Disappointing upsell offer

Bedruthen

Well, that is a bit different - Penthouse certainly can handle 3 people, but I am not sure all the Neptunes can.

Maybe you read that people with 3 in the cabin cannot book a guarantee?

That is what we were told when we booked my daughter, her husband and their son.

That makes more sense.

We always have to book a specific cabin - early - because DH requires a HC cabin.

We've been offered upsells on occasion. Some we've taken, some we have turned down because the price was quite high.

Because there are so few HC cabins, upsells aren't always available to us.

I would think that HAL offers the Neptune upgrade first to the next lowest category (like Vista or Signature). If no takers, then they might go a notch lower.

Besides, if a Vista takes the upsell, then they can offer that cabin as an upsell to the outside cabins - make more money that way.

I don't think that's the case as the offer is for both Signature and Neptune suites, though obviously different upgrade costs. We are in an aft verandah and yes we did book the cabin we are happy to be in

I agree that it is always annoying when you book a cabin and then see it offered at a lower price. In that respect those of you in the States do get a better deal, as I believe if you see a cabin offered at a lower cost, you can ring up and get your cost reduced. Is that right? In the UK our T&C's are different and once booked that's the price we have to pay.

Edited by Bedruthen

That's the problem HAL creates by giving some of those really low upsell offers. People come to expect them. While we all would like to get more cabin for less money, there are actually many who are paying full price for those suites/cabins. We should only expect to be assigned that category/cabin which we booked and paid for. Anything else should be a pleasant surprise but has become an expectation by many of us.

OP.... I'm not coming at you. Really I am not. It's just I've been watching this 'expectation of more for less' for years and it was inevitable people would be disappointed when they, too, did not get a $5,000 cabin for a whole lot less than that. No one wants to be played the fool and pay the $5,000 when they know others automatically and regularly get it for less.

I KNOW this is not a popular post, I don't mean it against any specific person(s) but it is an observation I've been recognizing often and HAL has set themselves up for some disgruntled cruisers.

I agree with you. I read these posts so many times and wonder why people think they're entitled to get more than they pay for.

I sometimes think I am the fool for paying full price when all these posters come here and brag about the deals they received.

In the past we have traveled with three persons. We have to book a suite in order to be comfortable and pay for it up front. Then someone who books a verandah gets a suite deal and pays half of the price we did. It doesn't make us happy to hear this.

Terri

I'm in total agreement with both of you. It does make you feel foolish to have paid full price for your cabin and the person next to you paid half that.

That's the problem HAL creates by giving some of those really low upsell offers. People come to expect them. While we all would like to get more cabin for less money, there are actually many who are paying full price for those suites/cabins. We should only expect to be assigned that category/cabin which we booked and paid for. Anything else should be a pleasant surprise but has become an expectation by many of us.

OP.... I'm not coming at you. Really I am not. It's just I've been watching this 'expectation of more for less' for years and it was inevitable people would be disappointed when they, too, did not get a $5,000 cabin for a whole lot less than that. No one wants to be played the fool and pay the $5,000 when they know others automatically and regularly get it for less.

I KNOW this is not a popular post, I don't mean it against any specific person(s) but it is an observation I've been recognizing often and HAL has set themselves up for some disgruntled cruisers.

I agree with what you are saying. We were very spoiled in the past with NCL, we got 3 incredible upsells on our first 3 cruises and the last cruise we booked an obstructed OV hoping for an upsell and...no upsell. The ship was booked solid. We took a chance with booking less cabin than we really wanted, and we got the room we booked. You can't count on the awesome upsells.

This time on the Veendam we booked way early and didn't get a deal on the fare. But we wanted a specific type cabin in a specific area, and that's what we booked, so we can't complain. We got what we wanted, it just cost us a little more than waiting for a big fare sale or the random upsell that may not be forthcoming. I know there may be people who end up paying less for a bigger suite due to the upsell system, but again we booked what we really wanted and chose no automatic upgrade so we aren't expecting an upsell offer. We did though manage to get in on the Explore 4 deal, which is kind of fun. We are not big drinkers but it will be nice to order beverages and cocktails knowing they are pre-paid. SBP's are something we would never buy for ourselves because we would never drink 15 drinks each per day, that's a lot even including bottles of water, coffee, and soft drinks. As this is our first HAL cruise we thought the Explore4 is a nice introduction to HAL. We got upsells but no other types of perks with NCL, even when we paid full fare. The most we got from NCL was a reduced deposit due to FCD's.

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl
add info

I had a brief brush with Upsell buyers remorse last week when someone mentioned to me that she was upgraded to a verandah for no cost.

But then it dawned on me that I have no idea how much she paid for her original inside room. It is quite possible that she paid a similar amount as I did even with my upsell. If HAL is going to upgrade people at no cost, then I would expect them to start with those that paid more. If someone is getting stuck with the inside room, it darn well ought to be the person who paid the least.

We have only been offered an upsell once and it was in a poor location so we

didn't take it. Never been offered an upgrade in over 500 days of cruising with HAL but our friends, on their very first cruise with them were upgraded, free of charge, from an inside cabin to a balcony. that really bothered me - why upgrade people who paid the least rather than those who paid a lot more.

Figure out what price you would be happy with and communicate that to your agent. I've previously told my TA that I'd take an upsell to X category for $X and that she could accept any offer meeting that without needing to contact me...

Might save some of that delay.

Our TA already know what we consider good, and just handles the rest. Right now, I keep checking my reservation to see if I have an assignment. Someone here in CC has said you see it first on the luggage tags, so I see we'll be sailing in the "staple here" room. I hope it's nice.

I'm in total agreement with both of you. It does make you feel foolish to have paid full price for your cabin and the person next to you paid half that.

I don't think you should feel foolish. We (cruisers) choose what we want, sometimes early, so that our needs (such as three people in a room) are met and we know we have the right room and date. At the time we book, we accept the price. For people who take the risk of waiting, well, it's not really my concern how much they pay. So sometimes I'm the early booker and sometimes I'm the opportunist. Just like I'll sometimes spend more on a pair of shoes because I really want them and think my size will be gone before they go on sale. I got what I wanted at a price I considered good at the time.

Now, if anyone wants to give me a Neptune suite...

I never feel foolish paying the published fare for the cabin I want.

Even if the person next door paid 70% of what I did, so what? I got to book the cabin of my choice. I got to be secure in the knowledge that I would have the space, amenities and location that are important to me. They took what was left at the time. Maybe they got a great deal. Good for them. But maybe I got a good deal compared with the couple on the other side, because I paid in CAD and they paid in GBP.

I have no problem discussing sex, religion or politics. But I would never discuss fares in the dining room! ;)

This discussion is also going on on another forum; my response there is equally true here...

At the risk of sounding a bit "snarky," my advice is to book and emotionally accept what you want and are willing to pay for in terms of ship, itinerary, stateroom, etc.

If you are all that upset by the occasional subsequently lowered fare or added amenities you don't/didn't get then you should probably stay away from cruises altogether. Conversely, any later discounts, amenities, upsells, downsells, or whatever that you are able to take advantage of are pleasant surprises (icing on the cake, so to speak).

Those things happen on every line - sometimes you're on the right side of the deal and sometimes you're not.

Some good points thus far!

On some cruises we have "paid up" for a cabin we really wanted (like a corner aft for the Panama Canal), as we felt it was worth the price. Most other times we have booked a cabin we would be happy with and then hope for an upsell. If we get it, GREAT! If not, we are still happy with our choice.

Do we pay more this way - sometimes. But the main point is we are happy with the deal we have.

I study the deck plans and find the lowest acceptable cabin category for us. Then we book that level as a guarantee. Whatever we get is fine with us.

We book a long time out, and pay whatever the price is at that time. We need to arrange time away, pet care, business coverage, air arrangements, hotels, etc. We don't have the luxury of being able to drop and go, unlike many who live near a port.

Some people complain that they "overpaid" because they book early. For us, booking early is the only way we can travel. If we pay more than the person in the cabin next to us, that's life. That's what we have to do. Some people want or need a specific cabin. That's what they have to do, too. I can make myself nuts that someone got a better deal, or I can be glad I had plenty of time to make all the arrangements we need to make in order to travel. It's a choice. I choose to be glad.

As far as upsells, I will never ever disclose what the $$$ involved in an upsell is.

Our TA already know what we consider good, and just handles the rest. Right now, I keep checking my reservation to see if I have an assignment. Someone here in CC has said you see it first on the luggage tags, so I see we'll be sailing in the "staple here" room. I hope it's nice.

LOL! :D I find people who book guarantee cabins to be very brave. I'm too much of a control freak to handle that kind of anticipation.

Lorie

I never feel foolish paying the published fare for the cabin I want.

Even if the person next door paid 70% of what I did, so what? I got to book the cabin of my choice. I got to be secure in the knowledge that I would have the space, amenities and location that are important to me. They took what was left at the time. Maybe they got a great deal. Good for them. But maybe I got a good deal compared with the couple on the other side, because I paid in CAD and they paid in GBP.

;)

Agree - we book when we are ready but have a great TA who gets us decent pricing and has gotten us reductions now and again plus lots of OBC. We book a specific cabin where we know we will be happy. In fact, we have recently booked the same cabin on the Amsterdam - for the 3rd time - and no one needs to know what we are paying.

Never thought of cruise shopping as a competitive sport but could be fun!

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I wouldn't dream of disclosing to anyone on the ship what I paid for a cruise. Who would be so rude to ask? :confused:
[/B][/QUOTE]

Actually have had two or three people ask......I tell them more than a nickel. :)

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I wouldn't dream of disclosing to anyone on the ship what I paid for a cruise. Who would be so rude to ask? :confused:
[/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]I agree Sail's but there are many people who come to the boards and make a point of saying what they paid for an up sell, let say to a Neptune Suite from a SY guarantee. That's when you find out they have spent 2 to 3 thousand dollars less for their cruise in a NS compared to what a full paying customer has.

[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='CowPrincess']We book a long time out, and pay whatever the price is at that time. We need to arrange time away, pet care, business coverage, air arrangements, hotels, etc. We don't have the luxury of being able to drop and go, unlike many who live near a port.[/QUOTE] Excellent point that very many cruisers have to deal with. Have to lock things in early, and that's when prices tend to be higher than "fill the ship" bargains later on.

[/B][/QUOTE] Exactly! I was raised to never ask people what they earned or what they paid for things. My transactions are between me and the provider.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I have been asked on occasion and my answer is always the same. I don't think anyone pays the same price for their cruise. There are a lot of variables.
Terri

Keep in mind that most upsells typically happen in the last week or two prior to sailaway and can frequently happen just a few days away, dependent on itinerary.

I agree with all who say - book the room/category you will be happy with, should no upsells which match your financial expectations come your way.

And BTW - if you or your TA mark your reservation "Do not change/upgrade", you typically will not get the upsell email.

[quote name='boze9999']Keep in mind that most upsells typically happen in the last week or two prior to sailaway and can frequently happen just a few days away, dependent on itinerary.

I agree with all who say - book the room/category you will be happy with, should no upsells which match your financial expectations come your way.

And BTW - if you or your TA mark your reservation "Do not change/upgrade", you typically will not get the upsell email.[/QUOTE]

Interesting theory. I just got 5 upsell offers in the 10 days prior to departure and had " do not upgrade" on the booking. I have always had that request when we don't do a guarantee. This was the first time though that I kept my booking and didn't turn it over to my TA.

[quote name='TiogaCruiser']Interesting theory. I just got 5 upsell offers in the 10 days prior to departure and had " do not upgrade" on the booking. I have always had that request when we don't do a guarantee. This was the first time though that I kept my booking and didn't turn it over to my TA.[/QUOTE]

Good and interesting to know TiogaCruiser. Edited by boze9999