Boring poolside atmosphere

Scotto97

Most of us that are requesting a more lively pool atmosphere are only talking about one pool (Neptune) out of 3 or 4 onboard.

Certainly the Lotus (Spa) Pool and the aft pool should be enough area (Along with the optional Sanctuary) to please those that prefer a quiet poolside.

Does every pool on Princess need to be boring?

Although I'm one of those who likes to read quietly I don't expect Neptune to be a quiet area. When I read by the pool (actually I usually pick the deck above the pool) I do it in the Calypso area. I kind of expect bands, cruise director activities, MUTS, etc. in the Neptune pool area. It sounds like your particular cruise didn't have much for you.

I have to agree with some others here that it may be due to Bob Leininger as CD. However, it could probably have been worse. You could have had JJ Ulrich... :eek:

[font=Calibri

Now we're stuck between Carnival with a crowd that wears baseball hats and basketball jerseys to the dining room, or Princess that puts us to sleep with their lack of an active pool atmosphere on sea days.

Well, "stuck" seems a bit excessive. There are cruise line other than Princess, Carnival and Holland America. Have you sampled all of them? Have you ever considered that there might be a correlation between an "active pool atmosphere" and the wearing of "baseball hats and basketball jerseys to the dining room"?

Well, "stuck" seems a bit excessive. There are cruise line other than Princess, Carnival and Holland America. Have you sampled all of them? Have you ever considered that there might be a correlation between an "active pool atmosphere" and the wearing of "baseball hats and basketball jerseys to the dining room"?

So Shredie - it's impossible for you to believe that educated, successful, classy & well-dressed people may appreciate a rock-n-roll or dance band playing poolside along with some fun CD directed games ?

We are out there, and our demographic is the future of Princess cruises

Again, we've been traveling on Princess for over 15 years, and it seems the line is becoming more and more conservative as time goes on.

I believe they're losing the market segmentation between Carnival and Holland America, which is not good for them long term.

Some of the most entertaining cruise guests have been the "older" guests. I love watching people having fun, listening to music & you can't have a cruise without an awesome hairy chest competition:D there are plenty of quiet relaxing places on the ship IMO the pool area is not that place.. We will be very disappointed if this is the direction Princess is going! Ps I don't like the perception of people liking a fun atmosphere=less class..I also like to relax & read while cruising but those are the times I find a quiet place on the ship to do so. The ship is full of all different types of people & that is what makes cruising so fun!

So Shredie - it's impossible for you to believe that educated, successful, classy & well-dressed people may appreciate a rock-n-roll or dance band playing poolside along with some fun CD directed games ?

Again, we've been traveling on Princess for over 15 years, and it seems the line is becoming more and more conservative as time goes on.

I believe they're losing the market segmentation between Carnival and Holland America, which is not good for them long term.

Scott, I so agree with you. We love Princess, but are in our low to mid 50's.Also like the music that is from our time. Don't like to listen to something from before our time. We are not Seniors yet. Just above going on going on Carnival. If you don't like Princess, move onto Holland.

A variety of music would work for the masses...none of us expect heavy metal, rap or opera. Chamber music? Seriously?

The minute you start making value judgments that elevates one style of music over another, you run right back into your earlier statement that everyone has a different opinion as to what the pool atmosphere and soundtrack should be. And yes, there are 3000 different opinions. Why are you so quick to conclude that "none of us expect heavy metal, rap or opera"? You liken the pool area to a bar. OK. What kind of bar? Metal? Hip hop? Country? Grunge? House? Chill? And yes, I have had drinks in bars at hotels that have live harpists or chamber ensembles. The minute you pick some pablum puking middle of the road crap in an effort to appease everyone, you risk disappointing everyone. I'd much prefer rock or metal to country or easy listening. So I bring my own playlist. Listening to a bad duo heave their way through "Muskrat Love" or a band butcher Achy Breaky Heart (any more than the original can be butchered) would pain me more than I care to think about. So let's forget about the Electric Slide, the Bunny Hop and the Macarena and all enjoy our own music at our own volume instead of having the CD make those calls for us.

Sorry Jimmy...I think you take everything too literally and enjoy disagreeing with anyone who thinks differently than you. My bar analogy was meant to be more general. Some bars are quieter on the ship and others are more for the party crowd. No need to beat your point to death...open your mind a little. A good DJ or band knows how to make a playlist that can appease the majority of the people who have chosen to hang out at the livelier Neptune pool (remember that's where this thread started?)

And Muskrat Love??? Time for Holland America Captain ;)

I do not care if you have a band by the pool and play "classy" pool games. Go for it. What I object to is you calling me (an old person) "boring" and "anti-social" because I am literate. You have insulted several groups of people here, and you don't even seem to recognize it.

You are the "future of Princess" yet you say "it seems the line is becoming more conservative as time goes on." If the future is lively pool parties, then why has the "future," so far, become more "conservative"? Makes no sense to me (but I am an old boring person who reads, so maybe I don't understand someone who is "educated, successful, classy & well-dressed.")

I'm 53 and I enjoy cruising. I enjoy having fun and watching others have fun also. I put on a cap from time to time and I've been known to wear flip-flops too. I refuse to grow old, at least mentally.

Carnival offers a fun cruise! I've enjoyed every one I've been on. A lot of thought and planning is put unto each cruise for passenger enjoyment INCLUDING those activities around the main pool. I think most on the ship REALLY enjoy those activities! In most cases I do.

I really enjoyed the Ruby Princess. The design is great! Different poolside atmospheres for different wants and desires. We aren't all made equal you know? Anything wrong with someone wanting a nicer ship, better entertainment, and better dining but still wanting the option of a festive atmosphere at least a time or two aboard the ship at ONE of the three pool areas?

Three pools, up to three different atmospheres…. Isn't this a no-brainer?

I agree the daytime MUTS is one of the lamest things I have seen on a cruise....a bunch of couch potatoes (now lounge potatoes) watching a film during the day by the pool at sea.....why can't they go to their rooms and watch it...it basically is a sloth activity and Princess will even show documentaries during the day at the pool.....wow....excitement plus...Princess people are not really known for getting up and moving around so a band would be a polar opposite or what fun is to Princess customers.....now a STRING QUARTET.....get your groove on!! D

What's wrong with a nice string quartet? Excellent music and totally appropriate for the Piazza. (Not for the pool though, I have to agree.)

I like music from Bach to, Chopin, to Pink Floyd, to Joplin (both Janis and Scott), to Zeppelin, to...

I like a lot of different types of music. (OK - I hate Rap and Hip Hop.) I can even listen to country music.

Why be limited to one type of music? It's like reading - I read things from Guns, Germs, and Steel to Robert Ludlum, to Terry Pratchett. Variety can be the spice of life. :D

Why be limited to one type of music? It's like reading - I read things from Guns, Germs, and Steel to Robert Ludlum, to Terry Pratchett. Variety can be the spice of life. :D

I guess you didn't read the whole thread? ;) I think you just made OP's point for him. Readers are anti-social and don't like any music. :D

Edited by shredie

I guess you didn't read the whole thread? ;) I think you just made OP's point for him. Readers are anti-social and don't like any music. :D

Yes, I did read the entire thread and taking a small piece of a post out of context doesn't really work well in this case since I did mention that I like many different types of music before saying anything about reading.

I partially agree with the OP but don't agree with all of his statements. I have previously in this thread stated that I don't expect the Neptune's Reef pool area to be a "quiet zone". I don't agree with his "readers are anti-social" stance. One doesn't have to be totally in agreement or totally not in agreement with things someone else says.

If everybody else was totally in agreement with me it would probably be a really boring world for me. It would also be somewhat of a disaster as it's very likely that I'm quite full of excrement in regard to many things.

I'm 53 and I enjoy cruising. I enjoy having fun and watching others have fun also. I put on a cap from time to time and I've been known to wear flip-flops too. I refuse to grow old, at least mentally.

Carnival offers a fun cruise! I've enjoyed every one I've been on. A lot of thought and planning is put unto each cruise for passenger enjoyment INCLUDING those activities around the main pool. I think most on the ship REALLY enjoy those activities! In most cases I do.

I really enjoyed the Ruby Princess. The design is great! Different poolside atmospheres for different wants and desires. We aren't all made equal you know? Anything wrong with someone wanting a nicer ship, better entertainment, and better dining but still wanting the option of a festive atmosphere at least a time or two aboard the ship at ONE of the three pool areas?

I always thought of Royal Caribbean as being a bit in between Carnival and Princess. For what it's worth, I remember the good old days when all ships had bands that would mix in reggae with hits and beach music. It was one of the things I looked forward to on cruises, particularly Caribbean cruises. Those days seem to have fallen victim to cost cutting on just about every line. As for pool games, I'm not a fan, but they should do them once or twice (depending on number of days at sea) a week at the Neptune for the people who enjoy them.

I like music from Bach to, Chopin, to Pink Floyd, to Joplin (both Janis and Scott), to Zeppelin, to...

I like a lot of different types of music. (OK - I hate Rap and Hip Hop.) I can even listen to country music.

Variety can be the spice of life. :D

For someone who is coming off very open minded your "Back to Carnival for you" comment quickly changed my mind:rolleyes:.. My point I was making is when on vacation I like variety.. I don't want a cruise that is exactly the same from the last. I'm female my moods change:p somedays I like fun music, some days I like quiet reading & sometimes I like to see really funny furry chested cruise guests strutting awkwardly to bad music. Making memories & laughing a lot is what I want out of a vacation. As FUN as a cruise ship filled with quietly reading cruise guests with ear buds sounds:eek: I think I'd pick the ship filled with it all dancing, reading, talking, relaxing & laughing!!

Edited by presjade

A few posts above yours is colloquy about the "future of Princess". We need to keep in mind that the future of Princess is not to have three main pools. There is but one main pool that is not "adult only" on the new builds. The whole "you can always go to the adult quiet pool if you don't want loud music" is cold comfort for families who do not qualify for the adult pool, and who do not want loud music. If music and games by the pool were to be the norm on the new builds, it is a sure thing that the main pool would be the location for such. Where do people go to hang out by a quiet pool if they are not eligible to go to the adult only pool? I suppose a family of 4 could go sit on their balcony. ............Or not.

This is exactly why it is common to see a very negative review from a returning guest then a completely different wonderful review from the same sailing.. Must be a very difficult job figuring out how to keep everyone happy & enjoying themselves. So many different ideas of fun. I can say there is ALWAYS something going on that to ME is enjoyable🌟!!

Edited by presjade

FWIW that is one of the reasons I come back to Princess again and again, they've struck the "right" balance for me.

You want the in your face "fun" Carnival, or that image RCCL markets go for that. I find the escape completely and the atmosphere we got on the Ruby perfect and want that again and again. We had a springbreak crowd with kids, loved it, no hairy man, no waiters dancing on the tables, no need for drunks and loud crazy activities one needs that find the right cruise that markets that and you shall receive it more than likely ;)

We just returned from a Mexican Rivera cruise on the Ruby 2 weeks ago and had a great time.

The poolside atmosphere was really boring though - much more so than what I recalled during our past warm weather cruises on Princess

During the 3 sea days, a live band only played one hour a day poolside, with the DJ also only playing for an hour. Other than that, only canned, easy-listening music was being played.

Looking at a Norwegian patter, the same itinerary had either a live band or DJ playing poolside from 11AM until 4PM. And I remember Carnival having both scheduled most of the day as well

There was also only one pool game (a relay race) offered during the entire cruise along with a putting contest.

I remember on our Princess Caribbean cruises in years past they held much more fun and slightly edgier games involving passing balloons hands free, etc

Is this the norm now? While we're not looking for a frat party, more energy and atmosphere would have been appreciated on this warm weather trip.

Otherwise there's certainly no need to book the Sanctuary, as the Neptune poll was certainly quiet enough !

Edited by chipmaster

We have cruised the caribbean exclusively with Princess every March for the past 9 years. All of them were 7 days with the exception of a 4 day last December. Over the years we have seen several men's sexy legs competitions, a hairy chest competition, and something on the 4 day that involved acting like Tarzan. Every age group seemed to be represented. None of these things lasted much longer than 15 to 20 minutes and from what I could see, there were large crowds laughing and enjoying the show. A few times I watched (and laughed), other times I just kept reading my book.:D. I don't see what the big deal is about doing something like this for 15 minutes out of a 7 day cruise. Even the silly pool games they do one afternoon during the week only last a very short time. And just for the record, we are 53, and 54 years old and never once felt that we had to go to the dining room in a t-shirt and baseball hat after watching them.;)

And on a funny note - the winner of the Tarzan competition was a man who looked to be in his mid 70's. He was the only one of the contestants (who were much younger) who knew what Tarzan's yell sounded like! Was it silly - extremely. Did it make a large number of people laugh - yes.

Well I for one would just like to say Thank You Scotto97 for bringing this on going issue to the forefront for us, after both reading and commenting on this topic , I for one would question why anyone would look to the upper deck pool area with the stacked concert speakers as their onboard quite spot and expect others to keep it down for them?

No matter how different our likes or dislikes are the one common bond that we all share is that we love cruising and we love cruising with Princess.

I for one would like to see a more lively atmosphere poolside then the one Princess now offers, I will bring this issue up to the current Cruise Director every chance I get, as we are the cruisers of tomorrow cruising today and as already stated this is by no means being disrespectful of ones right to a onboard quite spot.

John

I guess you have to pay extra for quiet! lol!

Or perhaps that would be "quite." LOL.

Well I for one would just like to say Thank You Scotto97 for bringing this on going issue to the forefront for us, after both reading and commenting on this topic , I for one would question why anyone would look to the upper deck pool area with the stacked concert speakers as their onboard quite spot and expect others to keep it down for them?

No matter how different our likes or dislikes are the one common bond that we all share is that we love cruising and we love cruising with Princess.

I for one would like to see a more lively atmosphere poolside then the one Princess now offers, I will bring this issue up to the current Cruise Director every chance I get, as we are the cruisers of tomorrow cruising today and as already stated this is by no means being disrespectful of ones right to a onboard quite spot.

That would be the smartest move, I think. The situation is not going to change if the only tactic employed is to insult people on a public forum. If the CD does not choose to play loud music on the speakers or host those "classy" pool games, you may have to accept that your wishes are not "the future of Princess." It's a sad thing for you, I know, but so far Princess seems to be catering to the current passengers it has rather than some potential ones from the mythic "future."

We have cruised the caribbean exclusively with Princess every March for the past 9 years. All of them were 7 days with the exception of a 4 day last December. Over the years we have seen several men's sexy legs competitions, a hairy chest competition, and something on the 4 day that involved acting like Tarzan. Every age group seemed to be represented. None of these things lasted much longer than 15 to 20 minutes and from what I could see, there were large crowds laughing and enjoying the show. A few times I watched (and laughed), other times I just kept reading my book.:D. I don't see what the big deal is about doing something like this for 15 minutes out of a 7 day cruise. Even the silly pool games they do one afternoon during the week only last a very short time. And just for the record, we are 53, and 54 years old and never once felt that we had to go to the dining room in a t-shirt and baseball hat after watching them.;)

And on a funny note - the winner of the Tarzan competition was a man who looked to be in his mid 70's. He was the only one of the contestants (who were much younger) who knew what Tarzan's yell sounded like! Was it silly - extremely. Did it make a large number of people laugh - yes.

Hey! I know the Tarzan yell!! I watched all of those old Johnny Weismuller movies on TV when I was a kid.

9k=MV5BMTY3MDE0NzQ5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODY3ODM2._V1_SY317_CR10,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Unfortunately, while I may be able to do an approximation of Tarzan's yell, these days my upper body looks more like Jane's. :eek:

John

As another "cruiser of tomorrow cruising today", it deserves stating that you don't speak for me.

I'll reiterate from my previous post -- When I would like to swim some short laps and stretch out a little more in a larger pool, I would prefer not to have ear-deafening music, nor juvenile pool games interfering with my enjoyment of the Lido pool area(s).

Princess may not be the Benny Goodman line, nor is it the Snoop Dogg line, but I prefer to think that the clientele that Princess attracts and caters to is absolutely a more refined mature crowd than what other contemporary lines may tend to attract. That's not say that Princess cruisers don't like to let loose a bit, but many may not be feeling the need to party hard.