as it is affecting your holiday - and the comments we've made from the comfort of our armchairs, will be read and acted on by the team on board Mariner, as this does not showcase their food offerings in the best possible light at all!

If we had not already booked our cruise and would lose our deposit if we cancelled, I doubt very much that we would book Regent based on this thread.

I'm a poor one to comment on food because I live on a restricted diet of fruit, salad (no dressing), brown bread, fish/shell fish, and normally only appetizer portions. However, I am married to a very, good cook who is a great baker. Her advice/comments on this thread (based upon 6 Regent cruises):

Pastas at lunch are usually superb and served hot in LV.

Carving station at lunch at LV often has wonderful fare

Regent over-dresses their salads; get dressing on the side.

Regent (or their process) doesn't offer decent baked potatoes truffle fries have been great in P7.

Avoid the lamb chops and order the wonderful rack of lamb.

CR service is slow for breakfast and for lunch.

Very nice Bernaise sauce is always available at dinner ask for it.

baked goods have improved but cup cakes are almost always "dense".

Order a thicker cut of roast beef in CR or you will get sandwich-thin slice.

Recently, we've had much better meals in Signatures than P7!

We agree that the cheese soufflé has been marvelous.

Please do continue to "tell it like it is"! If the barbecue presentation shown on your photographs is not their "normal" presentation, how on earth did this happen? It was truly bad. d.

I think I would give Regent the benefit of the doubt on this one. Being very familiar with the restaurant business and having a husband for a chef...most likely the different cuts of BBQ meats are cooked off in the kitchen and placed in the regular stainless hotel pan. As the order is taken, the cook will finish them off on the grill as needed, sans skewer, to be plated with the rest of the order. In essence, those pans show an unfinished product. Hope this helps.

Thanks TravelCat and CapsLock - our liquor questions have now been answered - our tastes are pretty much beer for me and wine for my wife. She does have a Long Island on hot afternoons and a Cosmo before dinner and we just wanted to know what is included. The beer selection on Princess is minimal at best and is one thing I have always disliked.

Thanks for the photos of the food. I have to say that the food at the steakhouse on Princess looks more appealing that this - plus I also agree with the "where is the filet"??? This one looks anemic and unappealing. We are lookng forward to the rest of your cruise. Thanks again for reporting.

I think I would give Regent the benefit of the doubt on this one. Being very familiar with the restaurant business and having a husband for a chef...most likely the different cuts of BBQ meats are cooked off in the kitchen and placed in the regular stainless hotel pan. As the order is taken, the cook will finish them off on the grill as needed, sans skewer, to be plated with the rest of the order. In essence, those pans show an unfinished product. Hope this helps.

Yes I truly understand this barbecue preparation and that the food was to be finished off on the grill (from my long career in the hospitality business) - but my comment was that these actual chafing dishes as photographed by TC2 belong in the kitchen, and should not be seen by guests - it is not a very appealing display shown. The food may be ok, but the presentation is not. Maybe if we had seen the whole barbecue/buffet area it may have looked different in context.

As explained earlier, alcoholic drinks are included ... Long Island iced tea, Cosmo, chocolate martinis ..... anything that they have ingredients for. If you have a preference for brand, most are included. If I were having a Long Island, I would have them use Grey Goose vodka, Patron tequila, etc.

Fizzy, what you described for BBQ's is typical on Regent but is not what happened yesterday. I was served lamb chops from the steel hotel pan. Not sure what was going on but it was not typical. There was not much more to photograph yesterday. I showed meats and salads outside. Could not show rice, beans, empanatas, etc as they were in chafing dishes (closed) and were being served to guests rather than helping yourself. Will definitely photograph more outside BBQ s.

About to be served the fish and chips.

Edited by Travelcat2

Yes I truly understand this barbecue preparation and that the food was to be finished off on the grill (from my long career in the hospitality business) - but my comment was that these actual chafing dishes as photographed by TC2 belong in the kitchen, and should not be seen by guests - it is not a very appealing display shown. The food may be ok, but the presentation is not. Maybe if we had seen the whole barbecue/buffet area it may have looked different in context.

that 2 people with extensive experience in the hospitality industry have 2 different opinions. I don.t believe that the hotel pans were any part of a display any more than tools such as tongs or spatulas. I certainly hope things turn around regarding other stumbles.

that 2 people with extensive experience in the hospitality industry have 2 different opinions. I don.t believe that the hotel pans were any part of a display any more than tools such as tongs or spatulas. I certainly hope things turn around regarding other stumbles.

I went to LV after lunch to take a couple of pictures. Things are back to "normal". The hotel pans are next to the grill - just as they were supposed to be. Again, not sure what happened yesterday. A definite "stumble".

DeepFreeze63, your post was also right on. Fortunately there is rack of lamb on the CR menu tonight.

Our fish and chips lunch was very good but is, IMO, better in LV because you can pick your pieces of fish. The fries aren't truly English -- more like steak fries but they are fine -- I don't eat many fries anyway. Had 1 scoop of ice cream with Kahlua again -- this is definitely not a good habit that I have (also the French Coffee and Chocolate Martinis). After losing 12 pounds, it is likely that I will put it back on. Not a happy thought!

Nap time!

Edited by Travelcat2

Sorry but no matter how the food looks or tastes, if you are not a photographer of food and don't have the right tools, even a meal at a Michelin starred restaurant will not look appetizing. You can't cook a meal without the right pots and pans and spices, nor does a Kindle take a decent photograph. Lighting of food is very important - and most of these snapshots don't do it justice.