Drink price increase?

But but but, thats what you would pay at a local bar! :rolleyes:

Yes its beyond ridiculous and about 3X what it would cost me at any local establishment i would frequent.

Maybe a local bar with a pole dancer stage!

The higher end establishments in Dallas and in Los Angeles are priced similarly. But, though I like RCI I don't see it as a "Higher End" cruise line. Also on land, it's easier to say "I'm not paying Hotel Zsa Zsa/Dragonfly drink prices" and just go someplace else. A bit hard to do on a ship since you're a captive audience. I'm all for the higher priced cocktails like Celebrity concocts in the Molecular bar, but I think there should also be a more reasonable price for a generic rum and coke or other "non frou frou" drinks. I mean how much alcohol, soda, time and LABOR goes into making a 7&7?

Hi,

Wow, that is a lot. Is that with the house brand vodka? I am a grey goose vodka girl, did you notice how much they were charging for the those drinks. It might be worth it to me to purchase the drink package at these prices. Does anyone know if grey goose is included with the package?

Unless the Grey Goose is laying golden eggs or peeing out gold vodka I'm not buying.

Really that is interesting. I wonder why the price difference. Or why the increase. Sounds like they are pushing the drink package.

Yes. And if you quote a cruise price, in most cases it will cost hundreds more with the drink package though they try to hide that. They're trying to make it look like the package is "free" but it isn't........

But but but, thats what you would pay at a local bar! :rolleyes:

Yes its beyond ridiculous and about 3X what it would cost me at any local establishment i would frequent.

Yeah that's what the price defenders would say!:rolleyes: Ridiculous. We like a few cocktails, but will stick with the freebie's at the Diamond lounge and/or vouchers. No way I am paying them hundreds for drinks, whether it be per drink or by the package.

I bought my drink packages also thinking the prices will go up, however if you read the terms and conditions it indicates that they can increase the price at anytime, now I am wondering if they do does that mean I have to pay more money or will they honor the price I paid.

Well if it makes anyone feel any better, there is a discussion on the Carny boards in regards to carnival charging for certain room service items now. And of course, a large number of people are defending Carnival--"oh well, I'll gladly pay extra for XYZ, etc.". I seriously think that some people have no clue on how much they are actually spending. It all adds up, and very quickly--but that's ok, because it's making the cruise lines money hand over fist! Amazing.....

I think that is a ridiculous price for such a drink.

It was ! I remember it clearly because it was at the schooner bar, just before 8pm., my wife went to the bar from the restaurant to get a drink that was loaded on the seapass card (diamond). Instead of a "0" balance, it showed $14 and change. The charge was later reversed because it was before 8pm, but I could not believe they would charge that ?

Serenade two weeks ago a vodka and grapefruit juice was $14 including the 18% tip

That is the most ridiculous pricing that I have ever heard. I will go back to my early cruising days and purchase no alcohol. Nothing is worth that much to me.

We could have an alcohol embargo! If we stopped paying for the drinks and RCCL saw how much they were losing, do you think they would lower the prices quickly? $10 for a rum & coke is ridiculous...

We could have an alcohol embargo! If we stopped paying for the drinks and RCCL saw how much they were losing, do you think they would lower the prices quickly? $10 for a rum & coke is ridiculous...

No, because there are far too many people who would not question or challenge their pricing, as evidenced by several other currently running threads on CC. The ones who are ok with the prices are the first ones to say "well then don't cruise on whatever cruise line," or "then don't buy such and such if you think the prices are too high," or "that's how capitalism works." Basically something to blindly defend the price gouging practice.

On Legend of the Seas (3/20/2015). My DH had a Bloody Mary $11 plus the 18% gratuity. I had the Drink of the Day $7.95 plus gratuity. We will not be pushed into the drink packages. It would have been approximately $1000 for two drink packages for my DH and me. I just cannot justify that amount of money for alcohol. So we purchase what is appropriate for us and our liver is thankful!

Well if it makes anyone feel any better, there is a discussion on the Carny boards in regards to carnival charging for certain room service items now. And of course, a large number of people are defending Carnival--"oh well, I'll gladly pay extra for XYZ, etc.". I seriously think that some people have no clue on how much they are actually spending. It all adds up, and very quickly--but that's ok, because it's making the cruise lines money hand over fist! Amazing.....

There was thread awhile ago about this happening on Quantum also. And some people really will defend any charge that the cruise lines come up with.

No, because there are far too many people who would not question or challenge their pricing, as evidenced by several other currently running threads on CC. The ones who are ok with the prices are the first ones to say "well then don't cruise on whatever cruise line," or "then don't buy such and such if you think the prices are too high," or "that's how capitalism works." Basically something to blindly defend the price gouging practice.

Then there are the ones who will tell you if you don't like it you could always go camping. And don't forget the group who subscribe to the theory that they are on vacation and just plain don't worry about such trivial matters.:rolleyes:

I think it is just upsetting because we were used to reasonably priced drinks on board. It was vacation and it was a nice time to enjoy your favorite cocktail. No worries about a "Designated Driver"! But when the prices are no longer reasonable then choices have to be made. A few years ago we were at a Disney World area hotel and we ordered Margaritas at the pool bar. After enjoying 2 each we had a $60 plus tips bill. It was fun but the next night went a local Mexican restaurant for drinks and dinner.

I think the "Drink of the Day" is still a good price and I will probably stick with those. DH usually doesn't pick that kind of drink.