Elite Plus and Drink Package...

Bruin Steve

For someone trying not to be snobby you sure are doing a good job, you could have fooled us. Don't need to say anymore, you seem to have all the answers

You probably already realize that a statement like that does not encourage others to share their perspectives, but just in case you did not.

Based on the title of this thread I thought the post that bothered you was right on the subject. i appreciate all input except ones that insult my fellow cruise critic members.

You probably already realize that a statement like that does not encourage others to share their perspectives, but just in case you did not.

Based on the title of this thread I thought the post that bothered you was right on the subject. i appreciate all input except ones that insult my fellow cruise critic members.

Thank you!

I was thinking the same thing.

Steve just made some valid comparisons.

For someone trying not to be snobby you sure are doing a good job...

Unfortunately, sometimes, in discussions on here you have to note that you are Elite or Elite Plus...It makes a vast difference in this particular discussion...

The decisions regarding the 123Go Free Classic Drink Package are far different for those of us with Elite or Elite Plus Captains Club status...It is not merely a question of "free drinks" versus "pay for all those drinks" as it is for someone lacking the status...It is a question of having the package for some extended drinking times. A lot of our drinks (pre-dinner drinks for Elites, pre-dinner drinks and specialty coffees for Elite Plus) are already covered...So, the benefit is very different and not nearly as valuable...

So, unfortunately, it is important, in asking this question, to make that class distinction...

Sorry it offended you somehow...

As the Elite drinks are too early for us, often we are just back on board from our day out and we never eat before 8, we always take the package if it is offered as a perk. If they were more flexible also on the dress code, we might think differently, but to have to change out if shorts before 5 is too early

This is a point that matters for us as well. One of my favorite things to do on a cruise used to be my late afternoon nap before getting ready for the late dinner. Now if we do not have a drink package, DH is nagging me to get showered and ready to go by 6:00 at the latest:(. It is frustrating that the hours are so short and that coupons are not always used. I much prefer Celebrity over RCCI, but when it comes to drink benefits RCCI wins hands down - a room available every single night, a longer drinking period, and three drinks added to your card every day which allows much more flexibility. This is one area where I wish Celebrity would follow the lead!

This is a point that matters for us as well. One of my favorite things to do on a cruise used to be my late afternoon nap before getting ready for the late dinner. Now if we do not have a drink package, DH is nagging me to get showered and ready to go by 6:00 at the latest:(. It is frustrating that the hours are so short and that coupons are not always used. I much prefer Celebrity over RCCI, but when it comes to drink benefits RCCI wins hands down - a room available every single night, a longer drinking period, and three drinks added to your card every day which allows much more flexibility. This is one area where I wish Celebrity would follow the lead!

We are Diamond on RCCI, so therefore would be Elite on Celebrity. We haven't sailed Celebrity yet, but are looking to book maybe for next year. So, in following this discussion, I'm wondering, what exactly is the Elite benefit regarding the cocktails? We never get the drink package. We're not big drinkers, but do enjoy either the time in the Diamond Lounge or the drinks loaded to the card. I believe on RCCI, if there is a dedicated lounge on any particular ship, you can get drinks there between 5:00-8:00 (could be wrong, but think that's what it was) .... and with the loaded coupons, again, each person can get 3 drinks daily between those same hours at any bar. Could someone tell me the difference? None of this is a deal breaker for us, but I'm curious. Thanx!

We are Diamond on RCCI, so therefore would be Elite on Celebrity. We haven't sailed Celebrity yet, but are looking to book maybe for next year. So, in following this discussion, I'm wondering, what exactly is the Elite benefit regarding the cocktails? We never get the drink package. We're not big drinkers, but do enjoy either the time in the Diamond Lounge or the drinks loaded to the card. I believe on RCCI, if there is a dedicated lounge on any particular ship, you can get drinks there between 5:00-8:00 (could be wrong, but think that's what it was) .... and with the loaded coupons, again, each person can get 3 drinks daily between those same hours at any bar. Could someone tell me the difference? None of this is a deal breaker for us, but I'm curious. Thanx!

On Celebrity, when they first rolled this thing out, it was from 4:00-6:00 pm in Michael's Club--a very posh-decorated small lounge on Celebrity ships...

A couple of years later, they shifted the hours to 5:00-7:00...

And, as the numbers of eligible Elites grew (especially after they granted RCCL Diamonds reciprocity), they started moving it to a larger venue--typically the Sky Lounge...

Similar to RCCL, there is a limited menu of drinks--but a decent selection...

On some ships/some sailings of late--typically Trans-Atlantics, for example, where they have WAY too many Elites, they have moved to a voucher system rather than the dedicated lounge--but we've never experienced that...

I do enjoy the longer hours on RCCL, but, to be honest, there's only so long I linger in the Diamond Lounge there--as my wife wants to eventually eat dinner, then go to the show...So, two hours works out well enough for me...I'll get there at 5:00 and we'll head to dinner by 7:00...

The actual experience is pretty much the same--The service is excellent, the waiters tend to remember what you drink and refill often...They also have waiters coming around with hors d'ouevres...

Thanx Bruin Steve! Yes, agree, we really don't need the 3 hours! We enjoyed the Diamond Lounge on the Oasis, the other people and they sometimes had appetizers ... and the waiters there seemed to remember the drink orders, but seriously, guess I'm like your wife ... a drink or two maybe ... but let's get to dinner and a show or something else! :) Our last cruise on the Explorer, they didn't have a dedicated Diamond Lounge, but set up every night in another area for those who wanted to go, but all you could get was champagne and wine, I think. We actually never went, we just used the vouchers at a bar where again the bartender got to know what we wanted, had a couple of drinks and went to dinner. It's a nice touch and my husband really enjoys it especially, but as I said, not a deal breaker. Sounds like Celebrity's process would work fine for us. :)

For someone trying not to be snobby you sure are doing a good job, you could have fooled us. Don't need to say anymore, you seem to have all the answers
Not that Bruin Steve needs anyone else to defend him, but in fairness I just wanted to jump in here to say that he is one of the nicest, most helpful members on this board.

There is nothing snobby about him at all.

Hope that you will have the chance to read more of his posts and change your opinion.

Not that Bruin Steve needs anyone else to defend him, but in fairness I just wanted to jump in here to say that he is one of the nicest, most helpful members on this board.

There is nothing snobby about him at all.

Hope that you will have the chance to read more of his posts and change your opinion.

As someone who just asked a question .... Bruin Steve was VERY helpful to me! Just sayin! :)

Steve, I do apologize for my comment yesterday, you are obviously I good guy, and well liked on the website. I'm Elite with Celebrity, but do not go to the evening cocktail event, we enjoy having the drink package and like using it throughout the day, and also at the various Venues around the ship in the evenings and at the nightly shows. I guess different strokes for different folks. Enjoy your cruises !

Steve, I do apologize for my comment yesterday, you are obviously I good guy, and well liked on the website. I'm Elite with Celebrity, but do not go to the evening cocktail event, we enjoy having the drink package and like using it throughout the day, and also at the various Venues around the ship in the evenings and at the nightly shows. I guess different strokes for different folks. Enjoy your cruises !

Nice of you to apologize

It's hard to go with a drink package when you're not a big drinker. I rarely ever drink alcohol. I have nothing against it or others that drink it, it just doesn't taste good to me and I don't like feeling all "woozie". Give me a bottle of water or Diet Coke and I'm a happy camper.

Despite that, on our two upcoming X cruises, we have the drink package, $300 OBC and free gratuities. Surprisingly, I'm really looking forward to not having to pay for drinks! It's the hassle of having to do it and the freedom that comes with it that is so attractive. Maybe that will count for something with you too, Steve?

Edited by DrivesLikeMario